Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread Legacy Thread. IDW topic created.

#46 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

• Wiki edits:980
QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jan 27 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Vinchenz @ Jan 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
Hmm, I've always wanted to get into the Sonic Archie comics, but I started reading them from the beginning and quickly got bored because there never really was a consistent plot (also the fact that the stories were written for 6 year olds...).

If I were to get into the comics now, where should I start? I would really like to read this arc with the Death Egg and know what's going on before then.

Start reading them from the beginning anyway. The comedic plots don't last long. Under 20 issues if I remember correctly.

But then he'll have to go through the shit period that lasts from around the #90's until present #160! And.... Sonic Live!

#47 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
I quit trying to keep up with the comic series by the time I turned 9 years old. Its become even more convoluted than the game series has. Like, who the fuck is scourge and seriously what the hell happened to that ixis naugus guy. I'm sure by now Rotor lost his life to farmtown and Uncle Chuck joined the 12 step program.

#48 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Greg the Cat @ Jan 27 2011, 05:48 PM)
Geoffrey St. John now has magical powers

What? They managed to make him even more unlikeable? How did that happen? What sort of powers? Really, I kind of love Geoffrey because he's so completely and thoroughly unlikeable. I mean, that's pretty much his raison d'ĂȘtre, right? Only character in the franchise that can elicit any sort of emotional response from me. Whenever he gets punched in the face, I really appreciate it, you know? What a wildly successful character.

King Acorn's a bit of an asshole, too. I mean, you'd think he'd soften up once the whole robot duplicate thing blew over, but nope! The asshole caravan just keeps on truckin'. Nice how they went through all that effort to rescue and resuscitate an unabashed antagonist.

QUOTE (Vinchenz @ Jan 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
Hmm, I've always wanted to get into the Sonic Archie comics, but I started reading them from the beginning and quickly got bored because there never really was a consistent plot (also the fact that the stories were written for 6 year olds...).

If I were to get into the comics now, where should I start?

41 is where things start getting interesting. There might've been some decent stuff in the 30s, but I can't remember any of it and I'm sure it's just the Spaz covers misleading me. The transition between the "decent" period and the shitty scatterbrained baby steps period is painfully smooth.

Actually, I want to get into the Fleetway comics eventually, but I'm having the same problem there with the paper-thin kiddie game adaption stuff. The general Sega stories outweighing the actual Sonic content 4:1 is a serious turnoff too, only I wouldn't feel comfortable skipping over anything. Anyone here actually intimate with both series? How long does that one take to warm up?

#49 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

• Pinpricks
QUOTE (Mr Lange @ Jan 27 2011, 10:07 PM)
I quit trying to keep up with the comic series by the time I turned 9 years old. Its become even more convoluted than the game series has. Like, who the fuck is scourge and seriously what the hell happened to that ixis naugus guy. I'm sure by now Rotor lost his life to farmtown and Uncle Chuck joined the 12 step program.

I haven't read the comics, but Scourge is basically Bizarro-Sonic with his own cast of bizarro-counterparts to Sonic's pals. And his super-form is dark purple with black scleras.

#50 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (MegaDash @ Jan 28 2011, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE (Mr Lange @ Jan 27 2011, 10:07 PM)

I haven't read the comics, but Scourge is basically Bizarro-Sonic with his own cast of bizarro-counterparts to Sonic's pals. And his super-form is dark purple with black scleras.

Does scourge play farmtown because no one is buying my crops and rotor hasnt been online for weeks

#51 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

• Pinpricks
I doubt they have internets in Nega-Land or wherever they're from. No, wait, I remember Scourge was somehow sprouted from the Master Emerald when Sonic sneezed on it funny, or something. Don't know how the other ones came into the picture, like Monsieur Tails with the moussed up hair and the other evilbad versions of the Freedom Fighters.

#52 User is offline Vaiz 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

• these beats are too strict.
  • Project:Internet.
  • Wiki edits:92
They were all basically from an alternate universe Mobius, where Scourge was just Antisonic, and then some shit happened with the master emerald and he turned green.

#53 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (MegaDash @ Jan 27 2011, 09:19 PM)
I doubt they have internets in Nega-Land or wherever they're from. No, wait, I remember Scourge was somehow sprouted from the Master Emerald when Sonic sneezed on it funny, or something. Don't know how the other ones came into the picture, like Monsieur Tails with the moussed up hair and the other evilbad versions of the Freedom Fighters.

That crap came about because Scourge demanded that all the other evil Freedom Fighters become more than their original evil counterparts since he became Mr. I'm a BA Recolor. So Evil Tails called himself Miles, Evil Rotor called himself Boomer, I forget the other two though, and they all got a redesign that was more than just black leather.

Personally I miss Evil Sonic. He was a recolor yes, but at least they weren't trying to pass him off as an original character.

But Metal Scourge is kinda neat because they replaced Metal Sonic's stomach cannon with a very useful toaster of sorts

This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 27 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

#54 User is offline Enzo Aquarius 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

• 20% Cooler.
  • Project:Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
  • Wiki edits:519
QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 28 2011, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (Vinchenz @ Jan 27 2011, 08:07 PM)
If I were to get into the comics now, where should I start? I would really like to read this arc with the Death Egg and know what's going on before then.

Well, I'd suggest that if you want to follow the comic and have it be consistent, start at #160. I hate Ian Flynn's writing terribly, but maybe you'll enjoy it. Most people seem to.

For the record, Ian Flynn is a true bro. Met him once and he is really open to talking with fans and hearing their suggestions. Very funny guy too. Judging from what he said, he also hates Sonic Live!, but then again, who doesn't?

I personally am very impressed with what Ian Flynn has done with the comic ever since the Penders era, he turned a comic that was in the gutter into something worthy. He definitely has many plans for the future, which I quite look forward too.

In my opinion, regarding where you should start, read comics 1-50. Anything beyond 50 to Ian Flynn era is mostly fluff and/or reminiscent of a Jerry Springer/Love Octagon story with many of the issues drawn in a manga-like style (don't get me on the 'Sonic goes to school' issue or the infamous Sally breaks up with Sonic issue). Anything you need to learn can easily be figured out through notes in the comic or just by doing an Internet search (or, if I finished the darn comic parts of the wiki that I've been meaning to for ages).
This post has been edited by Enzo Aquarius: 27 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

#55 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

• Wiki edits:13
To be fair, I do like Jon "Dubs" Gray's "manga/cartoony" artstyle.

#56 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

• Pinpricks
Who drew the anatomically realistic-ish comics with everybody having defined muscles and such? Or were they just for Sally and Bunnie?

#57 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (MegaDash @ Jan 27 2011, 09:32 PM)
Who drew the anatomically realistic-ish comics with everybody having defined muscles and such? Or were they just for Sally and Bunnie?

I believe you're talking about Steve Butler. He doesn't do that style anymore; that was back in Penders' run, around the late 130s or so. It was really prominent in the Mobius: 25 Years Later arc.

#58 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jan 28 2011, 12:08 AM)
The best he gets is a copy of the script or the style documents after release, so he doesn't just have to rely on his own analysis.

Is this a public release or does he keeps it to himself?

#59 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jan 28 2011, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jan 28 2011, 12:08 AM)
The best he gets is a copy of the script or the style documents after release, so he doesn't just have to rely on his own analysis.

Is this a public release or does he keeps it to himself?

Well, occasionally Ian Flynn does get some notes about an upcoming game, but only enough to do a small "Go buy this game" kind of backstory, and usually it's either right before the game comes out anyway or right after it comes out.

#60 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
Personally, this is where I feel Ian fails. the only time I felt he got an adaption right was the Tails Adventure Adaption. I meen why bother even advertising an advertisement? Even the old Hawaiian Punch Comic ads were more of a comic than the post SA2 adaptions.

• 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users