Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 72 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie It looks fucking awful

#1036 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

View Postdoc eggfan, on 05 January 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Anyone remember "Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game"

Will we see a game adaption of this movie? Maybe an endless runner on mobile phones?

Basically what SOA tried to do in the 90's - shoehorn those gross cartoon redesigns into the main games.

Luckily they only got as far as Sonic Spinball

#1037 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

I just saw Into the Spiderverse and just...why. Why did this film have to be live-action. Why can't it look like that film (I mean, not even in the same art-style, just something as wildly inventive and creative as that film, complete with the same kind of crazy surrealism of classic Sonic zones)? How often are we going to get terrible live-action adaptations of cartoony series before suits just...stop?

#1038 User is offline Jason 

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:29 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
I really hope Spiderverse makes 3D animation in general more inventive. Some of the scenes in the Mania opening came to mind while watching it.

We're getting this movie because Sonic is Dragonball, and Goku drove a car and went to high school while Sonic forgets his socks and drives to San Francisco.

#1039 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

The arcade version is fucking amazing. The console versions are shit.

#1040 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

• Wiki edits:100

View PostJaxTH, on 07 January 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

The arcade version is fucking amazing. The console versions are shit.

Whaat? The arcade version was a mechanical mess doubled down on early-MK jank that had no business being in a SF to begin with, had the NERVE to reimplement STREET FIGHTER 1-STYLE HOLD INPUTS for some specials even though they were discarded for an obvious reason, played slow as heck on MAME for no discernible reason up until Vista-era, and was way too in love with it's own OCs.

The console versions, meanwhile, played on the Super Turbo engine and had a story mode that actually followed the movie it was based on. Sure, that's not a lot going for it, but at least it isn't a mess.

#1041 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
The console version didn't have a random guy shouting "HUUUUURRRGH!" when you started the game though ;)

#1042 User is offline Strife 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2
My favorite thing about the Street Fighter: The Movie arcade game is the fact that you could reverse grabs (Counter), but also reverse grab reversals (Reversal), but also reverse grab reverse reversals (SLAM MASTER). Footage of this insanity is hard to find but here's a short clip of it in motion.

#1043 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostFrostav, on 07 January 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

I just saw Into the Spiderverse and just...why. Why did this film have to be live-action. Why can't it look like that film (I mean, not even in the same art-style, just something as wildly inventive and creative as that film, complete with the same kind of crazy surrealism of classic Sonic zones)? How often are we going to get terrible live-action adaptations of cartoony series before suits just...stop?

Because really talented artists cost allot to hire, and there just isn't the budget to give the Sonic movie the same treatment.

EDIT - Not saying that you can't do allot with a small budget mind, but that it's easier and cheaper to do live action.
This post has been edited by High Fidelity: 08 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

#1044 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Sonic is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. Even my damn parents know who Sonic is. He's basically the sole "Mario Killer" that not merely survived but thrived with a positive legacy in his heyday, and has a legendary cachet so large he's survived multiple games that would have tanked most other series on their own (sure, he's kind of a punching bag now, but he's still on truckin'). I can't name another video game character besides Mario (who IS getting an animated movie--albeit by Illumination, but at least Miyamoto was smart enough to know that Mario doesn't work in live-action) who could have a high-budget animated tie-in movie and actually probably do pretty well. SEGA just don't give a fuck.

#1045 User is offline Thunder Bro 

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

View PostFrostav, on 09 January 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

I can't name another video game character besides Mario (who IS getting an animated movie--albeit by Illumination, but at least Miyamoto was smart enough to know that Mario doesn't work in live-action) who could have a high-budget animated tie-in movie and actually probably do pretty well. SEGA just don't give a fuck.

To be fair, Mario did get a live action movie years ago, and I couldn't possibly see Nintendo allowing it to happen again.

#1046 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Coincidence?

Posted Image

#1047 User is offline Hez 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
One is really good, and the other is a pile of shit.

#1048 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Don't be so harsh, man. I heard Flash was pretty decent.

#1049 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
You're doing it wrong:

#1050 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

• Project:CNC Sculpture/Artwork
I instantly thought of Terminator when I first saw that image. I assumed it was supposed to reflect the moment Sonic arrives from his Universe.

• 72 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users