Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: My Mame Arcade Cabinet - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

My Mame Arcade Cabinet WIP since 2001

#16 User is offline TmEE 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:46 AM

• Master of OPL3-SA2/3
  • Project:T-04YBSC-A !
  • Wiki edits:11
Still looks really small with 4:3 over 16:9 :P
OLED is naiss though, waaaaay better than any LCD incarnations, I just wish they reach price point of LCDs sooner...

;P

#17 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostTmEE, on 12 June 2017 - 03:46 AM, said:

Still looks really small with 4:3 over 16:9 :P
OLED is naiss though, waaaaay better than any LCD incarnations, I just wish they reach price point of LCDs sooner...

;P

At 4:3 with the 23" oled, its actually the correct dimensions of the crt that originally came with the cabinet. It just looks small because the bezel is solid black, because I havent settled on a design for it.

Edit: speaking of bezel art (and art in general), I'm looking for some art if anybody if dying to see their work on an arcade cabinet. I have sort of a blue and black color scheme going, but I've been on the lookout to replace the marquee and bezel art.

The bezel art is honestly the hardest piece of artwork on the cabinet, because of the way MAME handles bezels and how mine is cut. There originally was a piece of cardboard with a 4:3 window in the middle for the 4:3 monitor, but I painted it black and extended the sides to match the 16:9 aspect ratio of the OLED monitor (which extends to the extents of the cabinet, actually).

Anywho, that means there is virtually no cardboard on the left and right side of the monitor, but a good chunk below and above it. Now, MAME has an option to simulate the bezel of a cabinet on the edges of a 16:9 monitor when forcing 4:3 aspect ratio, like so:

Posted Image

The problem is designing the top and bottom of the bezel in a way that matches and looks appropriate for the ever changing left and right sides of the bezel. One idea I've had is keeping the bottom lip of the bezel solid black, and putting some stickers under the plexiglass with some coin rules or maybe menu button configurations, like this spider-man bezel does:

Posted Image

except not as gaudy. Picking the art for the cabinet is actually really tough lol.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 12 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users