Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 194 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread That time Sonic TP'd himself

#2896 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostBluexBlur, on 13 May 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

Well, this is late but here's the higher quality versions of the NPC, Sticks, and Q-N-C concept art.

http://imgur.com/a/qjGAy

Why the fuck is everyone a hedgehog? Like damn.
This post has been edited by JaxTH: 13 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

#2897 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
^ It makes some sense actually. Sonic and Amy are both hedgehogs, so you'd probably assume that they are from some kinda hedgehog society. Knuckles is the last of his kind still and Sticks is a forest dwelling loner, so you wouldn't expect more of them. Only other one is Tails. Having a lot of hedgehogs makes more sense than the current cartoon having 1 of every animal. If there's only 1 of them where did any of them come from? And yea, I know, cartoons don't worry I don't care that much.

I just noticed something in that trailer. Sonic, Amy, and Knuckles had some minor design changes before everything was finalized. Knuckles had his lego shoe pads, Sonic didn't have tape around his gloves, and at one point it looks like Amy had a scarf too.

Even the models have some design differences. Sonic had fingerless gloves and the inside of his arms were still tan.

Models aside though, shame the alpha of the game looked more finished than the final, to an even greater extreme than Sonic 06 even (I mean there were some missing animations and stuff but from what we saw everything was pretty much the same, just it turned out to be very underwhelming). But hey if this didn't bomb so hard maybe Sega wouldn't have ever greenlit Sonic Mania, so if this had to fail for that to exist then I'm ok with this :specialed:
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 13 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

#2898 User is offline rebelcheese 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostDark Sonic, on 13 May 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Models aside though, shame the alpha of the game looked more finished than the final, to an even greater extreme than Sonic 06 even (I mean there were some missing animations and stuff but from what we saw everything was pretty much the same, just it turned out to be very underwhelming). But hey if this didn't bomb so hard maybe Sega wouldn't have ever greenlit Sonic Mania, so if this had to fail for that to exist then I'm ok with this :specialed:/>

The reason for this was because the game was originally being developed for PC/PS4/XBone in mind, but SEGA's exclusivity contract with Nintendo required them to make one more Sonic game for the Wii U. The CryEngine that the game was being made on couldn't work properly on the Wii U so the game had to be rebuilt in a hurry and then the plot had to have entire sections removed because it wasn't lining up with the cartoon enough.

Rise of Lyric was the victim of horrific timing in a lot of ways.

#2899 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
Yea the game lining up with the cartoon is strange. What came first? Which one held more influence? Why has nothing from the game been brought into the show universe (like wheres not uncle chuck aka cliff). Funny that the 1st episode of the show used the game's plane, but then changed to the orange one seen since.

This thing seemed doomed from the start unfortunately

#2900 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

• Wiki edits:6
The blue plane, the one from the game, gets destroyed/sinks in the lake in the pilot. It's one of the few instances of any actual continuity of the show, and was done for the sole purpose of loosely tying into the games.

#2901 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Iirc they did put some more characters from Rise of Lyric into the TV show in the latter half of the first season, like Perci. But besides that, yeah there's not that much tying Rise of Lyric to the show. Sticks also seems to just be inserted into the game as an NPC to sorta tie it into the show.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 14 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

#2902 User is offline rebelcheese 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostDark Sonic, on 14 May 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Yea the game lining up with the cartoon is strange. What came first? Which one held more influence? Why has nothing from the game been brought into the show universe (like wheres not uncle chuck aka cliff). Funny that the 1st episode of the show used the game's plane, but then changed to the orange one seen since.

This thing seemed doomed from the start unfortunately

I am not sure it matters, but it's pretty clear that Big Red Button had a drastically different story and environment in mind than the TV show people did, and the game people lost the creative arguments.

Which is a bit of a shame as it looks like from the alpha builds they had some good ideas. It could have been a solid Rayman 2-esque platformer even if we would question it being an actual "Sonic" game.
This post has been edited by rebelcheese: 14 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

• 194 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users