Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Help an idiot softmod a PSP Slim - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Help an idiot softmod a PSP Slim Uhm, help me out..?

#16 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

View Postgrap3fruitman, on Apr 7 2008, 09:46 AM, said:

I've got a Pandora battery. Came with. I guess that's why the guy that sold it to me said it didn't turn on. What do I do now? =P

You, erm... buy a regular battery? I would have thought that'd be obvious.

#17 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
Nope. If you got an AC Adapter with it, just plug it in to the wall. What you'll need is a memory stick to make into a "pandora's key." There's applications out there that can convert a battery between factory mode and commercial mode. That's how I was able to mod my friend's PSP without a second battery.

#18 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

• Wiki edits:5

View PostTweaker, on Apr 7 2008, 09:23 AM, said:

You, erm... buy a regular battery? I would have thought that'd be obvious.

Getting a Pandora's battery is apparently the first step in getting closer to solving these issues:

View Postgrap3fruitman, on Apr 7 2008, 01:45 AM, said:

grap needs psp halps as well I don't wanna make a new topic though

-can't upgrade to 3.90m33 according to the error I get and google the guy who owned this previously fucked over the nand flash or something
-currently running 3.71m33-4 (upgraded from m33-2)
-can't get picodrive to run

Durr Tweaker.

#19 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

You already HAVE a pandora battery, like I told you before in the IRC channel. IIRC, the PSP flasher programs won't work unless you have an actual battery inserted, unless you finally went and got one of those.

If your NAND flash is fucked due to a physical anomaly, then you need to get a new PSP. If it's simply due to some corrupted files, then just set up a pandora key for your battery and reflash the whole firmware. If that doesn't work, then I have no idea what the hell is wrong. I've never had these issues.

#20 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

• Wiki edits:4
I tried making my own battery, a friend of mine's PSP wasn't working so he gave me his 2nd battery. I had slowly been cutting the case open, I tried to pull it apart following the instructions on some site, and then there was a spark of death. So I decided I'm going to hold off on anything with my PSP until I get the money to order a tool battery or can get someone to sell me one that'd take cash. Oh well I had never done any kind of hardware mod like this before, and I wasn't too upset, I just saw it as a learning experience.

#21 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

• Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer
  • Project:Becoming a Twitch partner, and getting my life back together
  • Wiki edits:196
Well, I bricked my modded psp when tring to update it months ago.

I just bought a pandora's battery today, because I am too lazy to buy a normal battery and mod it myself. =P
I am just unsure if it will unbrick that psp...

#22 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Yes, it will. The Pandora battery can unbrick any PSP due to the nature of how it works.

The whole concept of bricking is basically corrupted files in the flash storage, making it so the PSP can't correctly boot the XMB. However, the Pandora battery triggers the PSP "service" mode, which allows a program to be run—in this case, a flasher, allowing you to flash either 1.5 or a custom firmware onto the PSP's flash storage, restoring it into a working state.

#23 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

Alright, thanks for that piece of information. Now that I know this, I will be able to have two working and modified psp's. :(

#24 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Why would you need 2 PSPs is my question.

#25 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Well, no reason, really. My first psp had a accident, it fell in a river, while in my pocket. It wasn't completely ruined however. It turns on and can play mp3's and videos. The analog is broken and so is the laser to read UMD's. So the second was to be the one to play UMD's and mods. But I bricked that one, and would like to mod the umd unable'd one, while fixing the other.
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 09 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users