Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 71 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#1051 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Sooo, https://youtu.be/yMauzPcOorQ

Is there any way to fix some of these issues? Mainly the lighting and transparency. Lantern sa2? :v

Why do the ports have these issues? Do other Dreamcast ports suffer? And why weren't any of these fixed in later ports 😥

#1052 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostIrixion, on 17 January 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

Sooo, https://youtu.be/yMauzPcOorQ

Is there any way to fix some of these issues? Mainly the lighting and transparency. Lantern sa2? :v

Why do the ports have these issues? Do other Dreamcast ports suffer? And why weren't any of these fixed in later ports

The Dreamcast was capable of lighting and transparency effects that other consoles in that generation weren't able to do. So you will run into issues when porting these games. Sonic Adventure DX does take change too far (changes for the sake of it) where Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is a more faithful port of the two adventure games but still has it's own issues here and there. Consoles used to be quite different from each other (apples and oranges) in what you could do on one or the other.
This post has been edited by Chibisteven: 18 January 2019 - 02:13 AM

#1053 User is offline Jeffery Mewtamer 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

As to why things aren't fixed in later ports, where persumably hardware advances allow for brute forcing things that required hardware-specific optimizations on the original consoles, I think the common answer is: The port was a quick cash grab rather than an effort to put forth the game's best face for a new generation or for those who want to revisit the original without pulling out their old console or rebuying the original game/console from the second hand market.

Thankfully, the Adventure Duology has hackers that care to fix the things the porters couldn't be bothered to fix or weren't allowed time to fix. I'm sure there are plenty of half-assed releases of older games that aren't so lucky(or worse, are owned by companies that didn't care enough to do the porting properly, but care enough to shut down fan efforts to fix it).

#1054 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You are far from the only person who has brought up these kinds of issues and wants to see them fixed. However, wanting to fix it and being able to fix it are two very different things. We don't have a full grasp on the lighting system in any version of SA2, and as for transparency, that requires implementing Order-Independent Transparency, which basically requires upgrading the game to use D3D11. Now, SonicFreak94 has made a mod that does this for SADX, but it's not fully complete yet, and then it needs to be adapted to work with SA2, which requires time.

#1055 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

I've got a few mods up on GameBanana, HD GUI for SA2 and Menu Overhaul. The first one is exactly what it says (with automatic and manual user config to choose between various DC/GC/PC elements, as well as a few optional fonts) and the second one declutters the menu system to make it more like SA2/SA2B.

EDIT: Menu Overhaul also restores the scrolling background text for the original SA2 Menu, which was disabled in the PC version due to a texture issue.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jmtshaw: 25 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

#1056 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Ah, great to see SA2 getting some love mod-wise! I picked up the Steam version a while back but haven't had much time for gaming recently - will definitely be installing these mods next time I do, though! HD GUI is a must, and the menu overhaul sounds useful too - know the main menu on the Steam port seemed overpopulated by default, so decluttering it to match the console versions sounds like a great idea. = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 25 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

#1057 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I always appreciate quality-of-life mods like this. Thanks for sharing!

#1058 User is offline RedMetallix 

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

• Supreme Thunder
  • Project:What? Don't be silly.
  • Wiki edits:7
Silly question, but there's not a copy of the new challengers mod for the mod loader or one that lets me use the original title screen, is there?

• 71 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users