Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic things you used to misremember - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic things you used to misremember Ever thought up some odd things?

#16 User is offline Jase 

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Sonic Adventure 2's "Stage Select 2".
I remember being younger and I did not have much access to the internet. I would get my dad to print cheat codes for me for different games.

Well, I guess he randomly stumbled across this website (Posted 2002) https://megagames.co...nic-adventure-2

Younger me was amazed, a stage select 2, with a password screen?! New characters to play as? Play as a Chao? Play as fat Shadow!?!? Just gotta get all A rank's...

...Oh... I unlocked Green Hill zone?... Disappointment.

Upon learning more over the years and discovering Cheat Engine, I admit I still had some hope that this stuff was available in the game through hacking. But no. When the SA2's model format gets cracked, pls someone make a fat shadow hack and complete my childhood.

lol looking at that website now, I love the hint someone submitted: "Get Knuckles: get knuckles by beating level one".

#17 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

There were threads like this a long time ago. The most agreed upon thing that everyone seemed to misremember is that the ending in Sonic 2 was never colored, but they distinctly remember it being colored when they were a kid.

Edit: Here's one of them, but not the one I remember.
This post has been edited by Dissent: 17 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

#18 User is offline Aquova 

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

• Professional nerd in training

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Oh I have another one. I used to think the cartridge slot on the Saturn was a backwards compatibility slot, but I only thought it would work with Sonic & Knuckles (due to the different cartridge shape). I remember wanting a copy of Sonic & Knuckles so I could test this theory... and was disappointed when I found that it didn't work.

Sure wish the Saturn was backwards compatible, that'd of probably helped Sega a bit back in the day too.

Okay, I have a copy of Ecco: Tides of Time on Sega CD, and on the package is a sticker that says something like "Additional Features on Sega Saturn". I've never had a Saturn, so I've never been able to check, but as far as I know, Sega CD games don't even work, let alone have additional features on a Saturn. It's always mystified me, and I have no idea why that sticker is on there.

#19 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View PostAquova, on 17 October 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Okay, I have a copy of Ecco: Tides of Time on Sega CD, and on the package is a sticker that says something like "Additional Features on Sega Saturn". I've never had a Saturn, so I've never been able to check, but as far as I know, Sega CD games don't even work, let alone have additional features on a Saturn. It's always mystified me, and I have no idea why that sticker is on there.

It could have been like how some old games would advertise extra features if you put them in something you shouldn't naturally put them in.

In this case, I would imagine the "additional features" are just letting you listen to the soundtrack through the Saturn's media player.
This post has been edited by BlackHole: 18 October 2017 - 03:53 AM

#20 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

When I was little I thought Tails was called Miles Prower and that Eggman's name is dr. Ivo Robotnik.

#21 User is offline Roller 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

Young me thought that the mysterious robot in Sonic Heroes' manual was a modern redesign of Grounder, since a long spike was coming out of the head towards the camera and the cape gave him a big, rounded body. I was never able to get the final Chaos Emerald, so I never found out it was Metal Sonic until I became active in online fandom.

Sometimes I wonder whether that would've been a significantly more hilarious game

#22 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

• Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Project:Too many of them

View Postwinterhell, on 18 October 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

When I was little I thought Tails was called Miles Prower and that Eggman's name is dr. Ivo Robotnik.

Since that's true, I don't get the joke. People making the games from Sonic heroes onward should remember this once in a while, though.

#23 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostHedgeHayes, on 18 October 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Since that's true, I don't get the joke. People making the games from Sonic heroes onward should remember this once in a while, though.

The joke is that neither of these things are really the case any more, almost as though what he knew as a child is no longer the case. Robotnik is name-dropped every so often, but Miles Prower never is.

#24 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

Well you can take the Robotnik thing as a pisstake, but Tails actually is named Miles Prower, that's SoJ lore right there.

So apparently I've been wrong on this the whole time. I always thought that strange red flicky in Volcano Valley was some kinda lava bird. Nope, it's the purple flicky with a palette change.

#25 User is offline JohnBoyAdvance 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

My mate thought Mystic Cave Zone's music was the 2P version. He was so convinced he bet £5.

Was there a glitch or anything that caused that to happen?

I keep forgetting Sonic 3's credits are a unique thing. Probably because I played S3K more.
This post has been edited by JohnBoyAdvance: 18 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

#26 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

So yea, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever misremembered things that they could have sworn were true but turned out to be false? Like I could have sworn back in the day that Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 had a 3rd act. I have no idea why I thought that but I thought it for the longest time, especially considering I didn't own Sonic 3 for a while so that thought lingered.

For those curious I thought it started after Knuckles hit the switch at the end of Act 2. Instead of leading to Hydrocity though it lead to a 3rd Act starting at the bottom of the waterfall.

I actually had something very similar to this, where I had long though certain parts of Hydrocity Zone were actually in Angel Island Zone. Probably due to both zones containing underwater sections. So for a short time once I was able to play Sonic 3 regularly (after only being able to rent the game as a kid) I kept looking in AIZ for an underwater tunnel where you were blown by a fan and had to break off poles.

#27 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostBlue Blood, on 18 October 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

The joke is that neither of these things are really the case any more, almost as though what he knew as a child is no longer the case. Robotnik is name-dropped every so often, but Miles Prower never is.

Well, at least it's not explicit retconning, I was fearing that.

#28 User is offline tylerfoxorwhatever 

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

• I don't even know where I'm standing.
  • Project:Sonic Miraculous Adventure
I think that I misremember 2 things from Sonic Adventure DX:

1. Emerald Coast's theme having different, low-pitched notes, particularly near the beginning of the song.

2. When I was watching my siblings playing as Big and they failed to catch Froggy, I recall hearing the unused "Fish miss" theme. I never heard that theme again, so I don't know if it was a glitch or something.

#29 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

I've remembered something I think I was misremembering: Vector floating throught the air with a bubblegum baloon in Chaotix. I was sure he had that as a double-jump ability until recently when I was checking out a couple of things from Chaotix and I didn't find it anywhere.

#30 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostHedgeHayes, on 19 October 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

I've remembered something I think I was misremembering: Vector floating throught the air with a bubblegum baloon in Chaotix. I was sure he had that as a double-jump ability until recently when I was checking out a couple of things from Chaotix and I didn't find it anywhere.

That Bubble thing in Heroes was kinda odd. Like, why does he blow bubbles all the sudden? That being said though it actually did make a return appearance in Sonic Forces Speed Battle. The bubbles are one of Vector's special moves.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users