Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Realms 0.4.0 - Unity2D Engine - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Realms 0.4.0 - Unity2D Engine

#46 User is offline cmakeshift 

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

It seems to work fine on Linux except for one thing:

http://I.imgur.com/tIkPdIG.png

Sonic is a white blob. Most probably it is the open source graphics driver choking at the sprite shader. If you want I could try to help you make this work here too.

Overall, good job. The physics are not very accurate but serviceable. Didn't see any egregious bugs. I would play something using this. As has already been said, if I were you I'd take some notes from the SPG and give it some nice spit-shine.

View PostKillaMaaki, on 30 March 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

[...]
So, in short, if I were the OP I would definitely NOT worry about the level's appearance or layout. Get the physics and gameplay working. THEN worry about the other stuff.

Couldn't agree more. You could, however, rearrange the test level's layout to be more representative of how a real Sonic level is fleshed out, and make it more organic. It would help you get a better feeling of how it is going to play and help you gauge how the physics fit into the gameplay flow.

#47 User is offline KillaMaaki 

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

Ah, I think I've discovered something about why jumping doesn't always work while being pushed.
I moved a test block to the beginning of the level (copied from later) and did some testing - I tried logging whether or not the jump move had clearance. Turns out, while being pushed backwards, HasClearance appears to be returning false. Maybe one of the sensors is detecting the block? I'll do some more digging and see if I can't come up with a fix for this myself.

EDIT: Were there any edge cases in particular that having the HasClearance check solved? Because I can't seem to make it work properly, but removing it altogether completely solves the issue, and makes that particular section with all of those big sliding blocks a lot easier to navigate (much less "sticky").
This post has been edited by KillaMaaki: 02 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

#48 User is offline KOHCTPYKTOP 

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

• Project:Sonic Realms

View PostEpsilonsama, on 26 March 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

I suggest replacing all of SEGA artwork with original artwork, which goes back to my uniform tile set suggestion.

I do think a finished product would have stripped out SEGA's IP. A plain tile set wouldn't be difficult to make, though if it means replacing everything I have to wonder where to find new character sprites, sounds, music, etc.

On the one hand, I'd like to know what layer boost should be on - right now, I've put it on None but I wonder if it should be Roll instead (eventually I'll be removing the spin dash move from the character prefab once Boost works)?

I'd say to leave it on None or put in another layer enum for your move, which unfortunately is the only way to add new layers. As for OnValueChange and UI stuff, I'll see what I can do. Hope you don't mind the API changing around!

Were there any edge cases in particular that having the HasClearance check solved? Because I can't seem to make it work properly, but removing it altogether completely solves the issue, and makes that particular section with all of those big sliding blocks a lot easier to navigate (much less "sticky").

It's brought over from the physics guide and prevents Sonic from jumping in tight spaces, but causes problems as it checks after moving platforms push into Sonic but before Sonic pushes himself out of them.

I have a fix in the feature/better-physics branch that fixes it and other bugs if you want to merge, but be careful as I lumped in changes to the test zone.
This post has been edited by KOHCTPYKTOP: 02 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

#49 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
I see no reason to take the time to replace all Sega assets. Obviously if someone plans on selling their game, they can do it themselves. Sonic Worlds comes with all sorts of Sega artwork.

#50 User is offline KillaMaaki 

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostAtendega, on 03 April 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

I see no reason to take the time to replace all Sega assets. Obviously if someone plans on selling their game, they can do it themselves. Sonic Worlds comes with all sorts of Sega artwork.

Even a free thing like this still has a small chance of receiving a DMCA as long as it contains copyrighted assets. There could also be backlash against a released game if any of those assets made it into the build even if unused.
Plus, if the OP ever wants to polish things up and produce a kit for the Asset Store (free or paid, either way) he(/she?) would absolutely be required to remove any and all copyrighted assets.

#51 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
In the case of the Asset Store, obviously stuff would need to be replaced, but otherwise? Totally unnecessary. Think of the HUNDREDS of hacks and mods that use Sonic artwork. The chances of a DCMA for something like this are next to nil. Copyrighted assets have ended up in stuff before (Think about the leftover Nintendo assets in the PC version of Lost World) without consequence. Plus, if someone uses this for a commercial game, its THEIR responsibility to remove stuff.

#52 User is offline Just-in 

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could add a 2 Player mode because that's something I feel that a lot of fan games are missing.

#53 User is offline Foxeh 

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

• Animator
  • Project:Sonic AGES currently
hey KOHCTPYKTOP

I was trying to use your engine and I ended up running into trouble of trying to replace the character sprites with my own. or rather, im looking in the wrong area for where the animations load up the sprites.

mind telling me where I can replace the sonic 3k sprites so I can use something different instead? I really like this whole engine so I want to try to make things with it. please and thank you

Edit: Never mind I remember
This post has been edited by Foxeh: 26 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

#54 User is offline Krossaturno 

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:15 AM

I may be a bit late but this software will still be pretty handy for my purposes. Thanks for the heads up TC.

#55 User is offline Roki 

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:25 PM

• Project:Sonic C (Still in concept)
Sorry if I seem like a total noob for saying this, but how do I make my own levels?

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users