Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Is there a Sonic '06 source code? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Is there a Sonic '06 source code?

#1 User is offline Chad Devore 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

I somewhat had the idea of "fixing" Sonic '06. I wanted to find the coding for Sonic '06 and make my own adjustments. I'd also like to see the code for Sonic Adventure, so I can try to make Sonic feel like he plays in the Adventure titles. I'd also like to clear out some missions, loading screens, and so on.

I'd like to do a full-on modification to this game. Is there a way to find the source code and do this sort of thing?

#2 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
No. The only way you're getting that is if you break into Sega's headquarters and steal it.

The closest we can come is disassembling (and sometimes decompiling, if it's a Windows game) the compiled code, which is not nearly as nice to look at.

#3 User is offline Chad Devore 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

How would I be able to do that? There weren't any PC releases, but I've seen some people, like Melpontro and Mefiresu, hack the game and edit some features. I'd like to learn how to do something similar. If I were to look at the compiled code, would I be able to translate and/or edit it somehow?

#4 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:22 PM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS
Wow, I didn't think I'd need to say this two times in one day.

First of all, Xenia is very much real.

Second, can we let go of this "omg we can finally fix 06" delusion? I feel like every time I turn around someone's trying to say this again. "It's Sonic's 20th anniversary, I bet they're going to remake 06." "We can hack Generations, I bet someone's gonna port 06 and make it good." "Xbox 360 emulators are a thing, I bet we can hack 06 and fix it." Stop. Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 is a bad game and it's about time we all got over that. If, miraculously, SEGA did remake it or someone did fix it (this is looking pretty promising) that'd be nice, but I'd love it if we stopped living in the past.

#5 User is offline Chad Devore 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

We want it fixed because it's (admittedly) the Sonic Team's final decent game. Plus, I thought it'd be a cool self project.

Well, that's my twentieth post. Time to wait for approval.

#6 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostS0LV0, on 12 June 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

(This is looking pretty promising)

Can we talk about this instead?

That engine looks great! I don't care if its replicating a shit game like 2006, those guys have some serious talent if they are able to do that much early in. I really hope this 2006 replication gets completed or at least get to a point where it can be open sourced.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 12 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

#7 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostChad Devore, on 12 June 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

We want it fixed because it's (admittedly) the Sonic Team's final decent game.
You... do know it's 2015, right? It's hard to argue that games like Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations have a large amount of quality over Sonic 06. Hell, even Sonic Lost World. No one needs Sonic 06 fixed, because we have better Sonic games to play that have come out both before and since.
This post has been edited by S0LV0: 12 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

#8 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

• Project:College, Brexit in Sonic 1

View PostChad Devore, on 12 June 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

We want it fixed because it's (admittedly) the Sonic Team's final decent game. Plus, I thought it'd be a cool self project.

Well, that's my twentieth post. Time to wait for approval.

Are you fucking kidding me? Somehow the pile of horseshit that nearly KILLED THE FRANCHISE is decent? Are you honestly trying to troll here or are you that deluded?

It's 2015. This dead horse has been beaten way to fucking much. It does not need to be "fixed" and it won't bloody be.

Good luck with that doc :specialed:

#9 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:21 AM

An Idea topic in the Fangame discussion with absolutely nothing to back up? Wasnt this added in the rules at one point?

#10 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:27 AM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"

View PostLanzer, on 12 June 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

View PostS0LV0, on 12 June 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

(This is looking pretty promising)

Can we talk about this instead?

That engine looks great! I don't care if its replicating a shit game like 2006, those guys have some serious talent if they are able to do that much early in. I really hope this 2006 replication gets completed or at least get to a point where it can be open sourced.

Credit where credit is due, the progress they've made is impressive. But even if they were able to get the physics and controls to something approaching a respectable quality, there's only so much you can do when Kingdom Valley and Crisis City are the only decently designed levels.

Though I do like the possibility of having a solid HD Adventure-style open source engine available. There's potential in that.

But not '06. It should be acknowledged for being the catalyst that led to positive changes in the franchise that gave us Colors and Generations; not as a commendable (or even passable) game in its own right.

#11 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View Postwinterhell, on 13 June 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

An Idea topic in the Fangame discussion with absolutely nothing to back up? Wasn't this added in the rules at one point?

This is not an idea topic; this is a topic asking about the existence of a publicly available Sonic '06 source code. If anything, it should have been posted in the Engineering/Reverse-Engineering Subforum.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users