Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 415 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#6211 User is online UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted Today, 05:54 PM

View PostDr. Corndog, on Today, 04:50 PM, said:

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on Today, 03:39 PM, said:

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on Today, 12:59 PM, said:

Every time I learn more information about Mania....the love being put into it, the obvious high standard of quality, the style the charm....and then the overwhelmingly positive reception by everyone, not just Sonic fans.... It makes me more and more "angry" in Sonic Team's direction. Not "angry" as in its any consequence in my daily life mind you, but rather I wonder why they have not been fired yet.
I've supported this franchise for its entire history, most of my natural life and these clowns are outdone by a ragtag group of programmers who have like a tenth of the resources they do. There is absolutely no excuse for this. If Forces doesn't sell well, they definitely need to be fired but they probably need to go anyway. They do not understand Sonic much at all. They've spent so much time trying to make Sonic something he is not. Mania is like a giant wake up slap to their faces. This is Sonic, morons.

Excuse me, but no. I, as a lifelong consumer of the franchise since 1991 have every right to feel the way that I do and be as loud as I choose about it, given the course of history. I'm as excited as ever for Mania...but why in the world do you go on as if SEGA is entitled to our good faith, when we've been let down time and time again? This mentality is stupid and comments like these need to be thrown away. SEGA and Sonic Team are not entitled to our dollars. Just like every other successful franchise, they earn our trust by first winning us over with fun creative products, and then giving us more of those things. This is always true in the entertainment market. This franchise has been a mess, a laughing stock for more than a decade now and it is because SEGA and Sonic Team did not do their homework properly.

I am extremely happy for Mania but I'm not going to sit here and snuggle up to the idea of SEGA throwing us a bone here. Nor should anyone else. We are the consumers in this relationship. Part of what they do is art and there is always a subjective appreciation component to that, but the bottom line is that this is a business in which nothing is given. And they have allowed the Sonic brand to become a gaming community joke. Sonic, while just an imaginary character for entertainment purposes, is very important to many of us here. I'm comparing the effort of something like Sonic Mania to everything Sonic Team has done over the last decade or so, not just a game or two, and I feel that is justified. It has not been all bad, obviously, with games like Generations and Colors proving to be good moments. I've even predicted for Forces to be an alright experience overall--not the botched tragedy of '06 or Boom in any way. But Sonic has an iconic legacy, especially in the early years, and the standards of output should appropriately match that. In reality, they've had NUMEROUS opportunities to truly nail the form and continue the legacy of a global icon such as Sonic and yet have allowed his reputation to deteriorate in the way it has, continuously. There should be repercussions for this. No, I don't have the right to walk into SEGA HQ and give my list of people who need to be canned or anything like that...but there needs to be a response to not only the obvious, borderline abusive mishandling of this brand...but to the vision and passion of the new, young team members who have quite convincingly proven themselves.

If you don't want to speak up about it, then don't. But its long, long, long overdue. I'm a little peeved now, sure, watching every reveal of a product with the level of quality and passion we've been patiently waiting for 20 years...but I can do the exact same thing in a calm, rational manner as well and be perfectly justified. My tone is not on the list of issues plaguing Sonic Team.

Very few people here are giving Sonic Team a free pass on Forces. I personally won't be spending $60 on it unless it ends up being a lot better than it looks right now. But there's no reason for so much bile.

I just wrote an entire response explaining why there is reason for "bile" as you put it, and why it extends beyond Sonic Forces, simultaneously stating that I'm not singling out Forces but Sonic Team's entire body of work in the modern history of the franchise. I even said I do think Forces will be okay overall...but that should not be an appropriate standard for big title releases in this franchise, given its magnitude and history of huge success. There's nothing too aggressive about my response. Its my opinion and one that I think would be pretty typical of just about every other company given a similar history. I'm not marching the streets raising a banner in protest or anything, and I do spend far more of my time enjoying the things I love about this series and imagining the future possibilities in design. But I definitely have the right to be upset and vent about the long standing sour state of things, given my dedicated participation as a consumer. I don't think I'm being close to overly heavy handed about it. You're free to view the situation however you like, and most days I mind the saying "it is easier to gather flies with honey". I'm allowed my expression without requiring a lesson about it. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have a game like Mania be delivered to us, finally. But I do think this should be a wake up call for the company and a response towards those that have led us to where we stand with Sonic.

Its much more important to me that the Sonic franchise as a whole is finally restored to excellence than for some company heads to roll... but its common sense to realize that this group has had an awful lot of chances to re-establish Sonic's excellence and on the whole they have failed. Nothing personal, I don't hate anyone, but there should probably be some changes in the office... Whatever is necessary to ensure that once again the Sonic brand is trustworthy going forward. For that reason I speak up, on my tiny microphone that may never be heard.

#6212 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 57 minutes ago

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
Man, can't people discuss silly opinions like which specific video games they like without throwing around words like "stupid"?

#6213 User is online UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 15 minutes ago

There are a lot of ways to use the word stupid in a sentence that do not amount to a personal attack. That can't be all of what you'd get out of that post. If you're that taken aback by use of that word in this context, then you should be aware of far worse dangers on the internet. I'm exuberant because I care probably too much about Sonic game related things but we're all practically screened for that before we post here, aren't we? Its okay to feel that way about things that are non-consequential. Most of life is filled with seemingly non-consequential things, if you hadn't had your basic dose of philosophy lately. We love what we love and hopefully we don't hurt anyone in the process.

Again, my criticisms are not personal, here or anywhere else. It seems rather uneventful to call out a company for problems that have been widely known for a long time by just about the entire gaming community. Honestly I need not speak a word; if they haven't heard it internally already, they'll hear it soon enough if Mania actually does match its level of hype. I'm not really rooting against Sonic Team, since I have been rooting strongly for them for the decade plus period that Sonic has been struggling, to finally get things on the right track. However, a fire seriously needs to be lit under an ass here.
This post has been edited by UpCDownCLeftCRightC: 13 minutes ago

• 415 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum