Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic MAX - Open-Source GMS Engine - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic MAX - Open-Source GMS Engine

#16 User is offline Okamikurainya 

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

• Project:Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
I'm really surprised there isn't more content in this topic. :ohdear:

Here's something I made in Sonic MAX:

A huge thanks to everyone behind the engine for giving me hours of tinkering and fun! :D
This post has been edited by Okamikurainya: 01 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

#17 User is offline TruePowerofTeamwork 

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

• Project:Sonic Overture, Teal Game Engine, TealSonic
I totally forgot about this thread, but I guess it's about time to announce this.
I really appreciate all the support, it's been really nice to see people having fun with my engine, so I'm sorry to say this.
Some of you may have heard about TealSonic and the Teal game engine which was discussed in the Overture thread.
Well, Sonic MAX was supposed to have a huge update with lots of features, fixes, and was made to be generally easier to use.
It was nearly finished, but it ended up unreleased, as I see no reason to continue MAX.
GameMaker has been an absolute pain to work with, and has really limited what I can do.
I had to use lots of annoying workarounds to get somethings from MAX working in GMS.
That's exactly why I made Teal, all of the other 2D-based game engines just won't suffice, I can't do all the stuff I want a Sonic engine to do, and anything I can do becomes an actual pain when it doesn't need to be.
So I decided to discontinue MAX, and not finish the update.
I'm not particularly proud of MAX. It's way too hard to use, has little documentation, and it's just kind of a complicated mess. Updating or changing anything regarding physics felt like playing a Jenga game. lol
When Teal and TealSonic are released, there really will be no reason to use MAX.
I am extremely proud of it and really excited to show it. We will be showing updates and info on both Teal and TealSonic after SAGE, I can't wait to share it!

#18 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
Why not do a "fuck it, ship it" update with what you have finished to tide people over with?

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users