Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme One step closer to the truth, or?

#121 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Those quotes aren't being kept track of. Could you please make a topic with all the stuff you got from him?

#122 User is offline LOst 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

• Sonic 2 HD - Lead Programmer
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostE102, on 10 February 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

(confirmed as Sawada's)

Can you tell me everything you know about Tomonori Sawada? I have nothing! Skip any speculations.

EDIT: Sorry, again I should have checked the wiki before making the post.
http://segaretro.org...26redirect%3Dno
This post has been edited by LOst: 12 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

#123 User is offline Shadix 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

• Wiki edits:11

Track 14 (Sky Sanctuary Zone) is linked to Sawada by me because it sounds the most like some of his other work. Tell me this (confirmed as Sawada's) doesn't sound like SS. How about this one and its arrangement (both by Sawada). Sawada is all over that high synth sound, and it doesn't hurt that I concluded months ago, before I knew any of those confirmed tracks, that he composed that track and others that shared the same type of sound simply by accounting for known roles in the series and then taking what few context clues I had to assign each sets of tracks to a composer (for Nagao and Sawada, mainly). Furthermore, the other two tracks on the CD just don't sound that close to his known work.

Sky High is actually by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and that that version was like a remix album. Kenichi Tokoi, Jun Senoue, and quite a few other popular Sonic composers collaborated on that.

The traits you are attributing to him don't really define a style either. How did he get credited for Underground Zone btw? How are we sure he did Sky Sanctuary? I thought s2gg soundtrack was mostly Hataya, and Underground Zone in particular sounds very much in Hataya's style.

I'm also not sure I see this said correlation stylistically between Underground Zone and Sky Sanctuary. Granted, that doesn't mean much because part of being a successful composer is your ability to adapt to other styles, but I'm very curious as to where this info came from.
This post has been edited by Shadix: 12 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

#124 User is offline Dissident93 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

The only official thing that lists Sawada for Sky Sanc. (And Title & Angel Island), is this.

11 Title Music From Sonic 3
13 Angel Island Zone
14 Sky Sanctuary Zone

M11, M13-M14
----
Composer: Tomonori Sawada, Yoshiaki Kashima, Howard Drossin (specific details unknown)

#125 User is offline E102 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

• "γ"
  • Wiki edits:213

View PostShadix, on 12 February 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Sky High is actually by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and that that version was like a remix album. Kenichi Tokoi, Jun Senoue, and quite a few other popular Sonic composers collaborated on that.

OK, first off it's not a "remix." It's an arrangement. I must say I'm really starting to get annoyed by the 99% that coin all these unique definitions to a single word.

-Arrangement = How a composition is played
-Rearrangement = Taking a composition and playing it a different way. This includes extending a track past the original composition, so long as said composition remains in the track (ex. Rolling Eggman).
-Re-Arrangement = Taking a previous arrangement, and editing that just a little more, usually just adding something in, effectively maintaining the same arrangement style (ex. The "Blazy Mixes" for Sonic Rush) and Dream Bobsleigh
-Remix = Chopping up, reordering, repetition, etc. of audio clips with or without new sounds added in (ex. Sonic Boom D'nB Mix).
-Mix = Basic audio editing, such as merging the instrumental with the vocals and affecting the sound output, such as its pitch (ex. Sonic Heroes No-GTR Mix).
-Re-Mix = Taking an old set of audio and mixing it with a new one (ex. The 2007 versions of "Live & Learn" and "What I'm Made of" made for True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Second, have you ever listened to Sonic Riders' soundtrack? 0:54 should be what you want to hear from this.

Now let's look at Daytona. The original Sky High wasn't synth heavy. "Arrangement," as a term basically equates to "style," as it's being reinterpreted by someone else or by the same person in another way.

Another confirmed track by Sawada is the re-arranged version of Sona mi aieru ec sancitu. I've linked it to when the track starts to pick up.

The traits you are attributing to him don't really define a style either. How did he get credited for Underground Zone btw? How are we sure he did Sky Sanctuary? I thought s2gg soundtrack was mostly Hataya, and Underground Zone in particular sounds very much in Hataya's style.

S2GG was actually mostly Ogata (He is credited first, after all). The tracks with rythmn are mostly Ogata's, and those with melody (especially funk) tend to be Hataya's.

I proved it here. Sawada only did one track, and since he contributed to Sonic Gems Collection's music (which included quite a few mixes), enough research in accordance with credit order will prove which track is his. You see, when a composer is part of a project and their work is reused, they tend to rearrange said work: not always, but most of the time. Sonic Generations was certainly no exception to this, but M&SatOWGs was. In that game, Dream Short Track clearly resembles the original Egg Factory (and is thus a re-arrangement), with very little alteration. Sawada is the original composer, thus it is most likely his. Fittingly enough, Sawada is credited last (on Wii) and not at all on DS (where the track is absent), thus this must be his only composition.

Also on that game is Dream Bobsleigh (based on SH's Special Stage Bonus Challenge [composed by Hataya; credited for music work]) and Dream Snowboard Cross, Dream Alpine, etc. (Radical Highway, Seaside Hill, etc. [composed by Senoue; credited for music work])

Now you're probably asking "What about Sky Sanctuary?" (for Dream Gliding) Well aside from Senoue himself confirming it's his arrangement, the fact is that one thing does not necessarily imply another, and one must know what he is talking about to having sort of credibility what-so-ever. Jun arranged SS simply because he is interested in rearranging S3's soundtrack for newer games (just as he did with AI for SSBB), and, as he said he would, he delivered.

I don't know about you, but I actually put forth the effort and the initiative to research these things and actually say something about it. The gears will only turn if someone is doing the turning; they won't just turn themselves. Even if I'm wrong on something, it will only provide the energy necessary for someone else to prove me as such and deliver the real truth, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't exploited that to my advantage. I'm not in this for fame and recognition; I'm in this to find answers to questions that interest me. The important thing is here that we actually do something. Hesitation... is not in my nature.

So sue me if I don't have a close enough relationship with the developers to receive official word. What I've done might just be the closest to that you'll ever see (especially with this supposed lawsuit hanging over their heads), and when you try hard enough to find something, I'm sure you see that that is worth nearly as much.

I'm also not sure I see this said correlation stylistically between Underground Zone and Sky Sanctuary. Granted, that doesn't mean much because part of being a successful composer is your ability to adapt to other styles, but I'm very curious as to where this info came from.

I didn't necessarily say there was one, but the closest I'd say it sounds to SS is at 1:01 (compared to 0:06 into SS). Just a quick analysis on my part, though.
This post has been edited by E102: 16 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

#126 User is offline Dissident93 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Senoue confirmed Sky Sanc. being Sawada's? I must have missed this somewhere.

#127 User is offline Dissident93 

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Any updates evilhamwizard?

• 9 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users