Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 365 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#5461 User is offline pukulan10jurus 

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for your kind words! They really lifted me up! ;-)

#5462 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View Postpukulan10jurus, on 23 August 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

New question: I want to add ANY kind of options menu to S1.

One option could be to just copy what Sonic 1 does for its Level Select. I did this for my own project, as it was the simplest solution that I could manage at the time. Honestly, I'm not that experienced myself (as I do not really have the time to devote to hacking in general), but I experimented and came across that as a solution even though I barely knew how to even go about making it. Now, I will say that I found it a bit limited/wonky then, because I found myself having to jump around some obstacles and issues to make it work the way I needed it to (though I will admit, due to my aforementioned inexperience, there are probably a lot of problems and inefficiencies I could have avoided).

Concerning this thread (and others), I've personally had some questions go blatantly unanswered. Though I was at first annoyed by this, it drove me to heavily research, seek out, and really learn to do what I wanted to do. As a result, I also figured out a lot more things than I didn't even intended to learn, but became useful later on.

Looking back at previous posts, it seems you've already ported the S2 Level Select to Sonic 1, so you should be familiar with how menus work, right? That's a very solid starting point, if anything.

#5463 User is online Aerosol 

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
This is only tangentially related to hacking, it's really a question of how the games work in a more general sense. I might have a few more questions like this too.

So here goes. The SPG mentions the usage of sin and cos to get proper movement values for moving at diagonals. Do the games use a lookup table for this though? It seems like an excessively slow operation to be doing so often without a lookup table.

I've got one other question right now too. How exactly do the games handle floating point numbers?

#5464 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Yes, there is a lookup table (see CalcSine in the disassemblies), and floating point numbers are handled as fixed-point, for example, Sonic's speed values are stored as a word where the high byte is the whole and the low byte is the fraction, while coordinates are stored as a longword where the high word is the whole and the low word is the fraction.

#5465 User is online Aerosol 

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Oh thats very helpful. You actually answered another question I was soon to have, cheers.

#5466 User is offline KawashiSquirrel 

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

So I managed to import my art into EHZ fairly successfully using SonLVL (thanks for the heads up MainMemory). However, after importing it and building the ROM, several sprites have been affected and look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anybody know what is going wrong here? I simply deleted a couple of chunks and imported one I'd just produced. I haven't messed with sprite behaviour.
This post has been edited by KawashiSquirrel: 25 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

#5467 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Your new art tiles are overflowing into the area of VRAM used by object art. You will either have to move the objects' art to somewhere else in VRAM or more likely remove some of the tiles that you don't need from the level art.

#5468 User is offline KawashiSquirrel 

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostMainMemory, on 25 August 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Your new art tiles are overflowing into the area of VRAM used by object art. You will either have to move the objects' art to somewhere else in VRAM or more likely remove some of the tiles that you don't need from the level art.

Worked a treat. Thanks for your help.

• 365 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users