Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Badniks & Bosses - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 39 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Badniks & Bosses Discussion & submission of enemy art

#16 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Mar 24 2010, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Sonuw @ Mar 24 2010, 09:59 AM)
I have made the eyes less south-park-like

Not by much though. In all honesty, you won't be able to escape this as long as you use the concept art eyes, or when shading make them a glossy 3d. Try curving the eyelids, perhaps that would help.

That's what I was thinking. And making the pupils smaller.

#17 User is offline Sonuw 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

• Project:Drawing shit
Better or worse?

#18 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (Sonuw @ Mar 24 2010, 03:56 PM)
Better or worse?

Better, but not quite good. Have you thought about just making the occupant smaller, but just a bit? Like, 5%? I think that would help, and you could make it smaller and more like the original sprite. And I think shading will help the eyes when it comes time.

#19 User is offline Sonuw 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

Alright then, occupant size as been decreased and base has been reduced to previous size. If you didn't want the base size shrink back, then I can fix it real quick.

This post has been edited by Sonuw: 24 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

#20 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hey, that's pretty nice! It's definitely getting better. I quite like the overall proportions now, I think what you could perhaps focus on next is the arm.

Unfortunately everyone seems to have a different take on it...

1. The arm is higher up like yours, but "rounder" and more shapely. The colour matches the sprite.

2. This one's arms bend down and back and then forward (but the forearm overlaps the upper arm). Just like I imagine those in the sprite to.

3. This was my rough interpretation of the official art. With spherical metal shoulder type things for arms (personally I think it makes him look more like a robot).

4. This is the official art (for comparison).

#21 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm glad to see there's a lot of work being done on the Nebula, but the HTZ Spiker is one of the current goals as well. Anyone care to start working on that?

#22 User is offline McGuirk 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

• The Egg-Man Cometh.
  • Project:Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
  • Wiki edits:3
I'm willing to try. I'm no artist, and my free time is limited, so I'm a bad candidate for the job. However, I think I could work some magic on the little guy.

Couple Questions:

1 - The art is considerably different from the sprite. I should focus on the art's design, but make it more similar in proportions to the original sprite, correct? (Note that in the art, the crab claw legs are much longer and more horizontal, and the drill on its head is sectioned in the sprite, but more helix-like akin to an actual drill in the art)

2 - Do the Spiker and Ghora use the same orb for a body, or are they different?

3 - Do I need to make a second version with different shading for the ones on the ceiling?

#23 User is offline Sonuw 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

I've tried it with the metal-like arms, but someone said they looked more like sleeves. Anyway, how's this?

#24 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Sonuw @ Mar 24 2010, 10:59 PM)
I've tried it with the metal-like arms, but someone said they looked more like sleeves. Anyway, how's this?

My biggest concern is that your Nebula is taller than the original, so the hitbox is going to have to be changed to compensate. Given the number of Nebulas in Sky Chase, that could potentially change the entire level.

#25 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:55 AM

That's a good point... Still, after looking at all these new Nebulas, I'm starting to think the original sprite is kind of ugly... It wouldn't be all that different though would it? I mean, I usually jump on top of them (so assuming most people do that - the hitbox shouldn't be too big a deal). The only difference will be that they extend down a bit further. Well it might make it a bit more difficult for them to drop spikey balls on you... But I rarely come across that anyway. Yeah it could make some areas a bit crowded though:

#26 User is offline Redhot 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:30 AM

I hope you're planning on shading this thing more to make it look more like a badnik and less like something out of an episode of South Park.

QUOTE (Sonuw @ Mar 25 2010, 04:59 AM)

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Those arms keep looking more and more like an organic creature's, rather than a robot's... I'd try doing what zemulii suggested.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 25 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

#28 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (Redhot @ Mar 25 2010, 10:30 PM)
I hope you're planning on shading this thing more to make it look more like a badnik and less like something out of an episode of South Park.

Yeah, don't worry he's working on getting the shape and proportions down before he starts shading.

#29 User is offline DistroyA 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

• I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS
  • Project:My own artwork
  • Wiki edits:5
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I personally find the current WIP of Nebula a bit ugly. The cap looks far too big in comparison to the original sprite, it's face is even less visible, and it looks far too stretched out.

I'm not saying it should look like the original, but it should retain some of the qualities of the original. It looks better shaped like an egg than a sphere.

#30 User is offline Kirinja 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

• ATATATATA!
I think that the top part, the "hat", is too big. It looks weird to me. I always pictured the badnik to be more of a semi circle with a lid on, not a perfect circle.
Worthless image to display what I mean a bit:

I just made the "hat" smaller. I would probably make the bottom part a bit smaller as well, but you get the point.

• 39 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users