Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Chaotix 1207 discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Chaotix 1207 discussion

#16 User is offline SpinelSun 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Just wanted to point out that this as well as the other Dec protos I tested, run on real 32X hardware. Although, sometimes they either, don't boot at all, have no PWM, have high pitched PWM beeps at title like in fusion (Sega screen works fine though), or the PWM will play just fine except for a few glitches at the start and end of zone.

#17 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

• flip the chessboard over

View PostCinossu ◕Д◕, on Feb 23 2008, 07:51 PM, said:

How did you get those?

#18 User is offline Greg K 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

There seems to be some text from another game in the rom, probably After Burner. Some examples: COIN #2, STICK RIGHT LEFT, DIP SWITCH ASSIGNMENTS, EXTEND MISSILE.

#19 User is offline Bibin 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

• DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.
  • Project:Ghost in the Machine
The screen turned blank cyan, but hte game was still clearly running.

#20 User is offline Sanky 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

• Random nobody
  • Project:Nothing.
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostZenor, on Feb 24 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

View PostCinossu ◕Д◕, on Feb 23 2008, 07:51 PM, said:

How did you get those?

Tile Editor Pro. You can view all uncompressed graphics in the rom. And edit it.

(btw, why can't I edit my posts?)

#21 User is offline Blackbird 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

Well, two more things I found. Well, actually, two things I forgot to add:

Time Attack actually works better than normal mode, and uses the same player selection method as the later protos. And by "works better", I mean it holds out without going bonkers for 10 more seconds.

Sound Test is a barebones, and I do mean really barebones screen:

Posted Image
The songs are there, in all their scratchy, beepy glory, even songs that aren't featured anywhere reachable. Some songs are pretty different from the final, like 000D. Some even have different percussion than the ones in the other Chaotix betas, like the almost unhearable 000F. Are 0011, 0018 and 0025 anywhere in any other betas or hidden in the final game? 0011 is a slower mix of the main theme, 0018 sounds like something out of a Megaman game, and 0025 sounds like a bad ending of sorts. 0015 is a different mix of a track in the final, and so are 0017, 0019, 001B, 001C, and 0021. 0026-0028 are empty, and afterwards begin the sound effects, which are basically the same throughout Chaotix's development. There are exceptions like 0047 or 004B, however. After 0069 there's nothing.
It would seem like they composed the entire game's soundtrack before actually making most of the levels.

Also, forgot to add that the menu is wildly different from all other Chaotixes, as shown by that first screen Drx released. In case you don't remember it, here it is:

Posted Image

Note: All the musical differences are based on the regular, keyboard notes, not the percussion that was later removed. Strangely, most of the songs that aren't really featured in the levels don't have that beep from the EPROM hardware patching.

EDIT: Probably a removed or yet to be implemented character.
This post has been edited by Nabaztag: 24 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

#22 User is offline Armada 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

• Sometimes I do things
  • Wiki edits:12
I may be asking a dumb question, but why is there an empty space on the Character Select screen?

#23 User is offline Sanky 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

• Random nobody

View PostArmada, on Feb 24 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

I may be asking a dumb question, but why is there an empty space on the Character Select screen?
How about a removed character? The blanks space is after Migthy, so of course it was Tails.
By the way, Wechidna flies in an earlyer version. Hmm, what could that mean? [/irony, if you didn't get it]

#24 User is offline Mr. Ksoft 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

• Project:An overly ambitious retro platformer
QUOTE (Nabaztag @ Feb 24 2008, 12:48 PM) [post="180441"]Posted Image
It's still called Knuckles' Ring Star here.
Also, "HEABY!!"
This post has been edited by Mr. Ksoft: 24 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

#25 User is offline Blackbird 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

Well, yeah, I am doing this off memory from the times when I listened to Chaotix music 24/7, which was 2 years ago, so it's quite possibly very inaccurate.

Actually, I posted that in page 1, but having a screen is nice. Also, the levels are displayed perfectly properly, 1-5.

Also, I tried accessing World Entrance Acts 2-5 like I did in the other Chaotix, and this one, apart from playing the same music tracks, also has objects in it for some reason (Act 5 is empty however):

Posted Image
Act 2

Posted Image
Act 3

Posted Image
Act 4

When you and your combi fall, they'll eventually fall through the ring monitor and switch monitor, break it, and then fall offscreen, rather than looping infinitely in mid-air. Sure, this is a glitch discovery, but why place objects in a zone that shouldn't exist?

EDIT: Extremely sorry for JPEG dithering. My upload thingy transforms BMP into JPEG for some reason. I'll use another upload site next time.
This post has been edited by Nabaztag: 24 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

#26 User is offline Dominus Draconis 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Speed Slider appears to be based roughly off the rocket stage in Sonic Crackers. It has been edited since then; so, nothing matches exactly; however, there are noticeable similarities. I am attempting to produce a screenshot; however, the crashiness of the ROM makes it exceedingly hard to keep it stable long enough to take it.

Edit: Here are the pics, sorry for the incomplete matchup. Also, sorry the one used print screen, it was a quicker hotkey than Shift+F12 and, I am glad it was, because the ROM crashed seconds later.

Speed Slider:
Posted Image

Rocket-Like Stage:
Posted Image

I noticed many other layout similarities while getting that, but 1207 loves to crash, so, could not get a very good shot. If anyone can keep it stable long enough and examines it in depth, would be worth a look, most likely.

Edit 2: Sorry for the hugeness, let me fix that, just a second.

Edit 3: Okay, fixed, sorry about that, and sorry for all the edits.
This post has been edited by Dominus Draconis: 25 February 2008 - 03:52 PM

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

• Wiki edits:18
I can't see the similarities you're talking about...

#28 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

• Wiki edits:4
Yeah, I see no similarities at all. There's nothing in the foreground or background that look similar.

#29 User is offline Dominus Draconis 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

Not color wise but actual layout. The real similarities are particularly on the slopes; however I have been unable to keep it uncrashed long enough to take a screenshot.

#30 User is offline Sanky 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

• Random nobody

View PostDominus Draconis, on Feb 26 2008, 04:31 PM, said:

Not color wise but actual layout. The real similarities are particularly on the slopes; however I have been unable to keep it uncrashed long enough to take a screenshot.

Well, the level simmilarities are in final, so this is quite nothing new. Or is the layout more simmilar?

• 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users