Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Character Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Character Art Sonic, Tails & Small Animals

#16 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (The Growler @ Mar 28 2010, 03:43 AM)
Anyway, the chicken's turned out very nice thumbsup.png

Although is it just me, or do the shadows have a tint of purple to it? Zooming in, it would seem like it - just wondering why really?

*edit* Oh:
QUOTE (zemulii @ Mar 22 2010, 11:50 PM)
--my quote here--

I don't quite get this. How would making the shadows gray (if that's what you're talking about) affect how it blends in to the background? I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense myself!

Thanks! Yeah, the shadows are purple. Partly because that's what it's like in the official art, and partly because I like that more than the sprite, and I think grey is a bit bland (especially amongst such stylized and colourful surroundings)!

I don't think I explained that very well either actually.

Without the highlight line down the left side of the cheek, it was hard to distinguish between the background and the back of the chicken's head (I wanted the shape of that particular part to be quite obvious). It was kind of like dark on dark (no matter where I put him in the mockup screen). It was also included to try and give the impression that the cheek was "popping out". Or else it could just look like he had a weird bump at the back of his head... I think the newer one does that a lot better though. Not sure what you meant by making the shadows grey, but hopefully that's a little clearer smile.png?

#17 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (zemulii @ Mar 28 2010, 04:09 AM)
Not sure what you meant by making the shadows grey, but hopefully that's a little clearer smile.png?

I getcha now thanks; anyway, I meant that it was just a suggestion to change the purple shading on the chicken into grey, that's all really.

#18 User is offline Extreme-Giga 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've had a try at drawing the Hawk for the project, please keep in mind that this is currently a work in progress vector image, I already know there is a lot to be done to this image, feed back would be appreciated.

As you can see I made 3 different versions, two of them have spiked wings (if you will) and the other one then has the same wings as the original sprite, if you would like me to continue with recreating the Hawk sprites, which one do you like more? (the one in the middle's highlights on the wings will be edited soon!)

#19 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Extreme-Giga @ Apr 7 2010, 07:31 PM)

Those are some SCARY looking eyes.

#20 User is offline Extreme-Giga 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Apr 8 2010, 02:07 AM)

I'll try to fix them, what exactly makes them "SCARY" too much blue shadow shading on the conjunctiva?

#21 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

• And I'm gone again.
QUOTE (Extreme-Giga @ Apr 7 2010, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Apr 8 2010, 02:07 AM)

I'll try to fix them, what exactly makes them "SCARY" too much blue shadow shading on the conjunctiva?

I was referring to the elongated pupils. Combined with the complete lack of emotion on its face, the eagle almost looks demonically possessed.
This post has been edited by RedStripedShoes: 07 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

#22 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Welcome Extreme-Giga,

Before getting extreme with shading, please do read the Contribution Guidelines and have a look at Flicky's example! wink.png

#23 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
I think I'll wait until after CN has come in, repeated what he's said about shapes, shading, etc. again at length, and then comment. In the long run, you'll thank him for it. smile.png

#24 User is offline Extreme-Giga 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the feed back everyone. thumbsup.png
I took another go at re-creating the sprites for the Hawk, as you can see its just another W.I.P. vector art (at this point in time), I would like to ask if you think my art is currently what you would consider to be in theme with the same art-style of the project, and weather or not I should continue with it?

(Ps. the feet are incomplete, they are simply place holders, same goes for the beaks of the flying away animation.)

#25 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Yes, this version is much better! smile.png

-Ditch the gradient shading, only manual shading is allowed on Character Art.
-Post your art at the original 4X in-game resolution. (If you use Illustrator scale down to 100% zoom, matching the size of original frame)

#26 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

• And I'm gone again.
QUOTE (Extreme-Giga @ Apr 8 2010, 06:32 PM)

Thanks for the feed back everyone. thumbsup.png
I took another go at re-creating the sprites for the Hawk, as you can see its just another W.I.P. vector art (at this point in time), I would like to ask if you think my art is currently what you would consider to be in theme with the same art-style of the project, and weather or not I should continue with it?

(Ps. the feet are incomplete, they are simply place holders, same goes for the beaks of the flying away animation.)

Still not perfect, but at least now I don't have to worry knowing that the Devil Bird will find me in my sleep and consume me whole.

The shape of the beak is still pretty unfriendly-looking. I know it's an eagle, but it should look cute and helpless above all else.

#27 User is offline Cracker 

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:05 AM

It might not be how the original was but, I have to quote a film now.
You see this hawk well; "Let's put a smile on that face."
It seems to down or upset despite the fact Sonic has just saved it!

#28 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:19 AM

Since I was thinking about working on this (but took far too long to get around to it wink.png), maybe I can at least give my thoughts:

The wings look quite different between the two angles. The blue in the eyes is too pronounced. The pupils in the eyes could use a more cartoony shading (less gradienty), and perhaps angled outward a bit rather than straight up and down.

Reference:

Should help to give it a bit more emotion. Just a simple little white "shine" in the eyes is enough really.

They also seem to get a lot smaller in the side on view. Overall, I think the shapes are a bit too similar to the sprite. In some cases I think it's better to use a bit of artistic license in that respect as sometimes the sprites are a little uneven proportionally, so best not to be tied down to them too tightly. Try to think of the eagle in 3D, maybe do a few sketches, just to get a good understanding of what you're aiming for (a bit time consuming I admit, but it can be helpful if you can be bothered). I know the feet are just placeholders, but they could definitely be made more chubby like in the art. They look a bit dangerous at the moment - particularly in the front on frame.

I like the soft and fluffy, feathery look so far though! It's quite pleasant to look at. I'm not sure if you mentioned... but why is the head in the front on frame so dark? The colours are a lot nicer in the side on frames.

I just did a couple of rough sketches (pencil on paper) last night to see if I could get a better idea of what the eagle could look like. I think the screensaver versions of the animals are more appropriate proportionally (cute, chubby, "helpless" :D) for the game, and seeing as the eagle art is not that, I think it could use a bit of adjustment. So I'll see if I can come up with anything that could give it a bit more character.

#29 User is offline Extreme-Giga 

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

After taking a look at what you all of mentioned about the previous image, I had a go at correcting the faults I made, I tried to make it look more friendly, by making the beak less sharp, I also made the feet cartoony if you will. :D
What do you think needs improving? (the side animation is still not complete, I need to work on the body and head.)

#30 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
Extreme-Giga, you've completely completely ignored what Vincent suggested for you:
QUOTE (Vincent @ Apr 8 2010, 07:58 PM)
-Ditch the gradient shading, only manual shading is allowed on Character Art.
-Post your art at the original 4X in-game resolution. (If you use Illustrator scale down to 100% zoom, matching the size of original frame)

You're still using gradients. You're still posting at the wrong size. Please fix these before posting more WIP images.

• 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users