Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Knuckles' Ringstar (Chaotix) pre-1207 Prototype magazine scans - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Knuckles' Ringstar (Chaotix) pre-1207 Prototype magazine scans

#46 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
"Mega Drive 32" was a European-only name that I think turned up after it was announced as the Sega Genesis 32X in the US. I don't know exactly when it changed but I think it might have been quite late.

There'll be clues on Sega Retro but our PDF support is bork, making it unpleasant to sift through right now.

#47 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 22 October 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

our PDF support is bork, making it unpleasant to sift through right now.

Yeah, and because of this, if a new magazine is uploaded it doesn't show up in it's catagory, and if it's totally new it doesn't get a category made.

#48 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostJaxTH, on 22 October 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 22 October 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

our PDF support is bork, making it unpleasant to sift through right now.

Yeah, and because of this, if a new magazine is uploaded it doesn't show up in it's catagory, and if it's totally new it doesn't get a category made.

That's actually a different issue, and it's because I cheat and use FTP to upload things en masse :v:/>

Fun fact: It was July 2016 when I made a formal request for a more active technical admin to sort out this noise, as neither me nor Hivebrain have the permissions to fix things. I'm still waiting for a response.

(a.k.a. someone will need to chase Scarred Sun around the internet, and that person isn't me because I do too much... and the courts say I mustn't)

#49 User is offline Kurairyu 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

View Postevilhamwizard, on 22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostKurairyu, on 21 October 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

This poor game had so many names; Sonic Crackers, Sonic Stadium, Project Casablanca, Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix: Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix, Knuckles' Chaotix ...

You can add "Sonic Chaotix" to the mix too (as well as just "Chaotix"). :P

I meant to post this a few months ago, but I found this (Hobby Consolas #33 - June 1994):
https://i.imgur.com/fDqCMol.jpg

This is the earliest mention of Chaotix I could find in my collection. At this time the 32X was still called the Mega Drive 32, but was confirmed to be using the SH2 processors and everything. It's only mentioned very briefly, but it confirms that it was being planned for the 32X even at this point.

Wow, I had no idea the "Chaotix" name is so old that it predates the Sonic removal! Looks like the port to 32x was under way during or not long after late April.

Some other things I noticed on this page;
The 32x pictured in the background looks like it has the Megadrive 32 name on the badge.
Looks like Winter Extreme and Operation Desert Moon never came out
The ports of Afterburner and Space Harrier are titled "Super"
Those Doom screenshots are from a prototype way older than the the September builds we have! It's running fullscreen (The pictures don't show the lag) like the later protos, and the HUD looks totally different! Interesting console placement too. whoops
This post has been edited by Kurairyu: 27 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

#50 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postevilhamwizard, on 22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

I meant to post this a few months ago, but I found this (Hobby Consolas #33 - June 1994):
Posted Image

This is the earliest mention of Chaotix I could find in my collection.

Oh, that one was buried in the topic of other knowledge.

View PostKurairyu, on 22 October 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Those Doom screenshots are from a prototype way older than the the September builds we have! It's running fullscreen (The pictures don't show the lag) like the later protos, and the HUD looks totally different! Interesting console placement too.

The text says that those are screens from the PC version.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 23 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

#51 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:54 PM

I've been wondering about Mighty's brief renaming to "Nat" that is shown in these screenshots. Given the naming scheme of the other characters, which are somewhat reflective of their personality type, the naming choice of "Nat" seems odd. At least until I discovered that "Natsu" is Japanese for "Summer" - which is something you could possibly use to describe the peaceful personality ascribed to Mighty in the Chaotix manual.

Is that too far of a leap to make? If not, could it have something to do with the song title "Door Into Summer"?

I'd certainly love to see some older builds some day and see a more comprehensive progression from Crackers to Chaotix.
This post has been edited by Prototype: 05 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

#52 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:24 PM

• Wiki edits:18
I think that's a huuuuuuuuuuge stretch but really, who knows.

#53 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

You're probably right. Could it be then, that when they looked back at old SegaSonic character designs and decided on Mighty to replace Sonic, that the design sheet had a preproduction name on it, and they inadvertantly used that before realising what his actual name was?

The name Nat just confuses me. It doesn't convey anything about his character. It's a very odd choice.

#54 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:10 AM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
Short for “natural,” perhaps?
Oshima might answer on twitter if someone asks him.

#55 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 29 August 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

View PostPrototype, on 25 August 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

this was an accidental find:

https://picclick.co....2681928669.html

i.e. they scanned in a bit of pre-existing Knuckles art, rather than make it from scratch.

I downloaded a Sonic Jam Art Gallery archive, and lo and behold I find this picture. Essentially the same picture as the one on the title screen, though the in-game version seems to be a tad off-model. That's to be expected with a rush-job like this. Everything else seems to line up though.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Prototype: 06 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users