Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Portal - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Portal

#16 User is offline Jase 

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Yeah I wonder if any of the videos I share are doing much justice to how well this mechanic could work. I'm not sure if this whole concept is that interesting to a lot of people (I mean the immersion in the Portal games is totally taken away in this project by being 2D) but damn it's fun to develop and I am learning a lot of stuff :v:

Here's a video I uploaded a while back showing the mechanics of another gel, an unused gel in the official portal that would allow you to stick to walls (Sort of like the spike form in Sonic Colours). Now see, this seems fun and interesting, but I don't know if it's stepping into the "disorientating gameplay" territory.

#17 User is offline magishun 

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:07 AM

This reminds me very much of Mari0, which was the original Super Mario Bros. with a portal gun.
This post has been edited by magishun: 05 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

#18 User is offline Flare 

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
Changing where you can run on adds such a cool new concept to Sonic. I mean running on walls and gravity is one of things he is known for but being able to control that looks incredibly fun.

#19 User is offline Liraxus 

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

• Enchilada
  • Project:Nothing, really.
Aperture Alley Zone

I dunno, that just came to mind. But this looks really solid, I just hope there's a good blend of Sonic's gameplay ideas with Portal's simplistic genius.

#20 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
This is really awesome, I don't even know where to begin about it.
For now at least I ought to point out the water parallax is not aligned right.
This post has been edited by Mr Lange: 14 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

#21 User is offline Jase 

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Ah thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. It's hard to keep motivation developing this as I keep hitting collision issues and optimisation issues, and I only have a handful of hours per week that get spent mainly on those issues. Once I solve one, I find another. Gets real tiresome. I just want to get something somewhat presentable out there for you guys to mess around with.

Mr Lange, Yeah I should really fix that water parallax alignment lol.

#22 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

• Project:Brawl Minus
This could be fun co-op.

One player shoots portals, another controls sonic.

#23 User is offline Jase 

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Yeah I love multiplayer stuff. I used to be obsessed with playing SRB2 online multiplayer, was good fun and was the one and only time I ever got to play some form of "Online Sonic" game.

I have designed the game to allow multiple characters that can be assigned to different input devices (Keyboard and Gamepad), so local multiplayer exists. Each character can have its own set of portals too, the engine allows an unlimited amount of different pairs of portals. Also I've made a very unfinished but still sort of functional online multiplayer. This sort of stuff would be fun to share but I don't really have anyone to help me out in creating multiplayer videos and whatnot. I could try and play as two players at the same time on my own but it'd look stupid on video lol.

I want to upload more stuff about this project in general. I spend a lot of time reaching big goals in a technical aspect, but it is not as visible to everyone unless they have had the same exposure to the game than I have, so I shy away from sharing anything about it. The game is far from finished but I want people to be part of the development journey with me if they are interested, but I'm not sure how to find people. I started up a blog but felt that was a silly idea because I have no idea how people would happen to come across that and also it doesn't feel as convenient for people to view.
This post has been edited by Jase: 14 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

#24 User is offline Jase 

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Just in case anyone is interested at all, I still work on this game!
I work on it when I have free time and not feeling mentally exhausted, which is pretty frequent as of now. I put up a video to briefly show local multiplayer a few months ago (still extremely early alpha, just getting the programming in mainly).
Also I only realised now that I did something really weird with the video's rendering settings, so things look weird and jittery. I should spend time figuring out the perfect video settings at some point, but I rather focus more strictly on developing the game as I really want to get something out there for people to play and solve puzzles themselves rather than have me ruin the fun. Nothing less exciting than a developer showing videos of their puzzle game and completing the puzzles before you even get the opportunity to attempt them.
I have a lot of surprises in store...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BB7XKbYOHgI
This post has been edited by Jase: 10 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

#25 User is offline cmakeshift 

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

I must say, getting Sonic and Tails to portal together is somewhat impressive to me. All the mechanics you showed so far look really solid.

Are you starting to think about what you want to do with this really nice framework you have? In terms of if it is going to become a game eventually, and how it would be structured, etc.

#26 User is offline Jase 

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

• ~~(_ _C^>
Thanks cmakeshift!
I have some very ambitious ideas I want to do. I won't go into detail too much because, as much as I'd appreciate the attention it could potentially bring to this project, I don't want to list a bunch of plans and features until I'm certain they are doable. I'll mention things I know will definitely happen or are already in progress.

With that said, I have this as the main goal of what to do with this engine:

A story mode in the style of how the Portal games do their story-telling (Story cutscene, do a puzzle or two, more story, etc., with the cutscenes not being too long-winded). In terms of skill level/difficulty, this will also be similar to how Portal do this: Start off easy and gets progressively complicated later on, but nothing too torturous... maybe... ;)
I have many ideas for certain parts of this mode and am currently experimenting and it feels interesting so far. Although it's only my opinion and perspective for now which could be skewed as I'm constantly developing and looking at this project all the time and don't get to see it purely for what it is.
There's also the question before I get too far into development; there will be the characters from Sonic 3 as playable characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles) as they each have interesting elements to add to portal-style puzzles. So- what is best to structure when to play as certain characters? Either pick the character and play (like Sonic 3 or Sonic Adventure 1), or have the characters selected when necessary to the plot (Sonic Adventure 2).

Co-op mode (unsure whether or not to follow Portal's route and make this story-driven or not as of now). This will be both local co-op and online multiplayer.

Map editor, that generates files to save and load. Also mod support and editors, so anyone can easily load and replace sprites easily and accurately.

A time trial mode. This will allow you to play story mode's puzzles quick and easily, as well as play other pre-made puzzles and can load maps made by the Map editor.

So that's a brief description of some of the structure this project will have. I don't see any reason why these will change as it sounds doable and fun to mess around with and I have developed each of these parts at least a tiny bit... except for time trial mode, but that would be easy as pie to program.......*2 years later* DAMNITHOW DO I PROGRAM TIME TRIAL.

#27 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

View PostJase, on 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

DAMNITHOW DO I PROGRAM TIME TRIAL.

You obviously make an external launcher for the game that kills the process after 10 or so minutes passed, doh. Learn from Ubisoft.

Btw the game looks interesting

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users