Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New Sonic 1 Alpha Screens Discovered - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 23 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

New Sonic 1 Alpha Screens Discovered

#31 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66
Is it me or the palmtrees look completely different from those first-seen proto pictures? Also, that monster guy looks kinda different too.

#32 User is offline big smile 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:42 AM

View Postsuperevil, on 03 May 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

I did a super fast translation of the article. It's a bit sloppy, seeing that I haven't even had a cup of coffee this morning yet, and I left a little translation jargon in there.
Not sure if that helps anything in any way, but it felt like a nice little exercise.

Excellent translation! It's kind of ironic: SOA didn't like Sonic as they thought it wouldn't appeal to the US market, yet Sonic Team primary goal was to create an American-style character! It's also interesting that the name wasn't finalised at that point.

#33 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:57 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Wow, amazing scans there! Can't believe the clarity of those screenshots. When I think back to the one or two blurry screenshots we had back in the day, it's absolutely incredible that such clear material exists.

Is this scan the first that suggests that the old screenshot of a title screen with a black background, which has been floating around for donkey's years, could be from this build? The screenshot in this article has all of the same differences (ring extends down further, "SONIC" text is smaller), though has obviously been taken a second or two earlier than the old screenshot.

Really wish Mr. Naka had been able to include this in Mega Collection as he'd originally wanted - such a shame SEGA no longer had a copy. Saw someone mention drx might have a lead on this currently - if that information is accurate, then I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

#34 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:13 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
From what I heard from my brother, there's plenty of shops that sell tons of magazines going back to years ago. He was a Dreams Come True fanatic at the time and found magazines with interviews with them dating back to the early nineties. So it's not too far fetched you could find some old magazines over there.

#35 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
A little research so far hasn't brought up any leads to purchase the actual magazine itself, but there were several other covers with Sonic on MegaDrive Fan, including one of him driving the Ferrari from OutRun, circa 1991.

#36 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

I would love to know if there was a build that included these Marble Zone graphics, I wonder what surprises are hidden beyond Green Hill Zone?

Posted Image

#37 User is offline Hez 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
What amazing quality.....man this gives me hope!

#38 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
We need to arrange for a new Sonic 1 hoax every month or so, considering every time one crops up on here we end up finding new legit information. If we stuck to that time table, we should have our hands on a proto by the end of the year :P

#39 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 04 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I would love to know if there was a build that included these Marble Zone graphics, I wonder what surprises are hidden beyond Green Hill Zone?

Posted Image

Part of me feels this was more of a mock up similar to Dust Hill. Mind you, I've no empirical evidence to back that up, so it's just conjecture.

#40 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73

View PostTheKazeblade, on 03 May 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

I'm hoping drx's new lead to get a build doesn't go cold.

Don't hold your breath. Ever since the Megaupload incident, drx has been paranoid about hosting downloads on his site. If he does find it, someone else would have to host it now because of his paranoia. No disrespect, but I think he's overreacting. Though that's just my thought on the matter. I suppose it could be argued that even prototype ROM images that are over a decade old have rights despite never being intended for public release. But whatever, we'll get to this issue when and if it actually happens.
This post has been edited by Glisp: 04 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

#41 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6
Was any of the original Sonic team asked about that picture of Marble Zone if it's from a alpha build?

#42 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

• Wiki edits:100

View PostGlisp, on 04 May 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Don't hold your breath. Ever since the Megaupload incident, drx has been paranoid about hosting downloads on his site. If he does find it, someone else would have to host it now because of his paranoia. No disrespect, but I think he's overreacting. Though that's just my thought on the matter. I suppose it could be argued that even prototype ROM images that are over a decade old have rights despite never being intended for public release. But whatever, we'll get to this issue when and if it actually happens.

I'd be more than happy to host things and take heat if necessary.

#43 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostGeneHF, on 04 May 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 04 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Part of me feels this was more of a mock up similar to Dust Hill. Mind you, I've no empirical evidence to back that up, so it's just conjecture.

Yeah, it definitely looks to be a mock up... but I'm hoping that this alpha Marble Zone & Dust Hill where in game at some point.

I remember reading in the old Dust Hill thread some years back that this was confirmed by the level artist (Brenda?) although my memory is a bit flaky.

#44 User is offline drx 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

• <Shade> fuck MJ
  • Project::rolleyes:
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostGlisp, on 04 May 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I have plans to fix the Hidden Palace situation, I've just been very busy with my personal life the past few years. If (and that is a big if) I ever find and dump a Sonic 1 proto that's different than final, this would not be a problem at all.

#45 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Wouldn't just posting torrents of them be a good solution to any problem there may be with hosting those prototypes, anyway?

• 23 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users