Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Worlds [W.I.P] - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Worlds [W.I.P] A Mashup of the Sonic Worlds engine and elements of Sonic Mania.

#1 User is offline Creepario 

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 29-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lower Saxony, Germany
  • Project:Beastroids, Bingo The Multiva (Spriting Support)
Sonic Mania Worlds
A Mashup of the Sonic Worlds Delta engine and elements of Sonic Mania.

Playable Characters
The characters are already included in the engine itself. Playable will be:
- Sonic
- Tails
- Knuckles

Unlike in the Studiopolis fangame of yesmen10 i don't intend on making it able for the player to play as Amy or Shadow.

Planned Features
- Drop Dash move (for Sonic).
- Rotating Bumper (for Studiopolis).
- Hornet (for Studiopolis).
- Updated sprites from Sonic Mania.

Planned Stages
- Test Stage Act 1 (modified with Sonic Mania assets) (already included in the engine)
- Studiopolis Act 1 (a rebuild of the stage)

Screenshots
will follow.

Videos
will follow.

Still looking for people who would support by charing sprite rips of some assets. I'm willing to name them in possible Credits.
This post has been edited by Creepario: 03 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

#2 User is offline HorriblePerson 

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

  • Tired, bored, and just needs a break for once...
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 23-March 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hell
  • Project:(See "Projects" section at my wiki page)
Please tell me the Studiopolis art there isn't stretched like in YESMEN's game.

To be honest though, I don't see why you're doing this now. The game isn't even released and yet you're already doing something which seems like a modified version of the Sonic Worlds engine. Why are you even making this, though? There's already the Studiopolis fan game, and it's not like making a drop dash is hard or anything. I don't see the point in making an engine of what is basically just Sonic Worlds recolored.

Anyways, I don't see why you're doing this, and why would anyone want to use this for their own game. It's just Sonic Worlds, anyone can just take the Studiopolis art and dump it into regular Sonic Worlds, so making a whole engine of it seems pointless. Though this doesn't look bad (at least from what I'm seeing from these screenshots, in fact it already looks miles better than the Studiopolis fan game, which imo, it was pretty shitty), but I'd rather see an actual engine instead of the same thing except with new graphics and 1 new level.

#3 User is offline Creepario 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:40 AM

  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 29-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lower Saxony, Germany
  • Project:Beastroids, Bingo The Multiva (Spriting Support)

View PostHorriblePerson, on 19 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

Please tell me the Studiopolis art there isn't stretched like in YESMEN's game.

To be honest though, I don't see why you're doing this now. The game isn't even released and yet you're already doing something which seems like a modified version of the Sonic Worlds engine. Why are you even making this, though? There's already the Studiopolis fan game, and it's not like making a drop dash is hard or anything. I don't see the point in making an engine of what is basically just Sonic Worlds recolored.

Anyways, I don't see why you're doing this, and why would anyone want to use this for their own game. It's just Sonic Worlds, anyone can just take the Studiopolis art and dump it into regular Sonic Worlds, so making a whole engine of it seems pointless. Though this doesn't look bad (at least from what I'm seeing from these screenshots, in fact it already looks miles better than the Studiopolis fan game, which imo, it was pretty shitty), but I'd rather see an actual engine instead of the same thing except with new graphics and 1 new level.

It was started work on it because of how many things of the Studiopolis fangame could have been much better like graphics and some coding.

Also besides some major differences Sonic Worlds is a engine for me similar enough to Sonic Mania, making another complete engine for it is kinda not needed, but that could only be my opinion.

If most people here would agree you on that point, then i should stop working on it, i would then take more time on other things.

#4 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

  • wikiman
  • Posts: 3614
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I think it's entertaining, although I would seriously suggest waiting a few months, rather than painstakingly trying to clean up YouTube video just to get the graphics.

#5 User is offline Creepario 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 29-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lower Saxony, Germany
  • Project:Beastroids, Bingo The Multiva (Spriting Support)

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 20 November 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

I think it's entertaining, although I would seriously suggest waiting a few months, rather than painstakingly trying to clean up YouTube video just to get the graphics.

I guess i agree on that point. Only one video on youtube makes good sprite ripping possible, and even after that it needs touchup.

#6 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

  • Posts: 1035
  • Joined: 16-October 10
  • Gender:Male
I've seen console emulators working before the console's release and even playing leaked games on emulator before the release, but making a fangame/remake of a soon to be released title is bizarre.

#7 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

  • A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: 27-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Land of Waldos
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
I don't normally discourage fangames, but yesmen10's SAGE submission was controversial and generally frowned upon. Even if you can do a better job, I would still advise against making this and encourage you to try something else.
This post has been edited by Mr Lange: 20 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

#8 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

  • Posts: 2822
  • Joined: 27-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
I'm in the "seems better to wait until Spring 17 to do clean rips if the graphics" boat.

At the same time, Mania should be used as inspiration to new ideas, not vanilla knock-offs of the actual thing.

#9 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 260
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Please not another fake Mania wannabe...
Why can't you guys wait till 2017 for the REAL Mania game.

#10 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

  • Posts: 9927
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostDarkVDee, on 20 November 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

Please not another fake Mania wannabe...
Why can't you guys wait till 2017 for the REAL Mania game.

Because this is the game we've wanted since Sonic 3K :specialed:

But no, shared sentiments. Don't quite see the point, but this really makes me wish that pre-release demos were still a more common thing.

#11 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1392
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
Because sometimes you get really excited for an upcoming game and like to make games, so the two elements combine.

I've been there (unfortunately)

#12 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

  • Posts: 9927
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 21 November 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Because sometimes you get really excited for an upcoming game and like to make games, so the two elements combine.

I've been there (unfortunately)

That gets a pass I'd say as it's a different interpretation of a game, not a direct rip off.

#13 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 3707
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9
All the negativity in this topic is surprising. Why would somebody do this? Because they can.

This isn't all that different from when people made Hidden Palace Zone klik-n-kreate fangames, except now that the tools in use are better.

#14 User is offline Creepario 

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 29-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lower Saxony, Germany
  • Project:Beastroids, Bingo The Multiva (Spriting Support)

View PostCooljerk, on 21 November 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

All the negativity in this topic is surprising. Why would somebody do this? Because they can.

This isn't all that different from when people made Hidden Palace Zone klik-n-kreate fangames, except now that the tools in use are better.

(Sorry for that late responce) One of the main reasons of starting that project is that i kinda wanted to show that a Sonic Mania fangame can be done better than yesmen10's version. Also the fact that i am actually more experienced with Clickteam Fusion/Sonic Worlds. Still unsure if i really should continue that because if no one really would like it/give me a chance.

#15 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

  • Posts: 1035
  • Joined: 16-October 10
  • Gender:Male
I believe a good measure for a fan game is- do YOU yourself want to play it over the official and unofficial alternatives?
If you are not looking forward to it then maybe you are doing it just as an exercise or to challenge yourself?

Please don't decide if you should make it by the number of people that are going to play the game, it is the wrong attitude for a hobby project.

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users