Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index

#16 User is offline SonicGenesis89 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:05 AM

• Cool! Sweet! And Catchy!
Hello, everyone! I have recently acquired a bunch of Shogakukan books containing stories for Sonic the Hedgehog and I've been really excited to finally show the scans I made of them for everyone! My two friends and I have been recently searching for these old books in order to scan and archive the Sonic stories in them and compile a complete collection of each grade of Shogakukan as well as for the Coro Coro Specials. If anyone is willing to help, we are in need of a translator for the scans, especially for the 4th grade novels. In addition, I have more books on the way and would greatly appreciate any donations to help continue our goal of obtaining the other magazines. (Please Direct Message me if you are interested). There are more scans of the books on the way to look forward to, so definitely be on the lookout for them later on! :)

Third Grade - Chapter 07 - October 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 02 - May 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 04 - July 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 05 - August 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 06 - September 1992

Fifth Grade - Chapter 10 - January 1993
This post has been edited by SonicGenesis89: 27 September 2018 - 06:50 AM

#17 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for scanning all of those SonicGenesis!

Matsubara's art in those Shogaku Yonensei issues is fantastic! This is the first time we've seen his Sonic art. It's surprisingly on model with the Sega designs too.

The May 1992 has what appears to be the very first appearance of Charmy Bee in any of the magazines, predating Sango Morimoto's interpretation of the character.

Posted Image

It's very similar to his Chaotix appearance, but with a different nose and a pilot's jacket. Given how close Matsubara's art is to the recently uncovered concept art, it's probably safe to assume that this version of Charmy is in line with Naoto Ohshima's original design.

Posted Image

Amy in the July 1992 issue is very much in her Sonic CD form - she doesn't have the upwards flick of "hair" like in the manga concept art.

It would be great to see this stuff translated at some point, the story looks pretty wild. What's the deal with the mermaid clock? And the wizard/witch? And the toy soldiers?
This post has been edited by Pengi: 27 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

#18 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostSonicGenesis89, on 27 September 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

Hello, everyone! I have recently acquired a bunch of Shogakukan books containing stories for Sonic the Hedgehog and I've been really excited to finally show the scans I made of them for everyone! My two friends and I have been recently searching for these old books in order to scan and archive the Sonic stories in them and compile a complete collection of each grade of Shogakukan as well as for the Coro Coro Specials. If anyone is willing to help, we are in need of a translator for the scans, especially for the 4th grade novels. In addition, I have more books on the way and would greatly appreciate any donations to help continue our goal of obtaining the other magazines. (Please Direct Message me if you are interested). There are more scans of the books on the way to look forward to, so definitely be on the lookout for them later on! :)

Third Grade - Chapter 07 - October 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 02 - May 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 04 - July 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 05 - August 1992

Fourth Grade - Chapter 06 - September 1992

Fifth Grade - Chapter 10 - January 1993

Wow. Thank you for these, you're amazing.

#19 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
O.. M. . G. . . ! Thanks for the Amazingly awesome saucesome Scans SG89!

#20 User is offline RGX 

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

• Animator
  • Project:Freelance artist for hire.
  • Wiki edits:3
This is great! Looking forward to more scans!

#21 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

Here are some new issues I scanned:

1992.12 Shogaku Yonensei

1993.04 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.06 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.07 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.08 Shogaku Ichinensei

Gekkan Coro Coro Special Summer Vacation 1992

Now, the most interesting issues are the 1992 Shogaku Yonensei issue that has another map version of Hedgehog Island and in a cowboy illustration you see a fox girl named Patty that looks a lot like Tails. There's also a little Sonic 2 section in it. The 1993 Shogaku Ichinensei has a Chaos emerald that comes out in it. And the summer vacation issue has an issue where it shows Eggman might know Nicky is Sonic and also shows that he has his own double identity by being a cop in Hedgehog town.

#22 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for scanning all of those!

There's some pretty interesting stuff here!

Shogaku Yonensei
* The map is gorgeous. It looks like there's a lot of lore there, if anyone wants to take a stab at translating it.
* Patty and Monica - there was absolutely nothing online about either of these characters before! Patty is a fox and clearly based off of Tails, but did she appear in Yonensei before Tails himself did? Monica appears to be a mouse.
* It's usually only the Ichinensei and Ninensei stories that are in color, so this full color bonus segment is a real treat. Sango Morimoto's Amy and Anita (named Tania in the other magazines) were both orangey brown colored, but here Norihiro Matsubara's Tania is pink and Amy is bright yellow!
* And Charmy has tan legs and a green trim on his helmet.
* Eggman's robot lackey is called Omelettes. He shows up in the later stories illustrated by Yoshihiko Ochi, so he must have been a recurring character.
* Eggman is the villain of the main story. Is this the second story arc, or does it tie-in with the craziness of the earlier issues?

Shogaku Ichinensei
* Oddly, Nicky doesn't appear in any of these last few issues. It makes me wonder if he ever appeared in Ichinensei, or if he was phased out?
* Little John has a cameo in the last issue, so that cast was still around.
* Tails' muzzle and tummy fur are correctly colored white. In Sonic the Hedgehog Book and the Sonic 2 Official Guide Book his fur was tan colored (an oddity seen in a lot of early Tails art and merchandise).
* Sango Morimoto's Amy, on the other hand, is still orange-brown, and still as off-model as she was in his earlier issues!

#23 User is offline Ragey 

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

I picked up Shogaku Ichinensei May 1993 recently. Raw scans are on MEGA (pages 137 ~ 140) and compressed ones on my site.

#24 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostRagey, on 01 December 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

I picked up Shogaku Ichinensei May 1993 recently. Raw scans are on MEGA (pages 137 ~ 140) and compressed ones on my site.

Awesome, thank you!
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 01 December 2018 - 04:03 PM

#25 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Great scans as always Ragey! Thanks for posting them!

It's interesting how the Tails era of Ichinensei frequently has Eggman driving a red land-based vehicle. It's like Sango Morimoto saw the Emerald Hill Zone boss and figured that was Eggman's new gimmick.

--

On a related note, scans of a two-part biographical manga on Hayao Nakayama were recently shared on Twitter.

Part 1 thread

Part 2 thread

Their connection to this series? Sonic appears in both parts, and according to the NDL, they were published in the December 1992 and January 1993 issues of Shogaku Sannensei.

#26 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:09 AM

• It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569
There's another one on that Twitter account:

Posted Image

Find me scans, put them on wiki, etc. etc. etc.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users