Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Dreamcast mods for SADX - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 12 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Dreamcast mods for SADX DC Branding, textures, level ports, lighting research, etc.

#166 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostPkR, on 23 March 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

According to this page, the Chao that hatches from the secret egg in SA1 is a two-tone gray Chao, and it has no relation with the Chaclon Chao you see in the races. The screenshot on that page looks kinda different from the SADX two-tone gray Chao though, so maybe the information on that page is inaccurate, or SADX colors them differently.

I've looked at the Chao from the races and the Chao from the garden before and can confirm that they're the same type of Chao (Here's a comparison) . In fact, a while back I copied his data into one of the garden slots and put him in a VMS file, which you can get here if you want it.
There isn't a Chao in SADX that matches it exactly, so the twotone grey in SADX is probably the closest to what the Chao looked like anyway.

As for his name it's pretty funny because I've seen at least 3 names used for him - SA1 calls him Chaclon, SA2 calls him Chacron, SA1's website calls him Chakuron and I think something to do with SA2 calls him Chakron.

#167 User is offline LimitCrown 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hmm. How interesting. It seems that Chacron and the Chao from the Dreamcast version's Black Egg are the same after all. The picture of the Black Chao on the website made it seem as if the one from the egg was lighter-colored as well. I wonder why Chao Island states they were different colors.

Jmtshaw's pictures are of a much better quality than the ones on the website, so I believe it. After looking at them, I immediately proceeded to take pictures of the Two-Tone Black and Two-Tone Grey Chao to compare them with his. It appears that what I said was wrong. the Two-Tone Black Chao looks more similar to Chacron and the Chao from the Black Egg than the Two-Tone Grey Chao does. Here is the picture of the Two-Tone Black Chao and here is the picture of the Two-Tone Grey Chao. I'll report the error on the website and I apologize for my unintentional misinformation.

Jmtshaw, would you mind if we used these pictures in the website instead?

Edit: I now wonder whether in the Dreamcast version of SA2, Chacron and the Black Chao that you could get from the online black market are both Two-Tone Grey Chao. After looking at the image of the Black Chao used in the online Black Market more closely, it seems to resembles a Two-Tone Grey Chao more than it resembles a Two-Tone Black Chao.
This post has been edited by LimitCrown: 23 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

#168 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

I think that's what I took those for back then in the first place anyway, so go right ahead :)

I think part of the confusion (aside from Chacron being gray in SA2) is due to the fact that they used a monotone Black Egg for the Egg Carrier in SADX instead of a twotone one.

#169 User is offline LimitCrown 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thanks! I also looked at the picture of the Chao that was used for the cockroach race and it looks like a Two-Tone Black Chao as well, so both are certainly the same.

#170 User is offline PkR 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

• Project:Dreamcast assets for SADX, The Emeralds' Awakening
It's easy to change the secret egg to hatch a black two-tone Chao instead, but I'm currently having trouble getting the appearance to look right in my copy of SADX PC, even without mods. How do you get them to look like that? I used Fusion's Chao Editor to set different color values, and this is what it looks like on my copy:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by PkR: 23 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

#171 User is offline LimitCrown 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

For the Child Chao, move the magnitude slider to a value that's very close to 1 to get the right appearance. The major portions of the textures of neutral-aligned Child Chao become whiter as they age, which makes the actual base colors become more prominent. I used a Neutral Normal Chao because it closely matches the appearance of an older Chlid Chao, but there are noticeable differences between the two like the color of the emotion ball.

The Child Chao in SA1 seem to look different, having an appearance that resembles older Child Chao in SA2 and the ports of both games. It's merely a difference in how SA1's Chao system works compared to the ports, so things like the magnitude shouldn't be altered by the mod. It will cause the Chao to evolve earlier than it should.
This post has been edited by LimitCrown: 23 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

#172 User is offline PkR 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

• Project:Dreamcast assets for SADX, The Emeralds' Awakening
Ah alright, thanks for letting me know! I'm new to all this Chao stuff.
I'll push an update soon that will change it to a black two-tone Chao, also I have restored the effect that shows up when using the garden transporters, and I want to improve their collision (they're using SADX collision, which is flatter).

There's an interesting thing about the Chao I haven't been able to restore yet, there's a SET object called ZONE that is responsible for the Chao stopping and picking up toys during the Chao Race in SA1 (the SET objects aren't loaded at all in unmodded SADX). The object itself can be restored, but the game crashes when the Chao are about to pick up the toys, which I assume happens because of a missing animation or something.
I found out that some of those Chao actions (digging with the shovel, playing the trumpet) are related to behaviors the Chao can learn from animals, which were also replaced in SADX. Most of those seem similar to SA2B behaviors, and looking at how many unused behaviors there are in SA2 PC (restored by the "Chao World Extended" mod) I'm just wondering if those are in SADX as well. If they are, it would be a matter of finding them and reassigning the values for the ZONE object to make the Chao play the correct animation.

#173 User is offline LimitCrown 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hmm, Chao could do that in the SA1 Chao Races? That would be the first that I heard of it. I won't be able to be of much help with that, unfortunately.

• 12 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users