Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 221 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3301 User is offline Ayu Tsukimiya 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

• UGUU~
They could just put in an option to switch it from JP to US. Or do what Generations did.

#3302 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57

View PostDark Sonic, on 22 February 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Speaking of which, I wonder what the bosses will be like? Will they go for a Sonic 4 remix type thing, just stick to the original battle, or come up with something completely different? We've already seen the GHZ miniboss which has a nice take on the wrecking ball boss, but we haven't seen Robotnik yet.

I think it would be really neat if the mini-bosses were in reference to the original bosses for the classic levels (But not carbon copies), while still allowing new and unique bosses for the Eggman fight.

#3303 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted Yesterday, 08:22 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
I've been staying out of this thread to avoid spoilers, but I was wondering if *theoretically* could Mania be ported to Dreamcast. I'm not asking for it to happen, or expecting it to happen, I was just wondering. I know the engine was built to be easily portable to all manner of systems, but I doubt the Dreamcast's ageing hardware was considered as an option.

Of course, I understand anything is *theoretically* possible, but just curious if it would be relatively easy, or require years of optimisation and down-scaling.

#3304 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View Postdoc eggfan, on Yesterday, 08:22 AM, said:

I've been staying out of this thread to avoid spoilers, but I was wondering if *theoretically* could Mania be ported to Dreamcast. I'm not asking for it to happen, or expecting it to happen, I was just wondering. I know the engine was built to be easily portable to all manner of systems, but I doubt the Dreamcast's ageing hardware was considered as an option.

Of course, I understand anything is *theoretically* possible, but just curious if it would be relatively easy, or require years of optimisation and down-scaling.

Tax has said that the current retro engine uses a bespoke software renderer, which would probably cause problems in the port. The DC isn't built for software rendering, you'll run into some nasty performance problems. Also, if the RetroSDK isn't made to easily change resolutions, the aspect ratio would cause problems - I've been able to output a 16:9 image on the dreamcast by rendering to an anamorphic texture then stretching it to the screen, but for 2D games that looks pretty ugly as you lose horizontal resolution in the process (read: pixels get stretched).

Also, the old Retro Sonic dreamcast build was built using the WinCE libraries, which is really frowned upon in the DC homebrew scene. Tax would have to learn a bit about KOS if he'd want to avoid that scorn.

It'd be certainly cool if it happened, though.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: Yesterday, 08:37 AM

• 221 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users