don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Capcom will sue

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm pretty sure Mania uses a different sample, made to sound similar to the SFA3 one without actually being ripped from there. Megamix used a direct SFA3 rip, but that doesn't mean Mania did.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Yeah tbh it does sound like a different sample, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me at all if they still tried to sue.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It just seems the SFA3 sample but played at a faster rate.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Chris Allcock, who was a member on the old Moogle Cavern message board a long time ago and is now a writer for Rare, posted a blog in response to some of Sonic Mania's critics. Specifically, those who have trouble understanding why a game that lets them move so quickly keeps halting their progress. It's a good read, check it out!

6. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Got the location of that stream? I know it was converted to a 2D graphic, but I want to make sure.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Oh thank the lort, I don't completely suck. Finally got all the emeralds as Sonic (& Tails). Because of some sage advice before getting to Egg Reverie, I only died a couple times instead of hundreds. What I don't appreciate is that if I want to play it again, I have to go back through Titanic Monarch Acts 1 & 2 again. Wasn't Doomsday Zone selectable after beating it? I'm up to OOZ as Knuckles and I'm dreading it. No problem as Sonic, but I'm nervous, even after seeing Knuckles cheesing the boss.

Blue sphere and its partially completed squares can rot in Hell.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    You can always select level in no save mode and go directly to egg reverie (if you unlocked it through blue spheres, of course).

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Does anyone know the names of the bosses in the game? Other than the HBHs of course.

10. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Yep.

[​IMG]

PSA: the wiki page for Mania has a broken info box; the object list overflows over the bottom content of the page i.e. "Sonic games for the following system." Fixed it for this image for clarity's sake, but if this is to be fixed on the wiki propper, the variable "poot-tabs-content" needs to be a height of at least 650px for bosses and needs to be like 950px for enemies, otherwise this shit happens.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Also, I can't be the only one who noticed the crazy timer during Egg reverie.

I'm still awaiting an explanation on how and why the Phantom Ruby was on Angel Island then was later found by Metal Sonic on Mirage Islabd in Lost Labyrinth.

12. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Angel Island is just one big plot device. Ever since its existence :v:

13. This is the stream I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m36BVlGFb20
    You'll want to go to 3:41:25 for the bit I was talking about

14. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

I've been wondering. Where does Mania fit canonically -- does it take place after S3K?

15. Yes. It's also set in its own universe. This means the canon gets split after S3&K, creating what is commonly being referred to as the "classic" branch and the "modern" branch, the latter of which is home to games like Sonic 4 and pretty much "everything" since Adventure 1 (though which games are actually canon depends on who you ask).

Forces, of course, is part of the latter branch, but...
    ...it uses the same classic Sonic and other elements from Mania in-universe. It's implied that the classic Sonic seen in Generations is a different character, since he eventually grows up to be modern Sonic.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Classic Sonic from Generations and Forces are the same character. He's from the past but also another dimension.

17. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Huh. That's interesting. I imagine most games in the modern branch are canon with the exception of '06 and any of the storybook games. TDB most likely is not canon at all considering it was a BioWare title (or anything "side" like Battle for the matter).

18. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Seeing all the speculation here confuses me. Are there any released bits of information that point to either A) Forces being tied into Mania's story or B) the timelines being split? I've seen a lot of talk about how the Egg Reverie theme is a direct rip of "Fist Bump", despite the two having notable differences in their choruses, markedly dissimilar verses, and different chord changes altogether. As someone heavily invested in music theory I recognized the rhythmic and melodic similarities right away, but I also saw the two as being much too far apart to be the same theme, aside from the first phrase of the chorus. I was curious about Eggman commenting that Classic Sonic was from a different universe of some sort, but I really just took it with a grain of salt, and I don't understand where the speculation stems from. As far as I've seen, the only confirmed bit of information has been SEGA and the Mania dev team subtly hinting that Sonic 4 was ret-conned by Mania and/or set in a completely different piece of the canon. From what I've seen of Forces we can't yet make conclusions about the separation of the timelines. If anything else has been confirmed could someone please link me to it? I am genuinely interested, just not sure where the info is coming from because I've been searching about it a lot lately.

19. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

The implication that Forces ties into Mania's story and the resulting speculation is because of the portal Sonic travels through in Mania's true ending, and classic Sonic appearing from a portal in the first trailer for Forces.

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I can see the connection, but it's still just a theory for now. Technically Sonic would need a portal to get out of the Reverie timespace anyway; my assumption was just that he used the Phantom Ruby to return back to his own dimension. If the timelines are confirmed connected I'll easily accept that my assumption is wrong, I just think it's too early to jump the gun on the theories.