Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA planning "Revival of major IPs" in road to 2020 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SEGA planning "Revival of major IPs" in road to 2020

#46 User is offline Burezu 

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

• Butt.
  • Project:http://bit.ly/2qKLOPW

View PostJohnBoyAdvance, on 16 May 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Still surprised Sega never really whored out their Dreamcast library that much. Saturn I can understand.

This is something I think about constantly. They could have kept chucking out those Dreamcast Collection compilations and I'm sure they'd still sell. It's a shame we only got the one. Granted, I'm sure they just saw single purchases from Steam/XBLA/PSN and said there's no need to package them. But since Sega has been releasing updated versions of games these last couple months (Bayonetta/Vanquish), I wouldn't be shocked to see Sonic Unleashed or Jet Set Radio Future making their way to your desired platform in the near future. Both franchises celebrate their anniversaries in June! Let's hope! I'd be fine with this push for games is just mass porting classics from all the Sega consoles to Steam/XBLA/PSN/eShop. Especially the Nintendo eShop. I'd die happy if I could have the Sonic Adventure games, and Jet Set Radio games on my Switch!

Phantasy Star would be an interesting game to revive as well. With games like I Am Setsuna becoming more popular, I'd love to see a new Phantasy Star V or something. If not, I'd be fine with them porting Phantasy Star Online 2 to Switch.

#47 User is offline witapepsi 

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

• Meseta Stealer
  • Project:Just discovering!
I've been keeping an eye on the PSO2 English website for a couple months. The website was supposed to expire at the end of May of this year. A couple days after the IP revival news, I remembered that the website was supposed to be gone by now. Lo and behold, SEGA renewed the website for another year, two days after the announcement.

Hopefully this wasn't an automatic renewal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at the same time, SEGA needs to redo the website. There's still placeholder text on a couple pages.
This post has been edited by witapepsi: 01 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

#48 User is offline Burezu 

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

• Butt.
  • Project:http://bit.ly/2qKLOPW

View Postwitapepsi, on 01 June 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

I've been keeping an eye on the PSO2 English website for a couple months. The website was supposed to expire at the end of May of this year. A couple days after the IP revival news, I remembered that the website was supposed to be gone by now. Lo and behold, SEGA renewed the website for another year, two days after the announcement.

Hopefully this wasn't an automatic renewal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at the same time, SEGA needs to redo the website. There's still placeholder text on a couple pages.

I'm certain it was a roll over. But, it's a hell of a coincidence.

There's nothing more I want then the US getting a proper English version of PSO2. I have no faith it'll happen at this point though. The only way I could see it happening is if the made a new version (probably if and when we move on to PSO3) that includes all the story and character side-quests into an offline mode, ala Phantasy Star Online DC/NGC/XB. They could even include an online mode that's just super stripped down and more akin to how games like Monster Hunter run on the 3DS. Small lobbies just for 2-4 players to play missions together. (It'd be a perfect way for Sega to compete against MoHun on the Switch, though.)

I don't think any of that will happen though. I just think the franchise is dead in the west to Sega.

#49 User is offline FollOw 

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:15 PM

• Up down and all around
  • Project:My own music, ask me about it
  • Wiki edits:1
Ecco the dolphin...pleaseeeeeee Sega

#50 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

• Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
I don't know, man. Seeing a PSO2 logo on English slides is making me WANT them to finally bring the game over, but I know that this far on it is incredibly unlikely

#51 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
I want to see Clockwork Knight and Astal!

#52 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostBurezu, on 25 May 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Phantasy Star would be an interesting game to revive as well. With games like I Am Setsuna becoming more popular, I'd love to see a new Phantasy Star V or something. If not, I'd be fine with them porting Phantasy Star Online 2 to Switch.

Maybe we can get Sega to do a game combining Classic Phantasy Star and the Modern Phantasy Star Online and call it Phantasy Star Generations (of Doom) :specialed:

Being serious, you have no idea how much I'd love if it there was some equivalent of Sonic Mania for the classic Phantasy Star series - but given how unpopular that series is in Japan - I don't expect SoJ to ever let that happen.

#53 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
I would be so down for a Phantasy Star Mania, so long as it didn't gloss over Phantasy Star 3.

#54 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

So we can do what PS IV did and have one side-area that references it and ignores it after that?

Because that's probably the most I can stomach of III. :v:

#55 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
aw, that's unfortunate. PSIII is actually my favourite, and my second favourite in the entire series following PSO (for DC).

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users