Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 217 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread Legacy Thread. IDW topic created.

#76 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

• Wiki edits:980
QUOTE (Azukara @ Jan 28 2011, 07:08 AM)
Easily the best Archie Sonic comic ever made.

EDIT: Really, if Archie made a "Very Best of Sonic" collection that had #25, Sonic Quest, the Mecha Madness Saga, (#39, SS6, #40) and Endgame, (#47-#50) I wouldn't need to buy another Sonic comic again.
This post has been edited by True Dude: 28 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

#77 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Those comic artists had a strange habit of giving the Metal Sonics mouths back in the day for some strange reason. Although as much as I like that cover I like this one more:

Spaz can be a great Sonic artist, but he just never really learned how to draw the modern styles very well IMO. They should let him draw classic style if he wants (because his modern Sonic art seems to take hints from Sonic 06 for some reason)

#78 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jan 28 2011, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (Azukara @ Jan 28 2011, 03:36 PM)
Like I said, I hated the way they resolved EVERYTHING an issue later, but alas the series could've been much more interesting if they made it drag out longer and gave better reasoning and storywriting regarding the survival of Robotnik's attack (they could've killed off a couple of characters at least, instead of them ALL surviving in those Egg Grape things).

I'm fairly certain that a great quantity of Pender's dross characters DID die inside the Egg Grapes.

No-one major, sure, but Flynn certainly cleaned house a bit.

What was stopping Flynn from not using them to begin with? Only redshirts died and the epicness of 175 was destroyed because of that.

#79 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Jan 28 2011, 08:48 AM)
I know Archie would die rather than to get rid of their top seller, but has anyone ever thought about what a Sonic comic would be like under a different publisher?

I personally have always wanted to see a Sonic comic by Marvel. And I want it to resemble the writing of old school X-Men so bad. And if he's up to it, I want to see Neal Adams illustrating the book. I mean he did do Atomic Mouse...

One can only hope for a Sonic book that good.

#80 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

• Wiki edits:13
QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jan 28 2011, 02:20 PM)
Like I said, I hated the way they resolved EVERYTHING an issue later, but alas the series could've been much more interesting if they made it drag out longer and gave better reasoning and storywriting regarding the survival of Robotnik's attack (they could've killed off a couple of characters at least, instead of them ALL surviving in those Egg Grape things).

I'm fairly certain that a great quantity of Pender's dross characters DID die inside the Egg Grapes.

What was stopping Flynn from not using them to begin with? Only redshirts died and the epicness of 175 was destroyed because of that.

That was the idea. Cleaning out the redshirts was Ian's first goal since there was an entire sea of them (Mainly echidnas, Ken Penders' pet race).

#81 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (Ashram @ Jan 28 2011, 03:46 PM)

That was the idea. Cleaning out the redshirts was Ian's first goal since there was an entire sea of them (Mainly echidnas, Ken Penders' pet race).

So he did kill off the Echidnas. THANK GOD. Best decision ever made in that comic

#82 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
QUOTE (Greg the Cat @ Jan 28 2011, 04:41 PM)
I know Archie would die rather than to get rid of their top seller, but has anyone ever thought about what a Sonic comic would be like under a different publisher?

I personally have always wanted to see a Sonic comic by Marvel. And I want it to resemble the writing of old school X-Men so bad. And if he's up to it, I want to see Neal Adams illustrating the book. I mean he did do Atomic Mouse...

One can only hope for a Sonic book that good.

Can't really say that Sonic and the DC/Marvel standard comic style would mix really well.. at all. It'd look so misshapenly put together, and from what I've seen from this "Atomic Mouse":

I can't really say I'd like to see anything like that for Sonic.. ever. v.png

This is more along the lines of what we should see.

As for writing, I'd much prefer them to take some pages from some of the current action series from DC. What I mean by that is to put more emphasis on the characters, the environment, and the storytelling at hand. Less focus on the writers pretty much explaining everything that's going on as you progress, and more about character development and interaction. Use less ridiculous banter during action and battle scenes, unless the character is known for running their mouth. And less of these comical effects as well. Fight scenes would be more suspenseful if they weren't watered down with over-the-top cartoony effects and text effects (bam, kabloom and the like). I don't remember so much of that in the issues #25-EndGame arc.

#83 User is offline Immortheus 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Too bad the idea of the removal of the Freedom Fighters and etc. would've created huuuuge backlash, which is why they seemingly in the next issue pulled out of their bum the excuse that "oh yeah, they weren't destroyed, they were all put in Egg Grapes specialed.png".

Nope. It was stated right in #175 that they were sent to the Egg Grapes.

#84 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  • Wiki edits:2
Azukara, how dare you overlook his work on X-Men, Green Lantern, or Batman.

http://www.nealadams.com

Seriously man, I am disappointed.

#85 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
QUOTE (Immortheus @ Jan 28 2011, 05:14 PM)
Too bad the idea of the removal of the Freedom Fighters and etc. would've created huuuuge backlash, which is why they seemingly in the next issue pulled out of their bum the excuse that "oh yeah, they weren't destroyed, they were all put in Egg Grapes specialed.png".

Nope. It was stated right in #175 that they were sent to the Egg Grapes.

Yeah, I just noticed that. However it also said that in those Egg Grapes they would eventually die, so the point kinda stands that they could've stretched out the time in which Sonic took to get back to New Megaopolis. I know it sounds weird for me to be asking for the death of several characters beyond the ordinary plain echidna army (that did need to be wiped out btw); but it would've added extra layers to the storyline and given some newer motives to Sonic and the team as well. Could've seriously added some depth to the occurences that happened within #175; that Sonic really isn't as big of a hero as he thinks he is, and he can't always cheat the deaths of him and his friends even if he could help it.

QUOTE (Greg the Cat @ Jan 28 2011, 05:24 PM)
Azukara, how dare you overlook his work on X-Men, Green Lantern, or Batman.

*pictures*

He's a fantastic artist and all, but I'd rather that artstyle or anything of the sort NOT come near Sonic.
This post has been edited by Azukara: 28 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

#86 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Ashram @ Jan 28 2011, 10:46 PM)

Yes I understand why he did it. What I don't get is why he needed to get rid of them in the first place. There was nothing that obligated him to use the echidnas. Just ignore them and focus the comic elsewhere. I felt it cheapened 175 a great deal. All the epicness was dissolved in just a bunch of redshirts being put on a permanent bus.

QUOTE (Greg the Cat @ Jan 28 2011, 11:24 PM)
http://www.nealadams.com

Seriously man, I am disappointed.

I think I'll settle for the kiddy mouse thing.

#87 User is offline Erinaceus 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

• I'm Hamilton
  • Wiki edits:29

It would be long-cancelled, had it been in the hands of a different publisher.

I don't see either Marvel or DC taking the license seriously enough to have continued it beyond SatAM's run on television, or beyond the franchise's peak popularity on Genesis. They would've seen it, the way they saw a lot of licensed franchises back in the day, as a quick way to milk dough out of a hot property, then would have dumped it once the property ceased being hot. Also, the comics industry crashed pretty hard in the '90s, while Archie was relatively unaffected, Marvel and DC were hit pretty hard. They both had to make some big cost cuts, and a lot of ongoing series were cancelled, regardless of sales. I could easily see Sonic being a casualty of that crash.

As for Image being his handler... Well; this about sums up my feelings concerning that.

I could see IDW having success with the franchise, they seem to have carved out a niche in licensed comics, but they weren't founded until 1999, so they didn't exist when Sonic was at his peak.

I've always held that Archie's the reason why Sonic's been so successful as a comic book series. They have the advantage of being sold on supermarket and convenience store racks (a market was where I bought my first Sonic issue), whereas all the other major publishers' titles are pretty much confined exclusively to comics shops. That's a HUGE advantage for them. Also, Archie Comics are cheaper than comics from other publishers, putting it within the afford-ability of the kids that read and support it most. Another advantage.
This post has been edited by Erinaceus: 29 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

#88 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jan 28 2011, 11:35 PM)
Yes I understand why he did it. What I don't get is why he needed to get rid of them in the first place. There was nothing that obligated him to use the echidnas. Just ignore them and focus the comic elsewhere. I felt it cheapened 175 a great deal. All the epicness was dissolved in just a bunch of redshirts being put on a permanent bus.

I'm very much not an authority on this as the only Archie comics I own are 204-217 (or thereabouts), but my understanding is that he pretty much was obligated, narratively, to get rid of some of them. The Ancient Walkers, for example, were prophecy-spinning super-Chaos-Controllers that had made umpteen prophecies about the future which basically locked the comics to Penders' tune for years to come.

By killing them off in a "if you were really prescient and infalliable, you'd have seen that coming" way, this means Flynn's free to do something other than resolving Penders' shitty plotlines for a hundred issues to come.

#89 User is offline Quarterman 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

• Just another day in paradise.
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jan 28 2011, 03:46 PM)

I'm very much not an authority on this as the only Archie comics I own are 204-217 (or thereabouts), but my understanding is that he pretty much was obligated, narratively, to get rid of some of them. The Ancient Walkers, for example, were prophecy-spinning super-Chaos-Controllers that had made umpteen prophecies about the future which basically locked the comics to Penders' tune for years to come.

By killing them off in a "if you were really prescient and infalliable, you'd have seen that coming" way, this means Flynn's free to do something other than resolving Penders' shitty plotlines for a hundred issues to come.

Not to mention throwing the guardians into another dimension. Flynn declared war on everything Penders did, and I think the comic improved because of it. At times during Penders' run it very much felt like I was reading "The Echidna comic...featuring Sonic the Hedgehog". I'm glad most of them are gone. It helps give the comic renewed focus.

#90 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

• Wiki edits:13
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jan 28 2011, 03:46 PM)

More or less, yeah. Although Ian did make Aurora, Athair and Merlin the Neo Walkers, but we haven't seen anything come of it and doubt we will for a while.

Ian also chucked most of the Brotherhood into another dimension courtesy of Finitevus because for one, they weren't good for anything. They were all more or less older Knuckles recolors that sat around a table and talked. Same with Moritori Rex, although he did have a cooler part in the grand scheme of the Brotherhood simply because he was a spy.

• 217 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users