Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 36 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#526 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...
Wikipedia says that the VCD was pretty common in some Asian countries (excluding Japan and South Korea)... this means that it might exist Chinese, Taiwanese, and the like versions? Great discovery ... I didn't know that the VCD was so popular there ...

#527 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Video CD is hugely popular in Asia - it's why extremely cheap pirate DVDs play in horrible resolutions and are usually divided into two or three parts for seemingly no reason (the true reason being full length movies usually required 2 VCDs)

The confusing bit is when you realise Philips started marketing the format after the failure of the completely unrelated "CD Video". With the same logo. And two thirds of CD Video discs are actually rebadged LaserDiscs.

#528 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Just gonna leave this here since we're talking about it:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=6u2j1Q8uCgQ

#529 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 02 February 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

Video CD is hugely popular in Asia - it's why extremely cheap pirate DVDs play in horrible resolutions and are usually divided into two or three parts for seemingly no reason (the true reason being full length movies usually required 2 VCDs)

The confusing bit is when you realise Philips started marketing the format after the failure of the completely unrelated "CD Video". With the same logo. And two thirds of CD Video discs are actually rebadged LaserDiscs.

View PostJaxTH, on 02 February 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Just gonna leave this here since we're talking about it:

Thanks guys... very informative... is always good the learn something... ... these were not very common in Portugal... they existed but were so expensive and no one really cared about them that much... technology was not easily affordable for the Portuguese "working class hero'', back then ... I mean... it was not unreachable... but you had to economize your money well, in order to buy some things... I will use the Mega Drive/Genesis as an example... when it was released here it costed 49.990$00 Escudos my Dad's salary was 70.000$00 Escudos a month... Virtua Racing was released at a price of 20.000$00 Escudos... I guess I said it all... sorry for being off topic guys... I just had a ''flashback''...

#530 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Posted Image

According to Sega, there was a need for both UK and "EX" versions of Yakuza 4, as well as many other games across the PlayStation, Xbox and PC. The BBFC rating is an obvious difference in this case, but often it's just a couple of codes and some slight logo re-jigging. EX versions dictate the game is in English, but isn't meant to be sold in the UK. I've no idea what these territories actually are.

You know, they say the Yakuza series doesn't sell well, but I count 25 different variants of this game identified so far.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 23 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

#531 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

My bet is that they are aimed to Scandinavian markets... however even in the Mega Drive, and Playstation One Eras, similar copies could be found in Portugal (and probably in other European countries too)... normally the text featured in the back of the boxes was in English and sometimes also had text in Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish)... you obviously know all of this stuff ... I'm just giving my opinion...

#532 User is online doc eggfan 

Posted Today, 07:04 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Posted Image

Does your answer lie here?

#533 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted Today, 08:52 AM

I don't think they're aimed at any specific market - I've seen them in Scandinavia (or more specifically, Sweden) but also in the Benelux region. Wouldn't be surprised if some were sold in Ireland either.

I think it's more of a fallback for when it's not worth giving a country a localised cover, but I could be wrong about that.

Quickstarts are probably a different thing - we've got UK covers with Swedish/Finnish quickstarts. They tend to exist when BBFC ratings don't.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: Today, 08:54 AM

#534 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 42 minutes ago

In that case... you might be right... i just wonder what "EX" means (INL-01081-EX) ...

• 36 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Wiki Sysop: Black Squirrel