Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Neo Genesis - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Neo Genesis New CF 2.5 coder needed for this to still be a thing

#16 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:14 AM

• Project:CNC Sonic Sculpture/Artwork
Site is looking very nice, but what is the update?

#17 User is offline Pulse0 

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

• Project:Sonic Neo Genesis

View PostVectorCNC, on 25 June 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

Site is looking very nice, but what is the update?

Its the stuff labeled with "new" on it. Specifically the Game Basics.
It shows a very simple over view of the basic controls and displays the basic item boxes players will encounter in the game complete with descriptions.
Is a small update...

#18 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

• Project:Playing Wii U - ADD ME.
  • Wiki edits:5
Damn, this just re-sparked my interest in the stale fangame community.

#19 User is offline Ezequiel.M 

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Wow, wish I could do something like what you have done! Good job!

#20 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It looks quite lovely - clearly there's been a great deal of time and effort put into this thing and it definitely shows.

BUT

There's a few things which rain on your parade. The special effects (particularly the spindash dust cloud) - I'm guessing these were Sonic Worlds defaults but they kinda look a bit bleh. You can do better.

Music I'm not keen on. While it definitely fits that mid-90s era where developers slapped redbook audio soundtracks onto things, the tunes lack melodies and don't seem particularly suited to a Sonic game.

And City Lights Zone needs a palette change. You've got a blue Sonic and blue enemies standing on blue platforms with a blue background. You've got a nicer green colour further down - maybe that would be a good starting point?

Looks nice otherwise though!

#21 User is offline Pulse0 

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 26 June 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

There's a few things which rain on your parade. The special effects (particularly the spindash dust cloud) - I'm guessing these were Sonic Worlds defaults but they kinda look a bit bleh. You can do better.

Music I'm not keen on. While it definitely fits that mid-90s era where developers slapped redbook audio soundtracks onto things, the tunes lack melodies and don't seem particularly suited to a Sonic game.

And City Lights Zone needs a palette change. You've got a blue Sonic and blue enemies standing on blue platforms with a blue background. You've got a nicer green colour further down - maybe that would be a good starting point?

Rain? HA! more like candy snow.
Thanks for the feed back. We would really like more of it. A "this game is good" is fine and dandy but but telling us details about what you like about the game and or giving input about what you feel is "off" about the game is better imo.
---------Now to about what you said :P ---------
The effects: I'll gladly look into that, and no these effects are not sonic world's defaults, honestly you couldn't even call this engine Sonic world's. This is The Fusion Engine and from what I know Felik has built this thing from the ground up himself over the course of a few years. - The sonic worlds engine uses the default effects found in sonic games. (unless its been updated and I wasn't aware)

The Music: Could you talk more in-depth about the tracks? b/c one of the tracks are in fact from a sonic game as a place holder. It's just that, this particular song is so underused its not readily recognized. Which ultimately hurts your point of saying that the music is not particularly suited for a sonic game. So to getting your full thoughts on the matter would help a lot. (BTW whats is redbooks?)

City Light Zone: Yes much of the pallet is Blue but what about the all the red lining the floors, and the orange and red highlights on the cannons, and the yellow and black striped platforms. I will agree that distinction is a bit of an issue here. However I do counter with the fact that Speed highway is mostly blue as well. As much as this is 16bit era game we are taking cues from modern games as well, Sonic is still Sonic after all. BUT I'm glad you brought that up and I will address this.

Thanks for your input and keep it coming!

#22 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

• Wiki edits:19
Which is the original music track? I know that Act 2 of the first level plays the unused track for Lost Jungle.

#23 User is offline Falk 

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

View PostPulse0, on 26 June 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

(BTW whats is redbooks?)

http://www.giantbomb...udio/3015-6487/

Think Sonic CD, basically. Or half the PC games from the early 90s.

#24 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
Already the best 2D fangame, goddamn. Looks great, brilliant level design. How much of the art is original?

I might get around to cleaning up that city stage's sky if you slide me the assets, the indexed photo look is jarring (I'm decent at skies). I can recolor art pretty easily too if you want to try some different color schemes, the city and carnival stages are way too similar right now.

#25 User is offline Deef 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Whoa, Felik, that jungle level looks utterly amazing. Aesthetics and set pieces... So good..

#26 User is offline Felik 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostRitz, on 04 July 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

Already the best 2D fangame, goddamn. Looks great, brilliant level design. How much of the art is original?

the city and carnival stages are way too similar right now.

A good chunk (and by that I mean like 70% or more) of art is taken (also edited and recolored) from various lesser known Genesis and SNES games.

City and carnival stages are two acts of the same zone.
This post has been edited by Felik: 04 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

#27 User is offline Pulse0 

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

Minor Updates posted on the site

#28 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:55 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
That has to be the most polished and high quality title screen animation I've seen for a Sonic fan game.

#29 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:31 AM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
...A Countdown timer in the downloads section is considered Minor?!

Very looking forward to this game. Watched the footage of the 1st two zones again, and it just feels like a natural progression of Ideas from 3&K. Very awesome.

#30 User is offline 360 

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:07 AM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I don't know what happened back in June and how I somehow missed it - but this is the first time I'm seeing footage of the game. And wow. This looks amazing. Super impressive. So much love is clearly going in to this game and it shows. As I stated before this is a front runner for one of the best and most promising fangames on the horizon along with Sonic Classic 2 from Hez and Sonic XG from Nitemare. It's fantastic to see such a well produced game evolving so effortlessly and looking so enjoyable and promising. I'll be playing this in a heart beat when the demo/final release drops. Great work so far. Art, level design, production values - everything just looks great. The game seems to have clever gimmicks and intelligent level design too. Also loved the chase sequence at the end of the City zone.

As for the countdown timer - at a guess a polished and final demo of the first two zones? If so looking forward to trying it out.
This post has been edited by 360: 19 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users