Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic 2 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 57 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic 2 **Snapshots and new information**

#631 User is offline 360 

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Thanks for the update Hez! Great to hear you're actively still working on this! As for your screenshots I looked at them the other night (also whilst drunk) and the only thing that came to mind was your background might be too noisy and overwhelming. It looks a little too cluttered if that makes sense. I think the foreground is perfect as is and quite colourful and creative. You just need less noise in that background so it looks a little clearer and simpler and therefore more visually pleasing. You're a very talented retro artist though so I'm sure you'll get there in the end. How goes progress on the game overall?

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes but it would be great to know if we're close to a demo and/or release date. Let us know!
This post has been edited by 360: 05 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

#632 User is offline Falk 

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

WHERE IS THE CAKE HEZ-MAN

YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE CAKE

#633 User is offline 360 

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
Ah damn I thought this was an update on the game what with it being three months since this thread was last updated. Any update yet Hez?

#634 User is offline Hez 

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
Generally November - January is a dead time for me. I have three family birthdays including my own in November and Two in December including Christmas. I just picked back up but nothing super exciting. I'll post some screens later after work.

#635 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive

View PostHez, on 13 January 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Generally November - January is a dead time for me. I have three family birthdays including my own in November and Two in December including Christmas. I just picked back up but nothing super exciting. I'll post some screens later after work.

Thanks for responding Hez. New screens would be awesome. I'd definitely be super interested in seeing your progress. I'm sure others would too. And yeah the holiday period is generally downtime for everyone so that's understandable. Glad to hear that you've resumed work on the game now that the new year has kicked off.

Classic 1 remains one of the best fangames I've ever played hence the excitement I have for Classic 2. Looking forward to the screens!
This post has been edited by 360: 13 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

#636 User is offline 360 

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

• Light Vision Overdrive

So how about those screens Hez? Super interested in seeing your progress. I'm sure others are too.

#637 User is offline Hez 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

• Asshole

View Post360, on 23 January 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

So how about those screens Hez? Super interested in seeing your progress. I'm sure others are too.

I don't want to give away many secrets, but here is the unlockable Wood Zone while playing Sonic 2. It's fairly unfinished (not as unfinished as the beta :D). I also enabled Sonic 2 title cards, sprites, and physics (well, as best as I could mimic). In game, you'll be able to unlock Sonic 1-3k Title Cards, sprites, and be able to choose which ones you want to play with.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

May upload Genocide or Rock zone later, but I kind of want to leave some things to surprise :D

#638 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

• Wiki edits:41
I'm loving this version of the Wood Zone, the extra graphics and obstacles, the rocking' theme (original or from another game?). Only nitpick may be to replace the Mushroom Hill platform at the start with original graphics, it sticks out a bit too much.

#639 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

When you say that Wood Zone is unfinished, do you mean graphics as well? The original beta version looked like they never drew the sides of the tree-bark patterned ground, and everybody who's used the graphics for their own Wood Zone interpretation just seem to keep the unfinished ground and just cut the needed shapes out of it, making an odd flat graphic with no depth. Even normally flat-patterned ground had depth on the edges, such as Green Hill Zone's ground.

Anyways, do you intend on making some new graphics for the sides of the ground in this level? Even just applying a gradient to the side edges would look better than a flat image.

Other than the ground's edges, the rest of it looks amazing! I love the idea for the see-saw sawblades, they feel like the type of obstacle that would have been included in the original game. The Mushroom Hill platform does look out of place, but I can see that as a placeholder or something for later on.

#640 User is offline 360 

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:28 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
Amazing work Hez. Extremely promising. I watched the video and it makes me super excited to try the game. Your interpretation of what Wood Zone would have looked like is outstanding. Just amazing, amazing work. As with Classic 1 you're evidently putting an enormous amount of energy and effort into this. Very impressive. Glad you've resumed active work and are making such promising progress. If you're considering uploading a video of Genocide City Zone please do. I'd love to see it.
This post has been edited by 360: 22 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

#641 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I admit I like the idea of saws and blades and industry acting as obstacles in the Wood Zone, like Eggman's forces trying to take down this lovely landscape (the top of the background showing all the trees sawed up from the top arguably also serves as such). Another reference to that whole 'nature vs technology' thing in the early games. I don't think any other recreation of the zone has tried that, which is surprising.

I also appreciate you didn't just do rows and rows of those teeny little blocks as the majority of the pathway like some others do.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 23 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

#642 User is offline Hez 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

• Asshole
I'd also like to incorporate ponds and maybe some industrial equipment. still toying with that. Again, it is just a secret level to find while playing through in Sonic 2 mode.

Also not 100 percent sure if I'm going to put Hidden Palace in it, as that's been done quite well already.

#643 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Ponds? A water level then?

Ah maybe like digger or bulldozer type machinery as platforms and obstacles and such you mean? Maybe also some 'wood cutter' badniks akin the MHZ mini boss (I once had this idea of a 'lumberjack' badnik that clung to trees and similarly cut and lobbed chips of wood at you, something like that could likely be modified from the Coconuts badnik actually).

Whatever is planned, what we've seen so far is great considering it's just an extra for the project.

#644 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

• Keep your eyes on the stars... You'll never be one!
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Looking great Hez, I like what you did with the background and I'm looking forward to seeing what other graphical tweaks you make. Another Hidden Palace rendition would be nice, it would feel weird having the rest of the missing levels there and not that one, but it's your game after all.

#645 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

I suppose if you did add Hidden Palace you could try just replicating the level like for the other final ones. I don't know if you'd want to go through the trouble replicating all the new features for an extra, but I could see it adding a boost in appeal to your project making the remake's new level accessible to non mobile gamers.

• 57 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users