Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Levels & Items Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 115 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Levels & Items Art —Current goals: Chemical Plant and Aquatic Ruins—

#16 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

The small highlights on the edge of the ground blocks is exactly what it needed to revive the defined shape the original art had. Great stuff!

#17 User is offline Wanderer of the Sky 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (uk_resistant @ Apr 27 2008, 02:14 PM) [post="191181"]Posted Image

On the right are changes I have made, including adding a lower shadow to give volume as well as adding some edges (as these pick up more light). I also highlighted the corners for extar detail.

aisde from the rant, great artwork is being done so keep it up everybody!

cheers[/quote]

I do think it is an improvement, but something still seems a bit off about it... but maybe that's just me ^^;
This post has been edited by Wanderer of the Sky: 27 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

#18 User is offline Blue Streak 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

• Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (uk_resistant @ Apr 27 2008, 02:14 PM) [post="191181"]Posted Image

On the right are changes I have made, including adding a lower shadow to give volume as well as adding some edges (as these pick up more light). I also highlighted the corners for extar detail.

cheers[/quote]

Wanderer, great eye to notice that we should define the blocks better by outlining the edges! This is the kind of contribution that can really make this project look great!

#19 User is offline Wanderer of the Sky 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

View PostBlue Streak, on Apr 27 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

Wanderer, great eye to notice that we should define the blocks better by outlining the edges! This is the kind of contribution that can really make this project look great!
Oh, well I'd say thank you but I think it was Tweaker who actually pointed that one out ^^; I just kinda said that something about it still didn't look quite right. Hehehe, but don't worry, I'll definitely try to keep my eye for detail open so I can offer good advice like Tweaker did =P

Ah, here's something. That second bottom block (from the left) is missing its top, so to speak. It doesn't have that highlighted part so it looks chopped off.

Also, it looks like the grass is still using some sort of gradient =o
This post has been edited by Wanderer of the Sky: 27 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

#20 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Just so we're clear, the flaw that he's pointing out on the block exists in the actual Sonic 2 outwork and layout.

#21 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
The shadow under the grass looks completely wrong.

#22 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

• Wiki edits:27
I can't believe nobody's pointed out that both rings on the neck of the Wasp badnik are actually the same size on the original sprite. It might not seem significant, but this gives the result that in the original sprite, to me at least, it actually looks more like a stumpy, mechanical 'neck' than a 'rings' design as the HD art so far has taken it to be.

It doesn't help that the manual art is drawn from such an angle that you can't really see that area of the badnik, either. = S

#23 User is offline Wanderer of the Sky 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

My major gripe about it is that it doesn't seem cartoony enough, such as the other main art is (Sonic, Tails).

#24 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Really? I don't think it looks robotic enough!

#25 User is offline uk resistant 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Wanderer of the Sky @ Apr 27 2008, 07:21 PM) [post="191186"]Posted Image

cheers[/quote]

I do think it is an improvement, but something still seems a bit off about it... but maybe that's just me ^^;

[/quote]

don't want to be picky but I was the one that actually did the editing of the artwork, so im conufused as to why other people are getting kudos....
This post has been edited by uk_resistant: 27 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

#26 User is offline DiscoKing 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I tried some different looks, would something like this work better?

Posted Image

The perspective might be slightly off and I didn't fix the whole laundry list, just showing the new styles.
This post has been edited by DiscoKing: 27 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

#27 User is offline Wanderer of the Sky 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

View Postuk_resistant, on Apr 27 2008, 03:34 PM, said:

don't want to be picky but I was the one that actually did the editing of the artwork, so im conufused as to why other people are getting kudos....

Ah, I see what happened. When I quoted your post, Blue Streak thought that I had actually made the image. Sorry about that ^^;

And DiscoKing, I think #2 looks really great! The head could use a bit of tweaking though (especially the shine on the eyes). #4 is really good as well.
This post has been edited by Wanderer of the Sky: 27 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

#28 User is offline Exodus 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

• Project:S2HD
I've started working on a Badnik, I think it's called Masher but I am unsure, here is my progress so far. Its extremely rough and unfortunately I only had time to knock it off in fifteen minutes. Tell me what you think
Posted Image

Obviously it is a long way from being finished and needs a lot of work put into it because it doesn't really fit well with the other images produced

#29 User is offline Blue Streak 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

• Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (uk_resistant @ Apr 27 2008, 03:34 PM) [post="191228"]Posted Image

cheers[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

uk_resistant, you are absolutely right, I misquoted in my previous post! I apologize for the mistake and thank you for picking up on it so that we can give credit to those that deserve it. Please continue the good work!

About the masher: clearly it needs a lot more work (as you noted), but it's a start and that's more than we've had so far.

#30 User is offline Wanderer of the Sky 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Nice job with the Masher. I would make its tail a bit more pointy though.

• 115 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users