Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast

#121 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

• tails is still a girl
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
That's disappointing but not a dealbreaker for me, seeing as how I've only ever had first-gen US Saturn pads anyway. You can't miss what you've never had. :') Maybe they'll fix the next batch if enough people bitch at them about it.

I'm glad they seem to be turning out solid otherwise. But I personally still need to hear opinions on these from real people, not just gamer media shills.disregard, didnt bother clicking iceknight's link initially lmao. im too jaded from all this youtuber shit
This post has been edited by LordOfSquad: 12 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

#122 User is offline Josh 

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

• TGC Warrior

Shoulder trigger (LR) buttons: Ah yes: our first real, noticeable difference from the originals (well, third if you count the cable length and the logos on the back). However, whereas the cable length and logos were inconsequential, the shoulder buttons are much more important. Here's the deal: They click much softer than the originals, both in terms of contact noise as well as up/down movement and rebound when the triggers are depressed. The originals felt and sounded just like a mid-90s mouse click would – crisp and satisfying. The Retro-bit controllers’ L and R buttons click softly. As a 20+ year Saturn gamer, I immediately felt the difference – the clicks were quieter and less crisp, so initially I wasn't sure if I had actually clicked them, at least from a tactile perspective. I spent a long time testing the shoulder buttons, using games like Panzer Dragoon (lots of shifting to change your perspective), Virtua Cop (have to hold one of the triggers down to increase your reticle speed), and Tomb Raider (L slows Lara down to a walk; R initiates the somersault). In terms of performance, there were no issues. I tried pressing the keys from different angles and tried resting my fingers in various positions on the triggers, and perhaps surprisingly considering how softly they click, performance was unaffected. I never once had a click that did not register as an action on-screen. One other nuance of the shoulder buttons is that there is a very slight hesitation before a shoulder key returns from a depress. Again, no impact on on-screen performance, but if you are used to the crisp clicks of the originals, this will be confusing at first. Overall impression of the shoulders: 6/10. Not a deal-breaker because on-screen performance appears unaffected, but the tactile and auditory sensations are definitely different.

So, I recently bought another Saturn (the internal battery compartment broke in my original a long time ago), and it came with a gray Saturn controller that seemed to be in pristine condition. However, on actually playing games with it, the start button takes a lot of force to activate, and more relevantly, the L/R buttons are soft, as described here.

I may well have a knockoff (though it feels solid otherwise and looks the part), but this wasn't just a regional difference between Japanese Saturn pads and the rest of the world, was it?

#123 User is offline Hez 

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I have the wireless genesis controllers. They're amazing.

EDIT: nevermind, they're the 8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepads
This post has been edited by Hez: 13 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

#124 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

• Project:3D Indie Stuff
I already made a thread for it, but I should point out that the RetroFighters BrawlerGen Genesis/Saturn 2-in-1 controller is gonna be a thing for folks who are interested in a Genesis/Saturn-style controller with a more modern format, though in this case it's an entirely authentic third-party controller so you'll need a USB adaptor for it.

View PostHez, on 13 March 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

The 8bitdo M30 pad is apparently fantastic from what I'm hearing, 8bitdo supposedly nailed the d-pad inputs this time.

#125 User is offline Hez 

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostCandescence, on 13 March 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

I already made a thread for it, but I should point out that the RetroFighters BrawlerGen Genesis/Saturn 2-in-1 controller is gonna be a thing for folks who are interested in a Genesis/Saturn-style controller with a more modern format, though in this case it's an entirely authentic third-party controller so you'll need a USB adaptor for it.

View PostHez, on 13 March 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

The 8bitdo M30 pad is apparently fantastic from what I'm hearing, 8bitdo supposedly nailed the d-pad inputs this time.

Oh they nailed it indeed. LOVE this controller.

#126 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

• tails is still a girl
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
Glad to hear they're finally wising up. Retrobit's got my money this round, though.

#127 User is offline mentski 

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View PostJosh, on 13 March 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

So, I recently bought another Saturn (the internal battery compartment broke in my original a long time ago), and it came with a gray Saturn controller that seemed to be in pristine condition. However, on actually playing games with it, the start button takes a lot of force to activate, and more relevantly, the L/R buttons are soft, as described here.

I may well have a knockoff (though it feels solid otherwise and looks the part), but this wasn't just a regional difference between Japanese Saturn pads and the rest of the world, was it?

Japanese grey/blue Saturn controllers definitely have a click to them, at least initially, and tend to get softer over time due to wear and tear. One of mine is noticeably clickier than the other due to it being the one that was always plugged in to the P1 port.

#128 User is offline King 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:38 AM

View PostHez, on 14 March 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Agreed. The M30 is great and the D-pad feels like an original controller.

#129 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN

View PostKing, on 16 March 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

View PostHez, on 14 March 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Agreed. The M30 is great and the D-pad feels like an original controller.

Thirded. Bought one today and it's fantastic.

#130 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Is this thread morphing into a Retrofighters thread.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 17 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

#131 User is offline Biofrost 

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

• Environment artist at Sony Bend
  • Project:Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
Fantastic controller but cant get it to work with Sonic Mania on PC. Just doesn't detect it, might have to just use joy2key but no big deal!
This post has been edited by Biofrost: 19 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

#132 User is offline Jason 

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Did you get sent review units? I'd be surprised if the USB versions don't have X-Input.

#133 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN

View PostBiofrost, on 19 March 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Fantastic controller but cant get it to work with Sonic Mania on PC. Just doesn't detect it, might have to just use joy2key but no big deal!

Which pad do you have? If it's the 8BitDo M30, are you making sure to press X + Start before syncing to put the pad into Xinput mode? Doing this syncs my one to my Win10 laptop absolutely fine, with no additional steps to get it to play nice with Mania.

View PostJason, on 19 March 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

Did you get sent review units? I'd be surprised if the USB versions don't have X-Input.

Personally speaking, I bought my M30 (not the Retro-bit Mega Drive/Genesis or Saturn pads this thread is meant for - though I do believe only review units of these are out in the wilds currently) at the London Gaming Market on Sunday, was surprised to see the pad in the UK wilds, so it was a must. Not disappointed one bit.
This post has been edited by Neowl: 20 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

#134 User is offline Biofrost 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

• Environment artist at Sony Bend
  • Project:Env artist on Days Gone for ps4

View PostNeowl, on 19 March 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Which pad do you have? If it's the 8BitDo M30, are you making sure to press X + Start before syncing to put the pad into Xinput mode? Doing this syncs my one to my Win10 laptop absolutely fine, with no additional steps to get it to play nice with Mania.

Thanks! That did it, I don't have the 8bitDo but the Retrobit genesis controller seems to have a similar mode. Worked like a charm afterwards!
This post has been edited by Biofrost: 20 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

• 9 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users