Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: "Streets of rage" and "Altered Beast" on television - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

"Streets of rage" and "Altered Beast" on television

#1 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53

Stories International has partnered with Circle of Confusion to produce adaptations of Sega's video games “Altered Beast” and “Streets of Rage” for film and television.

Tomoya Suzuki, president and CEO of Stories International, will produce with Circle of Confusion partner Lawrence Mattis and Julian Rosenberg. Evan J. Cholfin, head of development and production, will executive produce the projects for Stories International — the production arm and joint venture of Sega Group and Hakuhodo DY Group.

Production-management company Circle of Confusion produces “Fear the Walking Dead,” “The Talking Dead,” “Powers,” “Outcast,” and “Dirk Gently.” Its recent films include “Spare Parts,” “American Ultra,” and “Mr. Right,” starring Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick.

Circle partner David Engel executive produced “Straight Outta Compton.”

Stories is producing film and television projects based on Sega game franchises, including “Shinobi” with Marc Platt, “Golden Axe,” “Virtua Fighter,” “The House of the Dead,” and “Crazy Taxi.” It said Monday that it is in the process of partnering with major studios, producers, and filmmakers to co-develop adaptations of these properties as English-language feature films and television series for worldwide release.

“These are some of the most well loved SEGA games, and we are thrilled to be working with Stories to adapt them into major film and television franchises,” Mattis said.

Suzuki, Stories, and Circle of Confusion are all repped by CAA.

Source.

#2 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Sega's been trying to make movies/shows based on their old franchises for at least a couple of years now. Funnily enough, outside of Sonic, the only one of those movies so far to have a director and writer is the Rent-A-Hero movie. I wouldn't really expect any of these movies to be made unless they have a director and writer signed on. Plans for movies always get announced but that doesn't mean that they'll actually be made.

#3 User is offline SiddtheKidd 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

• Streets of Fucking Rage!
  • Project:Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
Saw streets of rage, immediately clicked.. I am disappoint, don't do it SEGA! :argh:

#4 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

• I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
They started the whole Sonic Boom franchise with games and TV series at the same time.

If they intend to do the same with SOR, let's hope they won't rush the games like they did with Sonic Boom.

#5 User is offline minichapman 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

• I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdom, but the odds are agains
  • Project:Staying sane.
  • Wiki edits:1
Hmm. I wonder if there'll be tie-in games released. Altered beast can't be worse than the GBA and PS2 games, right? RIGHT?!

#6 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

• Project:Galactic domination
  • Wiki edits:6
The only live action movies I've seen that have been decent adaptations of games is Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill and even those are divisive with people, all the others I've seen off the top of my head have been disasters. No doubt SOR and AB will fit the latter.
This post has been edited by steveswede: 05 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

#7 User is online Aerosol 

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Hey now, a SOR TV series could work. It'd be like that alternate-history martial arts show that did quite well. It'd probably work better as an action movie though.

#8 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

I swear we keep hearing this same news every couple of years for the last decade. I presume the ideas keep getting shopped around but rejected?

#9 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

I could see Altered Beast working as a horror-type series. Or maybe something like the old Incredible Hulk TV show where the characters travel the country with fake ID's doing odd jobs and then transform into their beast forms when they need to fight. Not sure about Streets of Rage.

GagaMan has a point though; it feels like they've been reporting on this sort of thing for a while now. I remember seeing a similar article a year ago or more.

#10 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2

View Poststeveswede, on 05 December 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

The only live action movies I've seen that have been decent adaptations of games is Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill and even those are divisive with people, all the others I've seen off the top of my head have been disasters.

Mirai Ninja rules and is leagues better than the actual game.

#11 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

• Project:Galactic domination
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostRitz, on 08 December 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

View Poststeveswede, on 05 December 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

The only live action movies I've seen that have been decent adaptations of games is Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill and even those are divisive with people, all the others I've seen off the top of my head have been disasters.

Mirai Ninja rules and is leagues better than the actual game.

I'll have to check that out.

#12 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View PostMecha Sally, on 06 December 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

I could see Altered Beast working as a horror-type series. Or maybe something like the old Incredible Hulk TV show where the characters travel the country with fake ID's doing odd jobs and then transform into their beast forms when they need to fight.

Altered Beast was set on a movie set set in Ancient Greece. So really, just do a series about a guy or two cursed by Zeus to become a beast when evil rears its head, and they travel to avoid persecution from the true Humans. Basically your idea in Ancient Greece.

Not sure about Streets of Rage.

Same vein as the Daredevil Netflix series, I would think.

#13 User is offline Sapphire 

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

• It's like boo!
I'd absolutely watch a SOR movie/TV show. As long as many of the ridiculous, recolored, bad-translation-named goons were included as well lol.

Also I would be more than OK with a tie-in game/HD remake if this were to actually flesh out.

#14 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSapphire, on 02 January 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

I would be more than OK with a tie-in game

Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage is backwards compatible on Xbox One. :v:

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users