Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Modern Sonic Generations 2D - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Modern Sonic Generations 2D

#1 User is offline Gabriel Sloan 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

• Blast Processing
  • Project:Sonic Playthroughs - YouTube Channel
Last week, I cancelled my previous fangame; Sonic Synergy then like 5 minutes later, I found out that SAGE 2015 was on 18th December 2015, so I thought I might enter it for the first time. I came across a poorly built Sonic engine for GameMaker 8.1 Pro because I really didn't want to code all of that Sonic Synergy engine again. But a lot of stuff in a normal Sonic game were missing, like a Game Over screen, good physics and a load of other things the list would go on and on...

The game is definitely unfinished, the only level that is in the game at the moment is just the Hub World and a tiny portion of Emerald Coast, by tiny portion I mean the only thing that is in the level is a straight solid block with a sand texture, an Emerald Coast background I created with some textures from Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic 1 (credit to Spriters Resource for the sprites). Recently I've been trying to get the life counter to work as the engine developer didn't even put Game Over screen in the game and every time you died it would just take a life away and either send you to the start of the map or to the most recent checkpoint you got.

That may sound normal but in fact, when you die, the game is meant to restart the entire level which will reset all of the objects in the room, take a life away and fill up your entire boost gauge again. But it doesn't do that it just sends you to the co-ordinates of the places you need to be once you die.

After I have finished Emerald Coast, I will put out a demo of the game on here but if you want to record gameplay you may need some video editing software. Look at this video I uploaded and you will see what I mean...

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Note: The whole "check out my forum" thing at the end was not me, that was the pre-built engine's developer telling you to go to his GameMaker forum. Also I decided to show you the test level because I felt the need to demonstrate the engine's capabilities.

Gameplay
- I have planned to put at least 6 playable stages and 1 extra bonus stage with Classic Sonic
- There will only be 2 playable characters (Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic)
- 3 boss levels (each after 3 levels, then the final boss after the second boss)
- There will be a Sonic 3 style saving with the same Options menu background and music

Modern Sonic Controls
- Sadly, I haven't planned to put any controller support in but I'll think about it in the future
- Spacebar = Jump
- Z = Boost
- X = Stomp if you're in the air or slide if you are on the ground
- C = Initiate Super Sonic
- Shift = Debug Camera

Classic Sonic Controls
- Spacebar = Jump
- Z = Spindash
- X = Super Peelout
- C = Initiate Super Sonic
- Shift = Debug Camera
This post has been edited by Gabriel Sloan: 30 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

#2 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostGabriel Sloan, on 30 October 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Recently I've been trying to get the life counter to work as the engine developer didn't even put Game Over screen in the game and every time you died it would just take a life away and either send you to the start of the map or to the most recent checkpoint you got.

Pseudocode:

lives--;
if (lives <= 0) {
	gameOver();
} else {
	restartLevelAtNearestCheckpoint();
}

This seems like something that would be fairly simple to add...
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 30 October 2015 - 04:59 PM
Reason for edit: +linebreak

#3 User is offline Gabriel Sloan 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

• Blast Processing

View PostGerbilSoft, on 30 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Pseudocode:

lives--;
if (lives <= 0) {
	gameOver();
} else {
	restartLevelAtNearestCheckpoint();
}

This seems like something that would be fairly simple to add...

Is that code for GameMaker: Studio? It doesn't appear to work on GameMaker 8.1 Pro, I've tweaked it a bit to see if it would work but the "gameOver();" and "restartLevelAtNearestCheckpoint();" are causing script errors. "Unknown function or script"
This post has been edited by Gabriel Sloan: 30 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

#4 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Little hint - Google what "pseudocode" means. =P

#5 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

• RickRotate'd.
...I said that was pseudocode. Not real code, but a basic structure of what your code should look like.

You're going to need to change the function calls to things that show a Game Over sprite and/or restart the level. It sounds like you already have level restart, so that code can be used for that branch.

EDIT: Also, I don't know GM scripting, so I can't say if that syntax is even valid. The syntax I used is based on C.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 30 October 2015 - 07:31 PM
Reason for edit: +syntax

#6 User is offline Gabriel Sloan 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

• Blast Processing
I might just switch to the Sonic Dash+ engine instead, this life counter thing seems overly complicated. I have to set every single object in the game to be persistent to the room so I'll just use Sonic Dash+ instead because it actually has a working life system.
This post has been edited by Gabriel Sloan: 30 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

#7 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

• RickRotate'd.
I'm sorry, but if you think that's too complicated, you might want to take some introductory programming courses first. Attempting to make a game with no clue how to program is going to end up with terrible results.

#8 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostGabriel Sloan, on 30 October 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

I might just switch to the Sonic Dash+ engine instead, this life counter thing seems overly complicated.

tl.dr. I applied to be an animator at Disney. They wanted me to draw a box in perspective, so I quit. Maybe I'll try Dreamworks Interactive.

#9 User is offline Mors 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

• Fangame Creator
  • Project:Super Mario Flashback
A Game Over screen is something really easy to add. The only thing you need is just some basic Game Maker knowledge. And a random Sonic Engine is a bad place to start learning Game Maker. Just watch some tutorials and make some basic projects.
Also, it's not a good idea to be too ambitious. Start simple. Remaking Sonic Generations (I know it's not a 100% remake) is something pretty hard for a beginner.

#10 User is offline Chaos Rush 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Cut the guy some slack, he's only 13 according to his profile,

Gabriel Sloan, rather than using an engine that's already complete with features you'd have trouble understanding how it works, I'd suggest looking at one of Damizean's older movement-only engines and add stuff to it by looking at how other engines work. If you're planning on learning how to program in the future, I think Game Maker is a great program to learn the basics of programming, and it will make learning C/C++/Java a lot easier.

Also for future reference, don't blame the engine creator for not including a feature you want. If there's something missing, then you add it yourself. That's why it's your fangame, not the engine creator's fangame.
This post has been edited by Chaos Rush: 31 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

#11 User is offline Gabriel Sloan 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

• Blast Processing

View PostChaos Rush, on 31 October 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Cut the guy some slack, he's only 13 according to his profile,

View PostChaos Rush, on 31 October 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Also for future reference, don't blame the engine creator for not including a feature you want. If there's something missing, then you add it yourself. That's why it's your fangame, not the engine creator's fangame.

I think you're right but in my Validation Form I did say "I don't see myself as a programmer of high standards but I can create fan-games with fan-made engines", I'm not really a proper game developer but the main programming languages I do know are Python, VB.NET, HTML, CSS and a few others.

Also, can I possibly get rid of this annoying Sonic Heroes mystery box thing... It's really difficult to type when the screen keeps flashing like this.
This post has been edited by Gabriel Sloan: 31 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users