Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 HD Alpha release

#586 User is offline Tithin 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

• There ain't no row, like Saints Row.
So wait, does this appl to both the 32 bit and the 64 bit exes? I only ran the 64 bit one and it didn't trip my antivirus (eset).

#587 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostWalnut, on 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

I gotta say this made for a fun day on IRC

Got any saved chat logs?

View PostTithin, on 10 April 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

So wait, does this appl to both the 32 bit and the 64 bit exes? I only ran the 64 bit one and it didn't trip my antivirus (eset).

I'd delete them both to be on the safe side.

#588 User is offline H Hog 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

• The Ultimate Oswald!
  • Project:Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
  • Wiki edits:32
So hey, uhm... Any word, reaction, or even a sign of life at all from LOst since this thing started?
Anything whatsoever?
This post has been edited by H Hog: 10 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

#589 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostH Hog, on 10 April 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

So hey, uhm... Any word, reaction, or even a sign of life at all from LOst since this thing started?
Anything whatsoever?

He was on once but did not grace this topic and instead posted something over in GSD. He has also apparently set his status to invisible or something now.

#590 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostJaxTH, on 10 April 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

Anything whatsoever?

He was on once but did not grace this topic and instead posted something over in GSD. He has also apparently set his status to invisible or something now.

He posted once in this thread to confirm that, yes, you're not allowed to hack his shit.

#591 User is offline CesspoolofHatred 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostCooljerk, on 10 April 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

View PostJaxTH, on 10 April 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

Anything whatsoever?

He posted once in this thread to confirm that, yes, you're not allowed to hack his shit.

Fuck him, hack all his shit.

Retro has basically built itself on hacking shit, and after all this, he deserves NO exception whatsoever.

#592 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
His stuff was already hacked earlier. Bits of source code were even ripped out of it.

The main question is whether the project will continue, now that Sonic 2 HD is synonymous with LOst potentially stealing people's passwords.

#593 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostVaiyt, on 10 April 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

The guy wanted to keep people from TAKING SCREENSHOTS of the game.

F***ING

SCREENSHOTS

no rly

[citation needed]
But in seriousness, since this is the second or third time someone's posited this as the reason for the keylogger, has anyone tested to see what (if anything) happens when a screenshot is attempted?

#594 User is online WAC 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

• Project:???
This has got to be the worst thing I have ever seen happen to Sonic fangaming and Sonic Retro. You know, I recently pirated Multimedia Fusion 2 and got false positives, but my anti-virus program gave me the option to get rid of it instead of just automatically deleting it. With this game however, as soon as my anti-virus program scanned it, they automatically removed the dangerous parts of the fangame. I now have to warn a lot of people about this bullshit on some forums I go to and Facebook. I have never linked anyone anything malicious in the past and it makes me so fucking mad one of the most hyped Sonic fangames ever has caused me put harm toward other people's computers. I generally try to be nice on this site but fuck you LOst. You've destroyed the reputation of this project and damaged Sonic Retro's image in ways I didn't even think was possible. How about you make a response explaining your actions instead cowardly not saying anything? :| You cocksucker.

#595 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View Postdsrb, on 10 April 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

View PostVaiyt, on 10 April 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

The guy wanted to keep people from TAKING SCREENSHOTS of the game.

F***ING

SCREENSHOTS

no rly

[citation needed]

Citation provided:

Cerulean Nights elaborated even further on Reddit in response to concerns about the code obfuscation being flagged as a virus:
The DRM technique employed is unfortunately the lesser of two evils that our programmer would settle for. Simply put, he is extremely paranoid and initially wanted to try to remove any capability to take screenshots or capture video as well. Insane I know.

link: http://www.sonicretr...ic-2-hd-parade/
Reddit topic: http://www.reddit.co...stalgia/c45qomb

EDIT: Nobody is saying he HAS removed the ability to remove screenshots - the fact that screenshots are floating across the web enmasse disproves that easily. Rather, people are positing that perhaps the keylogger is related to the very real ability to disable screenshots that he once proposed. Because, for me at least, I'd much rather believe that the keylogger is the remnants of a misguided "feature" rather than an attempt at malice. Because I still like this place the people in it, and I've known lost for years and it's still hard for me to believe he;s purposely fucked up this badly.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 10 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

#596 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Do me a favor guys, Spread the word on the whole Issue with LOst and post the editorial along with it on whatever gaming press site you go to and you see the article pertaining to this. Luke's word warping is going to be one of many idiot journalists who are going to make it look like Retro are the evil development team who are putting keyloggers in fangames and trying to steal data when we all know thats not the case.

We gotta save face on what little respect we do get from the outside, I'd really hate to see SAGE tainted by something like this.

#597 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

• Project:Saerching for Google alternatives
  • Wiki edits:6
I can't believe I had to go into my regedit to delete a keylogger from this game. Way to go LOst that dick of a move you have done was not only a massive up yours to this community but a bigger one to your own team members. If you were that bothered about anyone hacking and taking pictures (which is just insane) of your work then you should have kept your engine to yourself.

#598 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
I feel like it's extremely important to note that we have no evidence of malicious intent. As far as we can tell, the game does not store your keystrokes either locally or remotely. The only thing we can say for certain is that while S2HD is running, it listens to keystrokes no matter what app has focus, so if you alt-tab to your browser, S2HD can still read your keystrokes. Right now the only confirmed security problem this presents is that Sonic might jump if you hit spacebar while typing a forum post. Retro's advice to delete the software is more of a cautionary, "better safe than sorry" warning until we know more about what's going on.

#599 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostCooljerk, on 10 April 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Citation provided:
[…]

I was referring to the assertion that it was included specifically to prevent screenshots, not its mere existence, which I don't doubt at all; but you got that in your edit.

Listening to keystrokes at all times also seems silly. Kinda seems like being a control-freak (pun unavoidable).

#600 User is offline Josh 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostGuess Who, on 10 April 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

I feel like it's extremely important to note that we have no evidence of malicious intent. As far as we can tell, the game does not store your keystrokes either locally or remotely. The only thing we can say for certain is that while S2HD is running, it listens to keystrokes no matter what app has focus, so if you alt-tab to your browser, S2HD can still read your keystrokes. Right now the only confirmed security problem this presents is that Sonic might jump if you hit spacebar while typing a forum post. Retro's advice to delete the software is more of a cautionary, "better safe than sorry" warning until we know more about what's going on.

Yeah, what he said. This doesn't look like a keylogger at all to me, given the information provided. It doesn't LOG anything, right? At best, L0st had some sloppy code. At worst, he was trying to disable screenshots and videos. But I don't think he meant anything more malicious than that, given that the program doesn't store anything it reads and doesn't communicate anything back.

I haven't uninstalled it. Reporting it like this without clearly defining what it does, calling it a keylogger when it evidently is not, and throwing unwarranted hysteria around is going to hurt Retro's reputation more than L0st being an asshat with his code ever could.

That said, I understand why such swift precautions had to be taken. Even the possibility that it was a keylogger was cause for concern. I just wish we'd taken a few hours to discuss it as a community and taken more time to figure out what it was before letting it get out to mainstream gaming blogs.

• 66 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users