Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: [Unreal Engine 4] Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

[Unreal Engine 4] Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered

#16 User is offline meinukey 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 19 April 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Not convinced with the lighting of the special stage (the fact that there's a light source means you can work out where you are on the map (!!)), but it's certainly nice to see a Sonic 3 special stage rendered in 3D.

Super duper number one top tip - 3/4 view > profile. Now I admit it's tricky to pull off this effect in 3D, but that was the first thing that stood out to me - it doesn't look anything like Sonic 3.

This whole idea is very ambitious but it's certainly a neat little project.

The light source is not stationary. It's attached to the sky, which is a giant sphere that rotates in the opposite direction of Sonic's movement to achieve the same scrolling effect in the original game, since he actually moves along a plane and it's the floor that bends downwards around him.

3/4 view, I've tried my best on idle poses but when he runs it looks awkward. Giving the camera some angle to catch him a little bit more from the front doesn't help either; one would lose some of what's happening in front of him. You said it, it's tricky.

#17 User is offline REPO Man 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostTimmiT, on 18 April 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Is this the first time you've seen anything made with Unreal Engine 4? :v:/>

Not really. But even so, it's still gorgeous. I mean, it makes me wish my laptop (bought for $300, American, in 2012, when it was considered "low-end") could run UE4. But it struggles with UE3.

#18 User is offline meinukey 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostMr Lange, on 19 April 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

it's that much more effort put into the wrong direction.

I've put no effort in painting some foliage on a flat terrain mesh. I need people to talk about how the animations and physics look and maybe give me some ideas, hence the title of the videos naming gameplay implementations and not shouting things like "graphical showcase" or things like that.

Now, you gotta believe me that I agree with you on most of what you say, I also see a lot of questionable artistic work out there, but I'm not going around telling them how they suck.
Time is going to show you how wrong you are.

#19 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
I look forward to being wrong. Please do prove it, as it means this would turn out great.

#20 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
I still feel like this is very early though, but he came to the right place for critique. He's at least making sure the mechanics of the game work, which is more important than the aesthetic. A lot of this stuff is likely placeholders.

Buy I'm cheering you on I think this can be great

#21 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostDark Sonic, on 20 April 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

He's at least making sure the mechanics of the game work, which is more important than the aesthetic. A lot of this stuff is likely placeholders.

In the end the physics and gameplay are irrelevant if there is a lack of proper level design and good aesthetics.
How many zones in 'rom hacks' can you count that even come close to those of the classic games? By definition they have the perfect engine, yet failing to compete with a 25 year old game... Not to mention the hardware now is many thousands of times faster and better on any metric imaginable than those times, making it easier to develop levels.

As for 3D games, the only 3D fan Sonic projects that come close to '06 and Unleashed are... PC ports of said levels.

#22 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostDark Sonic, on 20 April 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

He's at least making sure the mechanics of the game work, which is more important than the aesthetic.

I'd say it's about as important seeing how the entire point of a remaster is to make the original game look nicer. :V

#23 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:33 PM

This could either go very, very wrong or be totally amazing.

Regardless, I see no reason but to support the project and see how it turns out. I do have to agree on the graphics end, but considering he's still at the point of testing damage/engine elements and not the actual game yet, I'm willing to give it a wait and see. At least until we can see footage of an actual Zone.
This post has been edited by Fenrir: 20 April 2016 - 08:37 PM

#24 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

View PostFenrir, on 20 April 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Regardless, I see no reason but to support the project and see how it turns out.

Might I ask how are you going to support the project?

#25 User is online High Fidelity 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 21 April 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

View PostFenrir, on 20 April 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Regardless, I see no reason but to support the project and see how it turns out.

Might I ask how are you going to support the project?

And the point of this casual dig is? To try and make Fenrir look stupid?

Back on topic...

It's clearly wip at the moment but if you can eventually get it to this standard (or better) then you have a winner on your hands for sure. From your early progress it looks promising!

Just have to point out as well that some of the critique here is a little hash for such an early concept. Don't want to put the guy off after all.

#26 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
Physics look like they are coming along very nicely. I'm excited to see this further developed :)

#27 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5
I'll just put in my two cents.

Physics look really well done and if they're not "perfect" they're certainly enjoyable looking. Considering you can't do slopes with the standard character pawn, color me very impressed.

With the physics.

Your "graphical" "fidelity" is very lacking since it's really just generic forest assets, with misplaced materials that don't have Sonic fitting in with the environment. Also it's not "angel island" at all. Lighting information is all over the place and your bloom, as TimmiT (and I believe others) mentioned, is incredibly overbearing. Tone that shit down.

Your Blue Sphere map looks a lot like Xak's work from Sonic GDK, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It does look better visually, since it's got nice solid colors and a subtle fresnel on the spheres. Everything about that? You want THAT for your levels. maybe with a bit more detail on the materials, but that's the visual style you want to go for. This is for a few reasons:

• It's simpler to work with so you're not assaulted with details you can't focus on.
  • It's easier on the eyes, honestly; in a game like Sonic where you want to focus on what's coming up, that's *essential.*
  • If you're not exactly an artist, you won't have to rely on assets everyone knows won't fit.
  • Consistency is key. It looks professional and isn't distracting.
  • "Real" assets that you didn't make to look like they fit just look like an asset flip. Simple as that.

Remember this very important thing: UE4 is a tool. It's a tool with admittedly a specific look to it. The last thing you really want is to make it obvious your game's in UE4. You may think that's a good idea, but believe me. Once the whole "OH COOL SONIC IN UE4" spectale is gone, what you're left with is an inherently ugly looking product that has no artistic direction and becomes an eyesore. It doesn't need to be that.

Believe me, photoreal is HARD. Stylized work isn't "easy" per say, but there's more you can get away with since there's less variables.

Good luck fam :specialed:

#28 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

this looks amazing!

#29 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:36 AM

• Project:Platformer for the NES
Cool! A 2.5D engine with proper physics could mean a lot of possibilities!

I'm not gonna comment on the level assets, which I assume are only placeholders, but I strongly hope that you'll not pursue photorealism for the levels, and will instead stick to the surreal and stylized design of the classic series.

#30 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:18 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Gameplay looks alright so far. Keep it up, and really give it a good thrashing during testing. Once everything works properly, then go about enlisting some help to bring the stages themselves into the 21st century.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users