don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
  2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    The reason why I haven't ripped any DAC out of GEMS games yet is because I was planning on documenting the locations of the data in every GEMS game one day. It's actually really trivial since the GEMS initialization routine takes the pointers to everything, so all I would need to know is the size of the item on the list closest to the end of the ROM (assuming it's all contiguous, that is).

3. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Rings are obj25. In Sonic 1, rings are treated the same way as any other object, so by disabling obj25 you'll remove all rings. However, Sonic 2 treats rings as a special case and normally doesn't use obj25. Instead, rings are handled by the RingsManager routine, so you need to stop this from running.

If you're using SonEd2, that means you're using a split disassembly. So, to make changes to the code, you just need to open "s2.asm" in a text editor, do a search for the thing you want (in this case, "RingsManager"), make the change and then save and build. If you don't know how to code in ASM, don't worry, as you'll be able to get by with just two things!

First, a semicolon ";" means a comment, so place this in front of individual lines to prevent them from executing. Secondly, "rts" means "return from subroutine", so place this within a block of code to stop anything below it executing. In your case, you want to type it just below the "RingsManger:" label, so that any time it tries to run it immediately exits again.

4. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    This is pretty glitchy - the explosions are random letters and the flickies are letters as well. Also, I paused it and the game froze.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Sonic 2 Secret Rings Control, a port of SatSR's controls to S2.
    Tails is disabled, 2P is disabled, the level select screen always appears when starting the game.

Controls:
    Press nothing to move forward
    Press the opposite direction to walk backwards
    Press C to jump
    Press C while jumping to do a homing attack or jump dash
    Jump while holding back to hop backwards, but this leaves you vulnerable
    Hold B to stop
    Press B in the air to do a jump cancel (stop moving forwards and shoot down)
    Hold B or back while in the air to not move forwards
    Hold A to perform Speed Break, draining your rings and making you invincible
    Sonic will turn around when he hits: a spring, a CPZ booster, or the bouncy walls in Metropolis.

6. Gave this a try and it's certainly interesting. Managed to get through all of Emerald Hill and then got stuck in the first act of Chemical Plant thanks to not being able to go the other direction. Still, it's pretty fun, good work!

7. MainMemory, I am determined to beat each zone in this manner! I love a good challenge.

EDIT: Case in point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Updated with fixed homing attack, now targets badniks, monitors, bosses, springs, signpost, breakable block, bumpers.

9. This reminds me: the Sonic 2 Secret Rings Edition should have a challenge called "Hold Right to Win". This playability should be included in that game ALONG WITH THAT CHALLENGE.

The legitimate "Hold Right to Win" challenge was just made by MainMemory. We just need to implement this as a challenge mode in Sonic 2 Secret Rings Edition and voilá (is this how this word is written?).

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, I'd pretty much have to make two versions of each of Sonic's movement routines, but I could probably do it.

11. Well, they challenged you to put this challenge in that hack once. And it seems you've finally reached the feat with this hack.

12. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    This is kind of fun. Boss fights are crazy, and SCZ.

Bug: At the shield monitor near the start of MCZ1 (after breaking it), if you jump and do a homing attack Sonic gets pushed through the ground, or if you jump and do a Speed Break Sonic falls through the ground. It happens all over but this is a convenient place to test both problems.

Bug: If you Speed Break into the lava at the HTZ boss, you'll get hit and instantly drop rings, even though you were invincible, and if you had a shield you lose your rings and the shield at the same time.

Bug: The background layer has trouble keeping up with Sonic when he's using Speed Break. I'll reach the end of ARZ1 and then the leaves scroll in later. Intentional?

13. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    While it is a nice idea to home into such objects, it seems to suffer the same issue that I came across when homing into such objects. If you are at the wrong height compared to the object, you might home into the side of a spring or block. I suppose the code could be altered in those objects themselves to check for homing attack, though.

Nice concept for a hack, however. It makes for a good challenge.

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    This happens in the original all the time if you're a speedrunner.

15. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Oh, I guess I'm not, but I couldn't see it happen from running at red spring speed through the second part of ARZ1 in the original. Maybe it has to do with maintaining that speed over a longer time period, which this hack makes easy to do. Never mind on that one.

16. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Is it actually possible to pass every act without the use of glitches? I can't figure out how to get past CPZ Act 2 (although the screenshot on the last page suggests that one is possible), and I only got through MCZ1 thanks to a very lucky jump onto the top of a closed bridge-wall thingy, and spindashed through.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    That's why jump cancel works even during a homing attack.

And yes, speed break is very buggy, mostly because you move very fast, but I'm not sure why it allows you to fall through floors.

And I've never been able to beat CPZ2 either. I would have liked an object like a path swapper that I could place when you need to turn around and a spring won't work, but I know nothing about programming new objects.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Am I supposed to be able to perform the spin dash?
    [​IMG]
    (ffff, I kept Gens's window in the screenshot to show that this is the "secret rings control" version and not regular Sonic 2, but it was truncated)

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Alright, let me try again then:
    [​IMG]
    If you enter a CPZ tube while using the dash move thing, the stars will stay with you as long as you are in the tube. Rings aren't depleted though.