don't click here

Want to convert my phone

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Elektro-Omega, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I have got a Nokia N95 handset that I had before I changed contracts. It has the battery but no sim card. I have semi-hacked it already so I can install My own applications / Pythin code and examine the root files and folders on it but I am looking to do more.

I am looking to remove the phone book and messaging features and program some new things into it if possible. I downloaded Carbide theme creator to hopefully see if changing the theme will allow me to change any core files and I will be experimenting with that.

I would like to see if I can create a mini PDA / PC of sorts with just things I would want on it.

My real question is shall I stick with the symbian OS on it for the moment and try editing things around in it or is it possible to format it with another OS such as Linux where I can create more of a computer based interface and program applications from that (also if its a linux install I could possibly install gens).

I'm sure the community can help me out with this.

Also because I'm relatively new to this, consider me to have no knowledge in the subject. :P

Thanks

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    To my knowledge, there's no way of getting an OS other than Symbian on the N95. Sorry =P

3. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Oh man, no worries anyway.

I'm gonna have a go at some Python coding on it and seeing if I can get anywhere with that.

Thanks for the reply Overlord.

4. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
  5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well, you could take a crack at editing the Symbian OS code yourself and compiling your own build for your needs. It was open sourced recently, but I dunno if the kinks were taken out (like the reliance on a proprietary and discontinued commercial compiler instead of the GNU counterpart) already or not.

6. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    The latest Symbian (I believe Symbian^3) can use the Nokia SDK, which uses GCC 4.x.