Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

#31 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Tileset's here.

But as I said you're probably better off finding better grass/foreground objects since mine aren't too great.

#32 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostPolygon Jim, on Nov 10 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

Uh, it's just GHZ with a texture.

No, it's not. If you're going to provide some sort of counter-argument or point against an opinion anyone has, be constructive about it or don't bother posting. There's a reason you were banned from the last Sonic 4 forum.

#33 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

• Wiki edits:10
Although I'm coming in a bit late here, I thought it'd be pretty cool for a starting stage to take place in an autumnal forest. Preferably an overcast one, too. It'd be more brown and orange than brown and green, but, eh, I'd still think it'd look pretty good.

Maybe a later level...?

#34 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
Really? The overused checkard pattern? I really don't like that idea, plus it looks similar to the first level of Sonic advance..

Yes, the level needs more detail, but I don't like the idea of shading the individual hexagons. All the first levels, save AIZ, used a fairly low detail simple pattern.

#35 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 02:53 PM, said:

Really? The overused checkard pattern? I really don't like that idea, plus it looks similar to the first level of Sonic advance..

It's no more "overused" than the pattern you came up with, quite bluntly. Maybe the shapes could be changed around a bit, admittedly, but it already looks much more detailed than what you came up with. If you think you can improve on yours, so be it, but so far this is looking like it could capture the feeling of a first level much better...

#36 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

• Giving 0 fucks since 01/01/2011
  • Project:Graphics for Sonic Zero: Remastered
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Nov 10 2008, 07:56 AM) [post="243508"]Posted Image
because circle tool sucks. My alternative isn't perfect but it's an improvement. Personally I think you'd be better off animating it in some way, like Oil Ocean's.

and as far as your hexagonal ground goes
Posted Image
maybe do what I've just done and have one or two a lighter (or darker) shade?

Oh and while I'm here, a while back this little project inspired me to make a few mockups of my own:
Posted Image
I mean I wouldn't recommend using it since there's a lot of sucky parts and I've no intention of going back and finishing the bits I'm missing, but I thought it might be worth posting. I've got an improved tileset if you're interested.[/quote]

HELL TO THE YES.

I've been pushing to see more detailed sprites in S4, but everyone seemed to be under the impression that Sonic CD-esque = better.

#37 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

• Adopt
Yeah, because levels like Mushroom Hill Zone are SO Sonic CD-esque, right?

At this point, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be part of this project. I think I have a different vision of this game than what's it's being turned into...

#38 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

At this point, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be part of this project. I think I have a different vision of this game than what's it's being turned into...

You musn't think about backing out. These are simply ideas being brought out for consideration.. no final decisions have been made yet. Besides, I'm leaning more towards your design at the moment as they are more original-looking for a Sonic game.

#39 User is offline Sik 

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
First of all that isn't hexagonal, it's octogonal.

Though maybe a hexagonal pattern would actually work... I don't recall having seen this kind of level with that pattern.

#40 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

• Giving 0 fucks since 01/01/2011
  • Project:Graphics for Sonic Zero: Remastered
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

All I'm hearing is "BAWWWW I'm GONNA QUIT IF YOU REPLACE MY WORK".

#41 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

People say they like somebody else's work more than yours, and all of a sudden you have to leave the project? I don't get it. This has to be, like, the first time somebody's ever left legitimate criticism of your work in light of a specific goal. All I saw on the old forums were people mindlessly praising you without any constructive discussion. Maybe you're not used to it, and maybe I came on a bit strong, but I see absolutely no reason for that attitude.

There's nothing significantly different going on here, and a "Sonic 4" sort of concept would not have taken a Sonic CD direction in terms of style. That was specific to Naoto Ohshima's way of thinking, and it's pretty obvious that a sequel would have, again, been headed by Hirokazu Yasuhara.

I believe Black Squirrel's mockup is more similar to that style. Why don't you, exactly?

View PostGameNerd Advance, on Nov 10 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

All I'm hearing is "BAWWWW I'm GONNA QUIT IF YOU REPLACE MY WORK".

You're not helping at all. Be constructive, or... well, just don't reply. We don't need this crap.

#42 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

• Adopt

View PostTweaker, on Nov 10 2008, 09:26 PM, said:

People say they like somebody else's work more than yours, and all of a sudden you have to leave the project? I don't get it. This has to be, like, the first time somebody's ever left legitimate criticism of your work in light of a specific goal. All I saw on the old forums were people mindlessly praising you without any constructive discussion. Maybe you're not used to it, and maybe I came on a bit strong, but I see absolutely no reason for that attitude.

Nonononono, this has nothing to do with criticism or whatever. I think it just has to do with creative differences. If this game is going to use an art style that I feel is not the right choice, I might as well just not be part of it. I'm not saying that it's bad, it's just not how I have always envisioned this project. Since this is now officially a community project, I am not going to go out of my way to force my work into this when the community seem to prefer something else more.

So, if my art style is not what is wanted, I see no point in me being part of this. I'm not trying to have a bad attitude or anything, I'm just trying to be sensible. I mean, since this project was first started, people have been complaining about my work on this level and I guess it's about time that I start listening to this...
This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 10 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

#43 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (PC2 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:28 AM) [post="243359"]Posted Image
I also have to agree with Guess Who - this is "the Sonic sequel", isn't it? Perhaps we should do something other than just straight up tiles - get a little random with it like AIZ, maybe.[/quote]
Why can't we just continue the changes made here? Keep the pattern but up the detail, maybe throw in a few unique tile sections here and there to mix things up a bit, surely that would meet the best of both worlds?

#44 User is offline roxahris 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

• Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it.
  • Project:Doing anything at all
  • Wiki edits:30
Personally, I think Rika's art looks good. Seeing as it's been used since the stars, why not continue using it and improving it? As for the other art...

View PostPolygon Jim, on Nov 11 2008, 05:12 AM, said:

Uh, it's just GHZ with a texture.
...basically this. (Yes, I can see the Chaotix tree, the generic new grass, and the random plants and cave stuff.) This is supposed to be, well, a fourth Sonic game, and Green Hill Zone+ doesn't seem to be right for that.

#45 User is offline CyclopsCaveman 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

• Crawled out of a fan.
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Nov 10 2008, 07:56 AM) [post="243508"]Posted Image[/quote]

I really like this, since it doesn't look old to me. It looks like something I've never seen before and I like it a lot. If we were
to do something like art-y transitions between acts, like Act 1 Dock -> Act 2 Beach -> Act 3 Overgrown rain forest or something like that, we could make the zones more diverse if we wanted to, but we could keep elements from previous zones sorta. Like, in the rain forest act we could have metal bridges that go over the water, but are broken apart and rusted away from all of the rain and have trees breaking through them making holes leading underwater.

And, to not have to make radically new tiles for each act, we could have similar tiles in each act. So, act 1 could have been bombed by Robotnik before Sonic got there, and as you get closer to shore, you start seeing sand on the docks, so in the beach level, we can have high tech walks that rise high above the beach that Sonic can take elevators up to, that have a small layer of sand on them. Something like that, you know?

• 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users