Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Saturn interesting finds - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sega Saturn interesting finds

#91 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132

View PostSonicstudium, on 26 May 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Christmas NiGHTS uses the exact same engine as NiGHTS into Dreams. There's literally no difference other than the inclusion of a clock and some new menus.

View PostSonicstudium, on 26 May 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

View PostAndrew75, on 26 May 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

The renderer seems updated in Xmas Nights. Polygon pop in issues have been fixed.

I'm saying that the game plays identically. NiGHTS doesn't control any better in Christmas NiGHTS than in the standard release of NiGHTS.

Hmmm, you weren't. But yes. Andrew75 is right, Christmas NiGHTS engine was enhanced a little when it comes to pop in. Mostly because this was a later release and this means that the developers optimized the engine even after released. It would be amazing to find NiGHTS protos where we could look the engine development from zero to what it is on Christmas NiGHTS.

#92 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostAndrew75, on 24 May 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Ahh man , Panzer dragoon saga is one of my all time favorite games, I pre-orderd it. if I recall it was the second to last Sega Saturn game that came out in the US.. Man that was so long ago I may not be remembering this correctly. I know it was near the end anyways,
I pre-ordered it too, in the UK. Man, that was too long ago. . . Along the way, someone (almost certainly not me) has thrown away the cardboard outer sleeve, and the disks and manuals have someone fallen into a very sad state of repair. Oh well, it's still playable, which is the main thing, plus I guess it has some sentimental value.

If you make 100% kills in every level for the second game you get all the box game secrets I believe, including beta footage.
By far the easiest thing to do, if you have it, is simply to create a save file from Saga. Cleverly, Zwei was programmed in advance to check for files from its sequel and enable all the secrets if one is found.

#93 User is offline Sonicstudium 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

• Insert your adjective here
  • Project:Research on old 3D models

View PostElratauru, on 27 May 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

It would be amazing to find NiGHTS protos where we could look the engine development from zero to what it is on Christmas NiGHTS.

While that would be intriguing to do, I certainly do NOT have any knowledge on how I could even obtain something like that, let alone afford it. I'm just going to leave that up to fate and luck.

However onto the subject of ripping... I have a bookmark of particular post that was written by SANiK that mentions some sort of observation along the lines of "Sonic Team used the same formatting for all of their games(Starting with the Saturn), just updated slightly for each release. Now this is somewhat of a stretch, but if someone were to use the information located in that post and applied it to something like the SADX model viewer, we could have a halfway decent model viewer/ripper for NiGHTS into Dreams and/or Christmas NiGHTS. (Which as far as I know, uses identical formatting, though I'm unsure on this.)

The aforementioned article.

http://sadxforum.fre...ormat-t191.html

Yes, I am aware that SANiK himself released a NiGHTS into Dreams model viewer, but it seems to have been lost to the sands of time. I can't find any mirrors of it, so if someone's got a copy of it, then we could completely skip this step.
This post has been edited by Sonicstudium: 27 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

#94 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
so, has there been any progress on the Sonic world model since the ground texture was successfully captured?

#95 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostAndrew75, on 27 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I have been pretty busy renovating my house IRL, I did do some item placement stuff, and a bit more modeling for the floating TV's since we don't have the models ripped. ( and yeah the floor is in place and the river is cut into the ground already.)
I probably wont have anything releasable anytime super soon, sorry.
Also keep in mind I do have AXSX, Jam is a side project.

I have been pretty busy renovating my house IRL, I did do some item placement stuff, and a bit more modeling for the floating TV's since we don't have the models ripped. ( and yeah the floor is in place and the river is cut into the ground already.)
I probably wont have anything releasable anytime super soon, sorry.
Also keep in mind I do have AXSX, Jam is a side project.

View PostSonicstudium, on 27 May 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

http://sadxforum.fre...ormat-t191.html
Yes, I am aware that SANiK himself released a NiGHTS into Dreams model viewer, but it seems to have been lost to the sands of time. I can't find any mirrors of it, so if someone's got a copy of it, then we could completely skip this step.

SANiK needs to get his butt back here and form a Saturn hacking repository or something, its sad that he did so much work and than it all disappeared when he did.
Anyone seen SANiK lately ?! Its like he just Up And vanished.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

#96 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
Ok, just figured I'd ask.

#97 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

• Wiki edits:2
We already have the Japanese demo disc if you want to look at earlier-than-final code for Nights (we have the E3 demo disc too, but it's 99% identical, only the title screens are swapped between the two).

#98 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
http://I.imgur.com/IiC4vGd.jpg
http://I.imgur.com/C3glQeD.jpg
http://I.imgur.com/Wqfq759.jpg No faked true quad polygons
http://I.imgur.com/gDHTYJW.jpg With Faked saturn true Quad polygons

#99 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
Hah, nice work there!

How long has it taken you to extract all of this correctly?

#100 User is offline Lostgame 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

• 'There are feathers everywhere, but it's fine...'
  • Project:filmmaking
  • Wiki edits:2
and where is the model? do wannnnt :(

#101 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

• Source Engine Junkie
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
I'm probably really late to this having just got back from a vacation that's resulted in little-to-no internet access, but does Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn/PC use models instead of pre-rendered sprites?
I ask this because R and Jam use fully 3D models, and I played through Blast's PC edition recently having unearthed it from a box of old games (I was really surprised it still ran - and ran well - on Windows 10) and I swear Sonic and co look like models, instead of sprites.

I've asked this question on another thread but got absolutely no answer, and this thread looks less dead, so hopefully I don't get banned for spam or etc.

#102 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
They're pre-rendered sprites, except the Saturn special stages those are models (the PC special stages used pre-rendered sprites again).

#103 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)
Sonic 3D Blast on the PC uses 3D models for the actual track, but sprites for the things on the tracks. They'd be stored in /PCSONIC/BONUSx, but I have no idea what format they're in.

And (while I was looking) level data appears to be in /PCSONIC/CDDATA/LEVx/, but again, no idea what format. I presume that the tileset graphics are in the MAPxx.BIN files, but this is the best view of them (MAP1C.BIN) I've been able to get.

#104 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:55 AM

• Source Engine Junkie
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
Damn. Thanks anyway, hopefully someone'll be able to get into Blast's filesystem. I've heard it has the same (or very similar) compression system as R... on the Saturn at least.

• 7 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users