Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 30 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#436 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
https://ru.wikipedia...%81%D0%B8%D0%B8
https://en.wikipedia...ulture_(Russia)

It's probably the Russian Ministry of Culture that's responsible for age ratings, or some department within the ministry (though I can't find which one).

#437 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
For the record, I've just gone with "Russia rating" until a proper name emerges. Hopefully some nice vectors will come along too.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Genuinely I think it might be the most sensible rating system currently in use. It's more obtrusive than some, but colour-coded numbers in a fixed position on the box gets the point across straight away.

p.s. it's insane how many different variants of video games there are these days. I've been making lists. You should fill in the blanks and scan things.

#438 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Fun Dreamcast up on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122616869616

~Sega Fish Life~

Date: June, 2000
Units made: ?? very few, probably.
Console Release Price: 498,000 Yen (about $6,500 by the 2000's)
Game Release Price: 198,000 Yen

Extremely hard to find Sega Fish Life with console and touch panel monitor fully working, including the equipped microphone.
This console was made as a replacement of aquariums in restaurants, hotels and such.
It shows 17 different kind of fish and the TFT 15" screen is fully responsive to touch and voice sound (you have to try a little to check if some words get determined reactions from the fish), allowing you to:

- Talk to the fish
- Poke them to make them swell
- Poke the screen in some places to feed the fish
- Draw a fish on the screen that goes swimming around along with the other fish too.
- have the fish turn into a do re mi fa sol la si do keyboard.

The Hardware is actually a Dreamcast plus the original sega hardware that serves the purpose for this console, and you can play dreamcast games in it if you disconnect the right cables (blue wire),
and if you connect a terminal inside the board you can even use a dreamcast controller.

#439 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

• 35% Cognac
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
That thing is absolute fucking insanity. I want it more than I've ever wanted anything. It kind of looks like the Slimline DVD Dreamcast they were showcasing, with the VMU MP3 player. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd also say it likely contains the hardware for Karaoke, as well.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: 27 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

#440 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

• wikiman
This is something that I came across not too long ago, and is mostly undocumented.

Dreamcast technology ended up in quite a few things around the late-2000 to 2002 mark. I've yet to sit down and explore it all (mostly because I'm waiting for more Dreamcast magazine scans). Tend to hope someone else will one day.

As an aside though - the fact I've heard of this and it was written about at the time suggests it might be less rare than you might think. Most Japanese arcade things stay in Japan.

#441 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
The guy also put up a brief video of it running - the video is hidden on Youtube so I'm not going to link it here but I HAVE saved the MP4 so we've got a record of it.

#442 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
GD-ROM is catalogued as HKS-0200, which is interesting, suggesting there is a HKS-0100

Dreamcast games were HDR-XXX (DR for Dreamcast) and hardware was HKT-XXX and HIT-XXX (KT for Katana, IT when they ran out of numbers). Wonder what KS refers to

#443 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

• wikiman
The Sega Kooky Sausage™

There's a point where Sega moved from GDL-xxx NAOMI discs to GDS-xxx ones - I think it's probably another case of trying to keep things together, but not having enough letters or numbers to do it cleanly.

p.s. there's a high chance this scheme is still in use. Sega still print Sega-style part numbers on their published games in Japan.

#444 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

• wikiman
Digital Foundry's been good today:

#445 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostJaxTH, on 24 June 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostCooljerk, on 24 June 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Bought a bunch of old magazines a few days ago, and flipping through them, I found an article on Sega of america's webpage that includes a lot of pictures from around December of 94, including a listing of files on their FTP. Is there an existing Sega Retro article I can add scans of those pages to?

What magazines were they? We're pretty much uploading whole magazines at this point for reference material.

I do know we have some kind of article for that information but I can't pinpoint at the moment.

Also, since I'm posting anyway, the Steam Summer Sale this year has a sticker mini-game (no idea who is doing the art but it is all original), and I got a Bayonetta sticker. No idea if it's possible to isolate the picture somehow though.

Would you mind posting scans/photos of the article? I have a folder of segaoa.com screenshots which I save everytime I come across some, but haven't seen that article.

#446 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 24 June 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

It's amazing what you can find accidentally:

Posted Image

https://archive.org/...age/n1/mode/2up

Here's an advert for the Master System version of Pac-Mania, apparently broadcast across 19 European countries through Supertext (which in Queen's English is Teletext rendered at (I think) a slightly higher resolution. At least for the graphics side of things). It's a piece of video game history that had no chance in hell of being preserved.

Great find! Supertext was the name of Super Channel's teletext service in the 80s / early 90s. They had a computers section which also covered games. I think it was done by the same people who did MTV Europe's MTV Text's gaming section when it started in 1992. These were pan-European channels back then. Edit: I was missing just 2 issues of NCE, but they've been scanned at that link, nice!

Supertext in 1991;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 03 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

#447 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Here's the structure of segaoa.com in 1994 / early 1995;

[Sega Web (segaoa.com)]                                                                                               ┌─[For a closer look at the story behind the scenes]
     │                                                                                                                │
     │  ┌─[Hot New Releases (segaoa.com/ECCOTOT/hot1.hmtl)]──[Ecco - The Tides of Time (segaoa.com/ECCOTOT/hot.hmtl)]──┼─[3 Different Platforms] 
     │  │                                                                                                             │
     │  │                                                                                                             └─[Random Drawing] 
     │  │                                                             ┌─[CES Press Releases-Jan 1995]
     │  │                                                             │
     │  │                                                             ├─[Press Releases Feb 1994-Sept 1994]
     │  ├─[News and Events (segaoa.com/news+events/news+events.html)]─┤
     │  │                                                             ├─[Special Events & Promotions]
     │  │                                                             │
     │  │                                                             └─[Random Drawing]
     │  │                   ┌─[Sega Genesis]
     │  │                   │
     │  │                   ├─[Sega CD]
     │  │                   │
     │  │                   ├─[Game Gear]
     │  ├─[Video Game Area]─┤
     │  │                   ├─[Genesis 32X]
     │  │                   │
     │  │                   ├─[Sega Sports]
     └──┤                   │
        │                   └─[Sega Club]                          ┌─[Sega Toys]
        │                                                          │
        │                                                          ├─[Sega Channel (segaoa.com/othercool/segachan.html)]
        ├─[Other Cool Stuff (segaoa.com/othercool/othercool.html)]─┤
        │                                                          ├─[Sega Visions]──[Check out the Sega Visions exclusive Sneak Peak of Virtua Fighter II Delux Arcade Gifs]
        │                                                          │
        │                                                          └─[Sports Byline USA]
        │
        │
        ├─[Sega Mall]
        │
        ├─[Elsewhere] (segaoa.com/elsewhere/elsewhere.html)
        │
        ├─[Who Are You? (segaoa.com/forms/whowhat.html)]
        │
        └─[Foundation (segaoa.com/foundation/foundation.html)]──[(segaoa.com/foundation/daughters/employers.guide.html)]

Sega Web

December 1994;

Posted Image

January 1995;

Posted Image

February 1995;

Posted Image

March 1995 (Site got a bit of an update now);

Posted Image

May 1995:

Posted Image

August 1995 (another update);

Posted Image

Hot New Releases

January 1995;

Posted Image

Ecco - The Tides of Time

Posted Image

March 1995;

Posted Image

News and Events

January 1995;

Posted Image

March 1995;

Posted Image

Video Game Area / Home Arcade

March 1995;

Posted Image

Other Cool Stuff

January 1995;

Posted Image

March 1995;

Posted Image

Sega Channel

January 1995;

Posted Image

Sega Sports

March 1995;

Posted Image

Sega Mall

March 1995;

Posted Image

Elsewhere

March 1995;

Posted Image

The Elsewhere Area points Sega Web visitors to other related and/or interesting Internet locations. Sega is not currently supporting its own moderated newsgroup, but several other existing newsgroups are listed and linked for our ...

Who Are You?

January 1995;

Posted Image

March 1995;

Posted Image

Foundation

Foundation/daughters
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 06 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

#448 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

1995-09-27: Sega's new Web site acts like interactive TV in a computer monitor

Major revamp on 27th September 1995, they switched to sega.com on May 16th, 1996.

Sega Web (segaoa.com)]                                                                       ┌─[Genesis(segaoa.com/products/hardware/genesis)]
     │                                                                                       │ 
     │                                          ┌─[Hardware (segaoa.com/products/hardware)]──┼─[Saturn (segaoa.com/products/hardware/saturn)] 
     │                                          │                                            │
     │                                          │                                            └─[Nomad (segaoa.com/products/hardware/nomad)]    
     │                                          │
     │  ┌─[Sega Products (segaoa.com/products]──┼─[Software (segaoa.com/products/software)] 
     │  │                                       │
     │  │                                       └─[Third (segaoa.com/products/third)]                                                           
     │  │                               
     │  ├─[Sega Live (segaoa.com/live)]──[Chat (segaoa.com/live/chat/ "This chat room is sponsored by Sega and offers nifty illustrations from Sega games that you can add to your messages."]
     │  │                               
     │  ├─[Sega Sports (segaoa.com/sports)]                                                       
     │  │                                                                                          
     └──┤                                    ┌─[Career (segaoa.com/inside/career)] 
        │                                    │
        ├─[Inside Sega (segaoa.com/inside)]──┼─[Foundation (segaoa.com/inside/foundation)] 
        │                                    │ 
        │                                    │                                 ┌─[Current (segaoa.com/inside/news/current)]
        │                                    └─[News (segaoa.com/inside/news)]─┤
        │                                                                      └─[Releases (segaoa.com/inside/news/releases)]                             
        ├─[History (segaoa.com/history)]
        │
        └─[Vectorman (segaoa.com/vectorman)]

October 2nd, 1995;

Posted Image

October 11th, 1995;

Posted Image

January 29th, 1996;

Posted Image

Vectorman.com

Posted Image

segaoa.com/history

Some surviving graphics;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#449 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

• wikiman
In the latest episode of "hey I wonder if this thing will be worth considerable sums of money in the future"

Posted Image

this is "Rome II: Total War Имперское издание" which translates to "Imperial Edition". It's a version of the game you didn't get.

secretly it's a stripped down version of the Rome II "Collectors Edition" which the West did get - basically a symbol of Sega short-changing Russia. But in the process that's created a Russian-exclusive version of the game with a prettier box.

it's too early in the history of the human race to know whether collectors editions of games will actually be collectible some day, but when we talk about a game being "rare", I can't not see these things topping the list. This is the sort of cack that even Creative Assembly probably don't know exists.

• 30 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users