Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Official media using Nakamura's music without license - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Official media using Nakamura's music without license

#1 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

• Colony ship for sale, cheap!
As we all know, the iconic Sonic theme comes with hefty licensing costs. But back in the 90s, a surprising number of people had no idea even within SEGA. Such as the case with Spinball's first revision shipping with unlicensed use of the theme.

Are there any other known instances of this kind of thing happening? I suspect that DiC for example had no idea when they used arrangements of the theme in The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, am I correct about that?

#2 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:Sonic Melponterations
  • Wiki edits:32
I actually think they knew what they were doing - AoStH's theme is just different enough that it probably could be argued to be legally distinct.
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 16 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

#3 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostHinchy, on 16 February 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

I actually think they knew what they were doing - AoStH's theme is just different enough that it probably could be argued to be legally distinct.

The Sonic 1 theme + The Fly was absolutely genuis. However, was there a licensing issue with THIS theme for the years later Sonic Christmas Blast special???? (with Princess Sally that broke the universe between AoSTH and SatAM):

P.S. check out that DROP DASH!

https://www.youtube....h?v=uPtPsoHBtT4

What happened to the chromomatic part of "The Fly"? Did who ever they hired in an obvious hurry have trouble replicating it?

https://www.youtube....h?v=LOHpmNX9gKE
This post has been edited by XCubed: 16 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

#4 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
And hell, it's been riffed on even now:

https://twitter.com/...310891601690624 (make sure to put the sound on)

Modern-day Sega sure as hell knows about music rights issues.

#5 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I'm not sure I fully understand the situation, as while the Sonic the Hedgehog "theme" usually comes with a credit to Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True, Green Hill Zone is used extensively and nobody seems to give a damn.

And Nakamura composed pretty much everything for the first two games.

That being said if there's two things you can say about Sega it's that they're not very good at consistent branding and have great difficulty communicating with one another. Maybe there's never been an issue.

#6 User is offline Shakidna 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

• Rehash Rampage
  • Wiki edits:1
Does Aaron tweeting Sanic memes count?

#7 User is offline Strife 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:20 AM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2
There are gas stations in my area that have been using the ring collect sound on their cash registers for as long as I can remember, even as recently as on my way to the airport back in January.

#8 User is offline Afro Thunder 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

• Call Da Doctor!
  • Project:Making Instrumentals

View PostStrife, on 17 February 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

There are gas stations in my area that have been using the ring collect sound on their cash registers for as long as I can remember, even as recently as on my way to the airport back in January.

Gas stations around my way have been using the ring collect sound for years as well. I think a couple of them also use the little jingle that plays after your score is tallied up.

Also, Sonic Pinball Party uses several cues from Sonic 1 and 2, but Nakamura isn't officially credited for his compositions in that game, judging from a quick google search. Neither is anyone who did the music for NiGHTS Into Dreams for that matter.

#9 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
That software's used internationally, I've heard it used in petrol stations in both the UK and Ireland.

#10 User is offline EliGamerX 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostAfro Thunder, on 17 February 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostStrife, on 17 February 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

Gas stations around my way have been using the ring collect sound for years as well. I think a couple of them also use the little jingle that plays after your score is tallied up.

Also, Sonic Pinball Party uses several cues from Sonic 1 and 2, but Nakamura isn't officially credited for his compositions in that game, judging from a quick google search. Neither is anyone who did the music for NiGHTS Into Dreams for that matter.

He was credited for his remixes in Advance, and uncredited in Sonic Battle and Advance 3 as well. (There are Green Hill remixes in both.)
This post has been edited by EliGamerX: 17 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

#11 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:25 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostEliGamerX, on 17 February 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

He was credited for his remixes in Advance, and uncredited in Sonic Battle and Advance 3 as well. (There are Green Hill remixes in both.)
There were no "remixes" in Sonic Advance, they were the original tracks remade on GBA hardware.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users