Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 180 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 178
  • 179
  • 180
    Locked
    Locked Forum

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding Now with more research and development!

#2686 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

  • Posts: 733
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:27
Something slightly non-standard here - PkR commented over on Twitter that it'd be nice to see a higher-resolution recreation of the original DC Sonic Adventure's VMU icon, so I've taken up the challenge and had a go at recreating it. The version I've got now - while not quite perfect - is a pretty good match for the original when scaled down to 32x32 (specifically, I've been using Photoshop's Linear Scale mode for testing this), and is probably about as accurate as I can realistically get it.

If anyone's interested in using it for anything, you can grab it here.

Special thanks to PkR for feedback to help improve accuracy, and for hosting the file for distribution! = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 07 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

#2687 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

  • Head chef at the crap cafe
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 27-September 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beaverton OR
  • Project:One Piece English filler-free cut

View PostMorph, on 07 December 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

I don't see a config happening any time in the near future seeing how long I've been sitting on this project with no changes. I might get around to it if perhaps somebody shows interest in developing a hack around certain features.


Alright, was worth a shot. I just think all-or-nothing isn't the right way to handle it, when it really breaks the flow to have a slope you can't make but no way to speed up while you're already moving. Even the 2D series now has the drop dash for that.

View PostMorph, on 07 December 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

Re: spindash/dash panels though: have you tried stopping and charging a spin when you need to go fast :specialed:/>


I wasn't really talking about not having enough speed to make jumps or anything, though. I meant stuff like the EC Whale and the jump after the second Sky Deck checkpoint. Though in retrospect, I guess that's more due to the camera positioning.

#2688 User is offline Neo 

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

  • Clackerjack
  • Posts: 1300
  • Joined: 10-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostMcAleeCh, on 07 December 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Something slightly non-standard here - PkR commented over on Twitter that it'd be nice to see a higher-resolution recreation of the original DC Sonic Adventure's VMU icon, so I've taken up the challenge and had a go at recreating it. The version I've got now - while not quite perfect - is a pretty good match for the original when scaled down to 32x32 (specifically, I've been using Photoshop's Linear Scale mode for testing this), and is probably about as accurate as I can realistically get it.

If anyone's interested in using it for anything, you can grab it here.

Special thanks to PkR for feedback to help improve accuracy, and for hosting the file for distribution! = )

OMG I love this. I tried doing something with the wallpaper version, but quickly gave up when I realized how different the shapes were. Good to know someone far more qualified was on the case!

#2689 User is offline Morph 

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

  • AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Posts: 758
  • Joined: 01-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostShaddy the guy, on 07 December 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Even the 2D series now has the drop dash for that.


:ssh:

View PostShaddy the guy, on 07 December 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

I wasn't really talking about not having enough speed to make jumps or anything, though. I meant stuff like the EC Whale and the jump after the second Sky Deck checkpoint. Though in retrospect, I guess that's more due to the camera positioning.


To be honest I had actually forgotten I did the dash panel thing before I published it. I was trying to test some slope related things and they got in the way so I just killed them. That said, I actually had fun with the whale. If you start off with a spin to gain speed (jump to cancel it later) and time your turns right, you can make it through the whole thing.

Bringing back dash panels is not out of the question though, because like I said: totally forgot before publishing, so it became a feature. :v:
This post has been edited by Morph: 07 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

#2690 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:12 AM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4006
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

I did a meme.

#2691 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

  • Posts: 1499
  • Joined: 30-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Now all that's left is replace all of the character models, NPCs with knuckles and his animations, and change every dialogue spoken during levels to "Oh No."

#2692 User is offline PkR 

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

  • Posts: 152
  • Joined: 04-August 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
Sonic Adventure Christmas 99 DLC recreated in SADX
As always, enable only one DLC mod at a time. This one only works in Adventure Mode.
I'm sure everyone will attempt to beat the story with this enabled, let me just say that it's accurate to the original game in that it won't work. The trees may block the NPCs or the ID card needed to enter Speed Highway. So it's better to play this after completing the story.
Also there's a little secret regarding the songs that play when you touch the trees. There are two NiGHTS music tracks in the game (not counting the one that is listed but doesn't exist), one goes unused in the original game, but judging by leftover data in the decrypted VMS file it looks like it was also meant to be used in this DLC at some point, so I added that song too. See if you can find out how to trigger it!

#2693 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4006
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I was watching a livestream of Sonic Adventure last weekend, and the streamer was having a hard time navigating the Mystic Ruins jungle during a certain portion of Knuckles' story (you know the one). So, I decided to make a mod that removes all the trees.
Posted Image
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MainMemory: 15 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

#2694 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

  • Posts: 228
  • Joined: 29-October 16
  • Gender:Male

View PostPkR, on 15 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Sonic Adventure Christmas 99 DLC recreated in SADX
As always, enable only one DLC mod at a time. This one only works in Adventure Mode.
I'm sure everyone will attempt to beat the story with this enabled, let me just say that it's accurate to the original game in that it won't work. The trees may block the NPCs or the ID card needed to enter Speed Highway. So it's better to play this after completing the story.
Also there's a little secret regarding the songs that play when you touch the trees. There are two NiGHTS music tracks in the game (not counting the one that is listed but doesn't exist), one goes unused in the original game, but judging by leftover data in the decrypted VMS file it looks like it was also meant to be used in this DLC at some point, so I added that song too. See if you can find out how to trigger it!

Unlike the other DLC mods, this one won't work unless you have the Dreamcast Station Square mod enabled...

#2695 User is offline PkR 

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 AM

  • Posts: 152
  • Joined: 04-August 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 16 December 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

View PostPkR, on 15 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Sonic Adventure Christmas 99 DLC recreated in SADX
As always, enable only one DLC mod at a time. This one only works in Adventure Mode.
I'm sure everyone will attempt to beat the story with this enabled, let me just say that it's accurate to the original game in that it won't work. The trees may block the NPCs or the ID card needed to enter Speed Highway. So it's better to play this after completing the story.
Also there's a little secret regarding the songs that play when you touch the trees. There are two NiGHTS music tracks in the game (not counting the one that is listed but doesn't exist), one goes unused in the original game, but judging by leftover data in the decrypted VMS file it looks like it was also meant to be used in this DLC at some point, so I added that song too. See if you can find out how to trigger it!

Unlike the other DLC mods, this one won't work unless you have the Dreamcast Station Square mod enabled...

It works independently of Dreamcast mods. If it doesn't show up, you likely have another DLC mod enabled at the same time.
Spoiler


#2696 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

  • Posts: 228
  • Joined: 29-October 16
  • Gender:Male
That's weird. I know I tried it yesterday and it had no effect unless I had the DC SS mod enabled, but now I tried again and it works either way. I didn't even disable any other mods or change the mod order between yesterday and today o_O

Anyway, fantastic work as always.

Edit: Oh, just realized what the cause was. The DLC mods don't work in Mission mode. How come?
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: Yesterday, 10:30 AM

  • 180 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 178
  • 179
  • 180
    Locked
    Locked Forum

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users