Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic in Unreal Engine 4 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic in Unreal Engine 4

#16 User is offline Gistix 

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

Newer video from the HDK on Ricardo's channel, there's a download link at the video's description.

#17 User is online winterhell 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:20 AM

Of course It'll get all the views if it looks remotely flashy. Since when did videos get popular for the gameplay?

#18 User is offline BlobVanDam 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

Damn, that OP video gets over half a million views for that? I'm going about my videos all wrong! It's not even gameplay, it's just Sonic jumping around with pretty graphics.

#19 User is offline Josh 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostBlobVanDam, on 17 July 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Damn, that OP video gets over half a million views for that? I'm going about my videos all wrong! It's not even gameplay, it's just Sonic jumping around with pretty graphics.

Yeah, you never really stop noticing that. What's really fun is reading some of the comments. I saw one on Reddit that was like, "This is the best Sonic game in 20 years!" Near the top of the thread, too.

#20 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostJosh, on 17 July 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostBlobVanDam, on 17 July 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Yeah, you never really stop noticing that. What's really fun is reading some of the comments. I saw one on Reddit that was like, "This is the best Sonic game in 20 years!" Near the top of the thread, too.

Memes and Speed, that's all it takes.

Gotta go fast folks :specialed:

#21 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
It's as though SGDK and HDK don't exist!

#22 User is offline Darth Taco 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

• Project:Shilling Sonic Mania
The power of Reddit, my friends. Maybe someone outta throw something like Sonic Incursion or Exodus up there after people forget about this. :v:
This post has been edited by Darth Taco: 17 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

#23 User is online Chimera 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostDarth Taco, on 16 July 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

For those wondering why Sonic's mouth is like that, it's because you can't pose Brawl Sonic's mouth. He has a bunch of separate face models that just go invisible for certain animations. (I'm sure there's some technical term for it, but I don't know.) It's like this for most of the characters.

The reason is the Wii can't handle morph targeting, and itd be much cheaper to hard swap between face models than accurately move facial points around with bones, which is what SEGA does for their games. This gives a similar effect and saves a lot of time, and its also what Smash 3DS does.

I don't know if this is just Megaman, but a similar system exists in Smash WiiU, even though characters like Ike visibly move their features instead of hard cutting between expressions. Perhapse its still used as an optomization when fighting, becauee seriously when are you going to be paying attention to Ike's face when you're kicking ass?

As for chosing that face, either the person found a model rigged with that expression already, or wanted to make somic edgy teh hedgy.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users