Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Level 0 - Artwork - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Level 0 - Artwork

#1 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

QUE?!
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 03 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

#2 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

Wow, that new tree graphic is intense! I love it.

#3 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Since the palmtree is still a WIP (and thus it seems to use GHZ's leaves) I made some leaves. Also, edited the pallette for the palmtree's (wood?), there were some useless shades there.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I tried to come up with a geometrical texture, since Sonic's graphics are based over vectorial patterns and shapes, but still add some realism that Sonic 3 & Knuckles' graphics had.

#4 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Very very nice but I'm not certain if the leaves should have scan-lines. It's a bit out of place, but I love the direction this is heading in.

#5 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Rave @ Mar 1 2009, 12:59 PM) [post="285275"]Posted ImagePosted Image

I tried to come up with a geometrical texture, since Sonic's graphics are based over vectorial patterns and shapes, but still add some realism that Sonic 3 & Knuckles' graphics had.[/quote]

Beautiful. You cut down the colors and made enough room for some more greens. It fits the realism that S3&K had but still has a retarded wacky look that the earlier games did. Scanlines seem a little weird but I'm sure we can work something out.

Good job.

Once we have some decent amount of art and a set palette, I'll set up a GAL Database. For now, we have nothing to work with so we have to start somewhere.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 01 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

#6 User is offline PC2 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
Posted Image--->Posted Image--->Posted Image?

Emerald Hill had a lot of funky transparency tricks like this, so why not?

...Please don't spank me for this. D:
This post has been edited by PC2: 01 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

#7 User is offline test-object 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Rave @ Mar 1 2009, 09:59 PM) [post="285275"]Posted ImagePosted Image

I tried to come up with a geometrical texture, since Sonic's graphics are based over vectorial patterns and shapes, but still add some realism that Sonic 3 & Knuckles' graphics had.[/quote]

Dear Rave. You made me jealous, cry myself to sleep and love you at the same time. Please, take my babies and let's share an appartement in Ibiza.

#8 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

• flip the chessboard over
Posted Image
Some tiles I made some minutes ago. I'm not liking them much, so I'll just let them here if someone wants to improve/redo them.

#9 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

• Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Chimpo @ Mar 1 2009, 06:22 PM) [post="285290"]Posted ImagePosted Image

Beautiful. You cut down the colors and made enough room for some more greens. It fits the realism that S3&K had but still has a retarded wacky look that the earlier games did. Scanlines seem a little weird but I'm sure we can work something out.

Good job.

Once we have some decent amount of art and a set palette, I'll set up a GAL Database. For now, we have nothing to work with so we have to start somewhere.
[/quote]
<3
Yeah, I'm starting to see that the scanlines doesn't work as well as I thought they would. I'll figure something else.

QUOTE (PC2 @ Mar 1 2009, 06:44 PM) [post="285299"]Posted Image--->Posted Image--->Posted Image?

...Please don't spank me for this. D:[/quote]
I don't see the reason why do this transparency. EMZ had it because it was some sort of bush, so the pixels were leaves, but in this case?

QUOTE (test-object @ Mar 1 2009, 07:02 PM) [post="285308"]Posted ImagePosted Image

Dear Rave. You made me jealous, cry myself to sleep and love you at the same time. Please, take my babies and let's share an appartement in Ibiza.
[/quote]
<3

QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 1 2009, 08:21 PM) [post="285332"]Posted Image
Some tiles I made some minutes ago. I'm not liking them much, so I'll just let them here if someone wants to improve/redo them.[/quote]
Grass is awesome, but I'm not entirely sure of the concrete part. We need to come up with the rest of the titles to decide that.

#10 User is offline Galaxia 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

• Project:degloving infants
  • Wiki edits:48
QUOTE (PC2 @ Mar 1 2009, 09:44 PM) [post="285299"]Posted Image--->Posted Image--->Posted Image?

...Please don't spank me for this. D:[/quote]

It does look cool actually, if not a bit unrealistic. But hell, this game's about a blue hedgehog collecting rings and jewels so he can defeat a fat guy with a wrecking ball...

#11 User is offline Delta 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

• Wiki edits:47
The scanlines look weird because art on the Genesis used vertical lines for dithering and/or transparency, but never horizontal. This is why things like TV mode on Fusion and 'fast blur' in Gens only blur the image horizontally; to blur together vertical lines.

#12 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 1 2009, 11:21 PM) [post="285332"]Posted Image
Some tiles I made some minutes ago. I'm not liking them much, so I'll just let them here if someone wants to improve/redo them.[/quote]
Although the grass is good im not sure if it fits the tropical style, it could do with being a bit more 'leafy' if you know what I mean, rather than looking neat and well kept.

#13 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 1 2009, 03:21 PM) [post="285332"]Posted Image

The concrete does fit with the art in the concept art, but the grass seems a little eh. You might also want to try mixing the concrete part with the ground part like in the concept to see if it'll look any better.

#14 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I think I see the problem that you have with the grass Chimpo. It seems too mossy, rather than grassy.

#15 User is offline The Pulse 

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

• GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS
  • Wiki edits:2
The palmtree Rave made gave me a palmtree fetish. :O

In fact, the scanlines give me the idea of the project having a television-effects based art style. What with scanlines and "static" textures and whatnot.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users