Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Ages (Nintendo Switch) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sega Ages (Nintendo Switch)

#76 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16

View Postdot.kh, on 29 September 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

First time hearing about Mega Play, definitely have to try that out someday. But blurry pixels are giving me headache, why can't they just zoom in on the games and the rest stays unchanged?

With sonic at least you can use 'dot by dot' which is the game scaled up perfectly, then you can select a black frame and it's about as good as it can get without filters.

I personally like the teal looking background, it's a nice colour and much nicer then the default frame.

#77 User is offline Kushami 

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:32 AM

One thing I'm curious about is what method are they using to patch in the spin dash? These are emulations, right? So inside the game files, does there exist an official patched rom? Or is it being patched in on the fly? I'm curious how these are working.

One thing I'll say is these Sonic emulations have merit in conjunction with the taxman ports. I feel like those are almost more like enhanced remakes, with extra content though aren't always 100% accurate to the original in favor of a more modern experience. The SegaAges stuff tends to be more preservationist and accurate to the original experience (well, so long as the emulation is decent.) I feel like they both have their places. In the end, I'd love to have both ports, but that's just me.

I do wish the SegaAges stuff did have more scaling options though, like 5x scale.

#78 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

• Wiki edits:41

View PostKushami, on 04 October 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

One thing I'm curious about is what method are they using to patch in the spin dash? These are emulations, right? So inside the game files, does there exist an official patched rom? Or is it being patched in on the fly? I'm curious how these are working.

One thing I'll say is these Sonic emulations have merit in conjunction with the taxman ports. I feel like those are almost more like enhanced remakes, with extra content though aren't always 100% accurate to the original in favor of a more modern experience. The SegaAges stuff tends to be more preservationist and accurate to the original experience (well, so long as the emulation is decent.) I feel like they both have their places. In the end, I'd love to have both ports, but that's just me.

I do wish the SegaAges stuff did have more scaling options though, like 5x scale.

My only major qualms with SEGA AGES right now is:

1. While their emulation right now is pretty accurate (at least for actual Megadrive stuff) some of their modifications feel a bit half baked. In Sonic 1 especially, the spin/drop dash have clear bugs that our site's own guide to coding the Spin Dash check lists through, and Time Attack is only for ONE STINKING LEVEL. Compare this to the Taxman remakes that put nearly EVERY possible extra and bit of polish possible into them and even some of our community's own amateur projects do with ROMs.

2. Emulations obviously can't do widescreen unless the original ROM allowed it.

Of course both these complaints are only compared to what other modified versions of the game do, and compared to the usual 'as is' ROM releases (usually with some less than perfect emulation) this is still a very nice package.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 04 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

#79 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
When I first tried to spindash and found that it had issues the first thing I thought of was along the lines of "why is this not as good as the stuff I've seen on sonic retro"

M2 step your game up!

#80 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:09 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostDiablohead, on 04 October 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

When I first tried to spindash and found that it had issues the first thing I thought of was along the lines of "why is this not as good as the stuff I've seen on sonic retro"

M2 step your game up!

They can't read you here. =P

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users