Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Five new Sonic protos - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Five new Sonic protos Dreamcast and Sega CD

#91 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

• Wiki edits:109
Here's something that's a little useless, but if this weren't just a Trial - this is probably what you could've played up until this point:

Posted Image
(I would've copied this as text but Cheat Engine won't let me copy it. That, and I don't know where this list is - since it isn't anywhere in 1ST_READ)

Too bad that all of the files for these stages don't exist on the disc, except for City Escape. :argh:

also: rofl @ frying dog
This post has been edited by evilhamwizard: 05 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

#92 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

• Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582
If we can find the level changing code for the final we can do those test levels I bet.

I'm also willing to bet, "BASIC TEST" is the test level in SA2B.
This post has been edited by Polygon Jim: 05 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

#93 User is offline Sik 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
"An assumed name"?

#94 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

• Wiki edits:26
Just a little note. In the preview version (not the trial), I messed around with some random values, and was able to activate the a+ menu, which is basically the menu from the final, but loading random textures as the ones it needs to load don't exist. You can't activate dark's story because Eggman's story from the beginning isn't loaded, but it shows that the preview copy is just a modified beta.

edit:

View Postevilhamwizard, on Oct 5 2008, 03:37 PM, said:

Here's something that's a little useless, but if this weren't just a Trial - this is probably what you could've played up until this point:

(I would've copied this as text but Cheat Engine won't let me copy it. That, and I don't know where this list is - since it isn't anywhere in 1ST_READ)

Too bad that all of the files for these stages don't exist on the disc, except for City Escape. :argh:

also: rofl @ frying dog

Those strings are in TEXT_E.prs, decompress it using Nemesis's decompressor. There's nothing else useful in there, though. If you really want something intresting, decompress EVENT.prs
This post has been edited by Sazpaimon: 05 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

#95 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostPolygon Jim, on Oct 5 2008, 05:54 PM, said:

If we can find the level changing code for the final we can do those test levels I bet.

No, you can't. The files are not on the disc in the DC version.

In the GC version, level specific data is stored in STGXX.rel files. The test level is in STG02.rel
In the DC version, level specific data is stored in STGXX.prs files. There is no STG02.prs.
Besides, I already tried this 2 years ago when I found the test level. I'm fairly confident there aren't any others to be found, since we know where they're stored.

SA1 on the other hand, with it's different sub-levels, has more promise IMO. I don't think we have a definite way of knowing which level values can be loaded there and which can't. I'm still hopeful there's something we haven't seen there until there's a way to determine exactly what values are have data.

(Sadly, I have nothing new to contribute. I re-checked the final DC version yesterday and these other debug modes don't appear to be accessible there.)

#96 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

• Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582
I doubt there's any levels in SA1. All levels are in STG??.prs files, one is missing, STG11.prs. There's no hidden levels there, believe me, I've decompressed every level model in the game.

#97 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

View Postsonicblur, on Oct 5 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

View PostPolygon Jim, on Oct 5 2008, 05:54 PM, said:

No, you can't. The files are not on the disc in the DC version.

In the GC version, level specific data is stored in STGXX.rel files. The test level is in STG02.rel
In the DC version, level specific data is stored in STGXX.prs files. There is no STG02.prs.
Besides, I already tried this 2 years ago when I found the test level. I'm fairly confident there aren't any others to be found, since we know where they're stored.

SA1 on the other hand, with it's different sub-levels, has more promise IMO. I don't think we have a definite way of knowing which level values can be loaded there and which can't. I'm still hopeful there's something we haven't seen there until there's a way to determine exactly what values are have data.

(Sadly, I have nothing new to contribute. I re-checked the final DC version yesterday and these other debug modes don't appear to be accessible there.)

You're right, the preview build is also pretty much the same deal, looks like Sega didn't make the mistakes they made with the SADX preview copy in this one.

#98 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Are you sure that Sonic Adventure 2: Battle might not have a chance at getting working debug screens, sonicblur? Gamecube emulation is getting better and better everyday, which means you can pretty much play SA2:B at fullspeed if you have a good computer. Unfortunately Cheat Engine doesn't get the results I want when I use Dolphin with it so I don't know.

Here's another debug screen I managed to activate. It makes no sense to me though, maybe you know it's use:

Posted Image
I'm refering to the 2P Info crap. I'm not sure if FatalFart found these too or not...

Makes me wonder if the E3 version of Sonic Adventure might have some debug functionality, besides maybe this. Did anyone check?
This post has been edited by evilhamwizard: 05 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

#99 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

The E3 build of SA1 came after the JP release (though drx says that it may have been compiled prior, but I don't know about that). What really needs to be checked is the JP final of SA1, which, to my knowledge, hasn't even been ripped.

#100 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Heh, actually, I think that might be true. I managed to snag a copy of it in GDI format not too long ago. I can make a rip of it if you want. I don't think it would be that difficult to make one, unless you don't mind downsampled video/audio.

Or if you have Usenet (Giganews), I can tell you where I found it. Or better yet, give you a NZB to it. That's how I got it anyway, plus a few other treasures that's only easy to get if you have Usenet. :V

#101 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I have giganews, NZB away

I just checked binsearch.info for it, and didn't find anything, you sure it's still retained?
This post has been edited by Sazpaimon: 05 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

#102 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

View PostSazpaimon, on Oct 5 2008, 10:05 PM, said:

I have giganews, NZB away

I just checked binsearch.info for it, and didn't find anything, you sure it's still retained?

Yep, here it is:

http://dl.getdropbox...216/sa%20jp.nzb

Have fun. :colbert:

#103 User is offline Sazpaimon 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

I'm on it like chaos hedgie on kool-aid

#104 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View Postevilhamwizard, on Oct 5 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

Are you sure that Sonic Adventure 2: Battle might not have a chance at getting working debug screens, sonicblur? Gamecube emulation is getting better and better everyday, which means you can pretty much play SA2:B at fullspeed if you have a good computer. Unfortunately Cheat Engine doesn't get the results I want when I use Dolphin with it so I don't know.

I don't need an emulator. I have the hardware to debug the real thing.

I didn't say SA2:B has no chance of getting them, we've already had one of them. I'm just saying that I've looked there already and only found the one. If anyone manages to find anything else in the DC final, it's probably in SA2:B as well. I hope someone else does find something, I'd love to locate the same thing in the GC version.

#105 User is offline saxman 

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:57 AM

• Oldbie
  • Wiki edits:136
Someone needs to compile a list of all the Sonic prototypes the community has, because it's becoming difficult to keep track of these (or at least it is for me).

• 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users