Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Genesis Flashback console from AtGames - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Genesis Flashback console from AtGames

#1 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1882
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
With all the console remakes going on, I feel like I've been missing out. but this one cought my eye, you can play 85 built in games plus use your carts ! plus you get wireless controllers !
I think ill be getting one, wonder if I can stick a 32x on this bad boy, XD

https://www.polygon....console-premium


But than I saw this video,,,,, lol


and this.....

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 10 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

#2 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

  • The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Posts: 1842
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Japan
  • Wiki edits:16
Can't they just let it die already?

If they fix the god aweful audio then fine, I'll invest in one, but if they haven't, then I'm not interested, and I don't think anyone else should be.

#3 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

  • Posts: 222
  • Joined: 15-April 13
  • Gender:Male
I've kind of wanted one of these, I like how they went for what looks like a full scale Genesis rather than a "mini" variant. Wireless is a nice touch too. This will really get my interest if they put SEGA CD support, otherwise it's just sort of cool.

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

  • Posts: 10792
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Did the guys in those videos not see the announcement footage? Sound quality seems to be fine in this one.

The bad points:
  • Size. Why a full-size Mega Drive again? I'm sure they could have designed something cool reminiscent of the original that didn't waste so much space.
  • Pseudo-transparency and color blending effects are gone now, since the only optional video mode is "scanlines" (no RF video simulation).
  • Includes crap non-Genesis games as filler, which lower the overall quality (and defeat the whole point) of the product.

As I see it, this seems to be a big step in the right direction, even though there's still room for improvement. Unlike with the previous attempts, I wouldn't be embarrassed of giving this one as a present to somebody.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 10 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

#5 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

  • Posts: 2644
  • Joined: 24-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:O'Fallon Mo
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I'm shocked that they finally fixed the horrible sound emulation from previous models! It's about damn time atgames. :v: Part of me wants this thing for some reason, despite the fact that I own four Genesis already... I bet it still won't be able to play flash carts though.

#6 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

  • True Blue
  • Posts: 2557
  • Joined: 27-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wherever life takes me...
  • Wiki edits:3,086
Wait...they FINALLY FIXED THE SOUND?!



I am interested now. Will wait for reviews to confirm.
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 10 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

#7 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1882
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
If they fixed the sound compared to previous attempts, than, Hell yeah !
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 10 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

#8 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

  • Posts: 10792
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Damn, it looks like there may be some shady stuff behind the sudden sound improvement and rewind feature implementation: Hrmph


If it's using the Genesis Plus GX Libretro module, they could have kept the RF filter option at least. =P
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 13 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

#9 User is offline Gammatron 

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 26-June 17
I feel like products like this are basically aimed at people who don't know any better. It's not like a vintage Genesis is expensive or hard to get. It was a popular system that was made in large quantities and most of them still work without having to be repaired. It's the games themselves that are expensive. The average consumer probably doesn't know about flash carts.

That said, the people this is aimed at probably don't care that the sound emulation sucks and it doesn't work with the 32X and CD. They just see it in the store, go "oh hey, I remember the Genesis! This has a bunch of games already on it!" and just impulse buy it.

#10 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostICEknight, on 13 June 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Damn, it looks like there may be some shady stuff behind the sudden sound improvement and rewind feature implementation: Hrmph


If it's using the Genesis Plus GX Libretro module, they could have kept the RF filter option at least. =P


Just wanted to roll in and say those same people were saying the exact same thing about Sega Forever before it launched. I mean that literally -- their claims about AtGames and Sega Forever were the same complaint, they rolled them into one. Weeks of "They stole libRetro for Sega Forever!" with their proof being that they gave a pitch once. Then Sega Forever released, and they immediately dropped the claim that Sega Forever stole LibRetro without ever making good on all their claims.

Which is to say -- as someone who has been following what they've been saying for weeks now -- wait for the product to actually release and LibRetro to be found actually in the thing before picking up your pitchforks. Because this same dude has been wrong within the last few weeks about companies stealing his tech.

#11 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

  • Dem Melons
  • Posts: 3030
  • Joined: 10-February 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Victoria, Australia
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostGammatron, on 07 July 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

I feel like products like this are basically aimed at people who don't know any better. It's not like a vintage Genesis is expensive or hard to get. It was a popular system that was made in large quantities and most of them still work without having to be repaired. It's the games themselves that are expensive. The average consumer probably doesn't know about flash carts.

That said, the people this is aimed at probably don't care that the sound emulation sucks and it doesn't work with the 32X and CD. They just see it in the store, go "oh hey, I remember the Genesis! This has a bunch of games already on it!" and just impulse buy it.

I dunno, there's probably a bit of a periphery demographic for those that already have original Mega Drives, but don't really want to fork out for the money and then fuss around with something like the OSSC. HDMI is a huge deal, is what I'm saying here. Input lag from Composite on modern TVs is trash.

If they have suitably fixed up the sound emulation, which was the most major issue with the Firecore emulators, then this is the demographic it captures. Especially with people that'll want to launch titles from cartridge.

How else do you play lag-free Pete Sampras Tennis? Assuming the cart slot supports J-Carts. :specialed:

#12 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:15 AM

  • Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Posts: 1184
  • Joined: 14-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The middle of nowhere, Kansas
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168

View PostCooljerk, on 07 July 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 13 June 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Damn, it looks like there may be some shady stuff behind the sudden sound improvement and rewind feature implementation: Hrmph


If it's using the Genesis Plus GX Libretro module, they could have kept the RF filter option at least. =P


Just wanted to roll in and say those same people were saying the exact same thing about Sega Forever before it launched. I mean that literally -- their claims about AtGames and Sega Forever were the same complaint, they rolled them into one. Weeks of "They stole libRetro for Sega Forever!" with their proof being that they gave a pitch once. Then Sega Forever released, and they immediately dropped the claim that Sega Forever stole LibRetro without ever making good on all their claims.

Which is to say -- as someone who has been following what they've been saying for weeks now -- wait for the product to actually release and LibRetro to be found actually in the thing before picking up your pitchforks. Because this same dude has been wrong within the last few weeks about companies stealing his tech.


So hey, I'd missed this before but yeah, I'd bet that TwinAphex/Dante Alighieri is the Libretro dev making these claims. He's been a nuisance before on the /r/emulation subreddit, frequently spreading nonsense about emulation projects that are either A.) closed-source or B.) won't immediately agree to have their work become a libretro core. The guy would make claims that others aren't emulating things properly and wouldn't listen to evidence to the contrary or in the case of a Wii U emulator that wasn't open source, he spread a rumor about them illegally using a Nintendo Devkit to get as far as they were. It got to the point where the other libretro devs had to take the "libretro" reddit username from him and make a statement on that account basically saying that his views do not represent the views of the entire team. I wouldn't rule his statements out as impossible, but I'd recommend taking them with a grain of salt until there is proof.

#13 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

  • Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 01-November 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40
So this could be the Libretro Penders. Got it.
This post has been edited by Ch1pper: 08 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

#14 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

  • Posts: 222
  • Joined: 15-April 13
  • Gender:Male

View PostFlygon, on 07 July 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

I dunno, there's probably a bit of a periphery demographic for those that already have original Mega Drives, but don't really want to fork out for the money and then fuss around with something like the OSSC. HDMI is a huge deal, is what I'm saying here. Input lag from Composite on modern TVs is trash.

If they have suitably fixed up the sound emulation, which was the most major issue with the Firecore emulators, then this is the demographic it captures. Especially with people that'll want to launch titles from cartridge.

How else do you play lag-free Pete Sampras Tennis? Assuming the cart slot supports J-Carts. :specialed:/>

HDMI is a big deal for me because the external speakers hooked up to the TV don't support RCA, only HDMI. I can see why that's reason enough for someone to buy this over a standard Genesis, and most TV internal speakers have horrible base levels, so you have to rely on the io of the sound system much of the time.

#15 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

  • Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Posts: 405
  • Joined: 07-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Someplace somewhere
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66

View PostMarkeyJester, on 10 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Can't they just let it die already?

If they fix the god aweful audio then fine, I'll invest in one, but if they haven't, then I'm not interested, and I don't think anyone else should be.
It runs in a clock set up incorrectly. The recent Tec Toy release of Sega Genesis also disappoints with how glitched it runs some of the well-known games. Esrael even gave that thing a overclock and the result from the compatibility of both the sound and graphics became much better, but still shit even in comparison to the worst Genesis emulator we currently have for PC. And we know that most of the emulators skips errors and most of them don't run as the real hardware did. I don't know about the AtGames console, but I can expect something really bad coming from this one too.

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users