Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic The Hedgehog: Haven Home World - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic The Hedgehog: Haven Home World A Sonic Tribute Fan Game

#31 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View PostSparks, on 01 October 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

I can understand it easily since I have a system that's twice as complicated. :v:/>/> it's good to see someone else realizing that there can be a greater benefit to exploring upper and lower paths in levels besides time attack.

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 02 October 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostDarkVDee, on 01 October 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

*awesome concept*

Really happy that you are doing this! Ever since I noticed the multiple signposts in SYZ2, I've wanted to see this done in one way or another. I'm honestly even more excited for this project now.

Glad you guys like the idea, I had this concept idea since 2014. The only reason is that I made too many zones ideas for the past few years and decided to shove it all in the game rather than DLC style them. I always like the idea pf having two different goal post like SYz2 (S1) and CCz2 (CD). But the only setback is that the sister zone will reuse the boss battle from the normal zone (I mean can you imagine? I have to double the ideas for coming up for the boss fight! It's suicide).
Also to clarified something, these will NOT be exclusive zones to certain playable characters, it will be accessed to all, I never like the idea of making exclusive zones for that one or two particular character/s .

#32 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostDarkVDee, on 02 October 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

I can understand it easily since I have a system that's twice as complicated. :v:/>/>/> it's good to see someone else realizing that there can be a greater benefit to exploring upper and lower paths in levels besides time attack.

*awesome concept*

Really happy that you are doing this! Ever since I noticed the multiple signposts in SYZ2, I've wanted to see this done in one way or another. I'm honestly even more excited for this project now.

Glad you guys like the idea, I had this concept idea since 2014. The only reason is that I made too many zones ideas for the past few years and decided to shove it all in the game rather than DLC style them. I always like the idea pf having two different goal post like SYz2 (S1) and CCz2 (CD). But the only setback is that the sister zone will reuse the boss battle from the normal zone (I mean can you imagine? I have to double the ideas for coming up for the boss fight! It's suicide).

You could have the same boss battle, but with different stage effects (i.e. R2A's would be on dry land while 2B's version would have some shallow water and maybe some platforms).

#33 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:26 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
You could always take inspiration from how Knuckles' routes in Sonic 3 were treated but expand it to full acts.

(I don't know if you have bosses for these Rounds already, but using them as examples)
For example, lets say R2A Prism Palace is difficult, but short and has no boss, while R2B Radiant Rainbowfall is an average stage, but has a tough boss. Players could choose to take the harder, shorter stage with no boss, or go to a longer, normal stage with a boss.

#34 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

• Vampire Pixel Artist

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 02 October 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

View PostDarkVDee, on 02 October 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

I can understand it easily since I have a system that's twice as complicated. :v:/>/>/>/> it's good to see someone else realizing that there can be a greater benefit to exploring upper and lower paths in levels besides time attack.

*awesome concept*

You could have the same boss battle, but with different stage effects (i.e. R2A's would be on dry land while 2B's version would have some shallow water and maybe some platforms).

I like that idea for R2. This I will definitely give that a try.

View PostSparks, on 03 October 2016 - 12:26 AM, said:

You could always take inspiration from how Knuckles' routes in Sonic 3 were treated but expand it to full acts.

(I don't know if you have bosses for these Rounds already, but using them as examples)
For example, lets say R2A Prism Palace is difficult, but short and has no boss, while R2B Radiant Rainbowfall is an average stage, but has a tough boss. Players could choose to take the harder, shorter stage with no boss, or go to a longer, normal stage with a boss.

Maybe. It wouldn't be fun without a boss fight in each zone. There will be no short stage acts by the way, that's another thing I didn't like, so expect some long and fun exploration.

#35 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
The SAGExpo 2016 demo has been SENT! Better late now then never.
I will see you all at the expo : 3

When the day of SAGExpo 2016 begins, I will update the first page with the playable demo.

See you all on the 15th!

#36 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
Just letting everyone a heads up on my demo for SAGE, there's some small bugs like the check point not working and lagging on the framerates too, but me and my small team are working around to fix up everything we can. The zone is SUPER duper long as hell, lmao (I blame my friend on that) and we will shortent the zone. One last thing, some part of the area are blocked off (you'll see what I mean, lol), the zone is still under contrustion. There will be a better demo build soon, possibly after SAGE when the events are over, so disregard the last message I'd posted the other day.
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 13 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

#37 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Looks good man keep it up

#38 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

• Project:Sonic Time Twisted Creator
  • Wiki edits:236

View PostDarkVDee, on 13 October 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Just letting everyone a heads up on my demo for SAGE, there's some small bugs like the check point not working and lagging on the framerates too, but me and my small team are working around to fix up everything we can. The zone is SUPER duper long as hell, lmao (I blame my friend on that) and we will shortent the zone. One last thing, some part of the area are blocked off (you'll see what I mean, lol), the zone is still under contrustion. There will be a better demo build soon, possibly after SAGE when the events are over, so disregard the last message I'd posted the other day.

Are you sure its the size of your zone and not amount/size of your graphic tiles? Reason I ask is I've seen this issue before in my own game Sonic Time Twisted and other fan games like Sonic Zero Remastered. Levels get laid out using tons of different bitmap tiles that are basically copies of the same graphic. It costs a lot of memory and really slows down the games. To fix this this I had to go back and compressed/limited each stage's tiles to fit on two 2048x2048 sheets per level, that significantly reduced the amount of memory required for game visuals and the game runs much smoother for it.

Maybe your not doing that though in which case nevermind. I just saw your post and was reminded of when I had to spend the better part of two months compressing level tiles. Don't want anyone else to make that mistake!

#39 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist

View PostOverbound, on 13 October 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

Are you sure its the size of your zone and not amount/size of your graphic tiles? Reason I ask is I've seen this issue before in my own game Sonic Time Twisted and other fan games like Sonic Zero Remastered. Levels get laid out using tons of different bitmap tiles that are basically copies of the same graphic. It costs a lot of memory and really slows down the games. To fix this this I had to go back and compressed/limited each stage's tiles to fit on two 2048x2048 sheets per level, that significantly reduced the amount of memory required for game visuals and the game runs much smoother for it.

Maybe your not doing that though in which case nevermind. I just saw your post and was reminded of when I had to spend the better part of two months compressing level tiles. Don't want anyone else to make that mistake!

It is the size of the zone and some other stuff, the graphics were never the problem to begin with in the first place since the beginning of the development.

#40 User is offline Hez 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostDarkVDee, on 13 October 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

It is the size of the zone and some other stuff, the graphics were never the problem to begin with in the first place since the beginning of the development.

I've ran into this issue quite a bit. If you end up having two many large level frames you will eventually have to split the game up. I've ran into this issue and know a way to resolve it, although I wish there was an alternative. I've searched and searched and to no avail.

Looking as to how many levels you plan on having, watch out for the "out of memory" bug in fusion. It's mighty frustrating.

#41 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist

View PostHez, on 13 October 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostDarkVDee, on 13 October 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

I've ran into this issue quite a bit. If you end up having two many large level frames you will eventually have to split the game up. I've ran into this issue and know a way to resolve it, although I wish there was an alternative. I've searched and searched and to no avail.

Looking as to how many levels you plan on having, watch out for the "out of memory" bug in fusion. It's mighty frustrating.

I thank you for sharing that to my small team and I, we will take more measurements on my game. Again
Thank you sir

#42 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
[Discord server close]
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 29 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

#43 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
Hi everyone. Since this is the last day of SAGExpo event, I decided to upload two special old beta demos of Haven Home World.
I will also updated the first page of this topic
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BETA BUILD with Debug Mode

To use Debug mode, press H to activate it. Press S to use it (press it again to get out of it), A to select and D to place it

Sonic Haven Home World [Debug Mode Test]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This demo build is version 0.95 with the first old layouts before it got scrap.

Sonic Haven Home World Beta Ver. 0.95

#44 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Did a video of the demo on Youtube!

Sonic: Haven Homeworld - SAGE 2016

Posted Image

#45 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
I saw the video and sorry I went crazy on the badniks. I'll tone it down this next build that coming soon.
And dear lord you've BARELY made it out of the water towards the end.
Thank you for playing.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users