Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 HD General - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 HD General

#31 User is offline Falk 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostThe Taxman, on 24 June 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 24 June 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

I thought they'd moved into the indie scene - the trajectory was away from Sonic Retro last time I heard. Because a community partly formed on dissecting Sonic 2... spent too much time dissecting Sonic 2... or something.

Hey I hope the Emerald Hill Zone music has those missing notes put back in this time around :specialed:/>/>/>

You're right about that (the moving onto independent games at least). You're thinking of Scanline99 and Cerulean Nights who went on to form PagodaWest Games and create Major Magnet. Considering we hung out together at E3, I can say they're not working on Sonic 2 HD.

You forgot Tee, who also did the (amazing) soundtrack for Major Magnet. (He was at PAX last year at least for some sense of legitimacy)

#32 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostGerbilSoft, on 24 June 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

• Will "Hack Detection" be implemented as an easter egg?

My most requested feature. :D

I second the other questions though. I hope they get a much better workflow arranged this time, and the access to inserting assets into the current build of the game is provided to everyone on the team. It sounds obvious, but it sounds like it wasn't that obvious the last time. :v: (From what I heard that is)
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 24 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

#33 User is online GerbilSoft 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostDario FF, on 24 June 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

I second the other questions though. I hope they get a much better workflow arranged this time, and the access to inserting assets into the current build of the game is provided to everyone on the team. It sounds obvious, but it sounds like it wasn't that obvious the last time. :v:

I use git for my own projects and at work. Git (and Hg) allows each developer to have a complete history of the entire repository. This works well because, among other things, it allows for completely offline development (you only need to connect to the main server to push changes back to the 'master' repository).

I highly recommend using git or Hg for this sort of project, especially if there's multiple developers involved.

#34 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostGerbilSoft, on 24 June 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I use git for my own projects and at work. Git (and Hg) allows each developer to have a complete history of the entire repository. This works well because, among other things, it allows for completely offline development (you only need to connect to the main server to push changes back to the 'master' repository).

I highly recommend using git or Hg for this sort of project, especially if there's multiple developers involved.

I second this, but apparently the issues were a bit more complicated than just getting a common repository. The last programmer was the only one with access to implementing assets into the game due to the package format.* That must've slowed the workflow a ton, since it must be pretty annoying and demotivating for the artists to be unable to iterate with the assets and test them in-game.

*: I don't recall where I heard this, but there's probably not much point to bringing up past drama.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 24 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

#35 User is online GerbilSoft 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
That's something else that should be included in the repository: utilities to work with any custom formats as well as documentation. (Alternatively, if the customized format isn't really required, use a standard format, such as ZIP archives.)

#36 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

• Charismatic Sonicaholic
  • Project:Throwing my support behind others' projects (aka none)
I still think "Remastered" is a better and more accurate title :v:/>

All jokes aside, I'm interested to see where this goes.

#37 User is offline Falk 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostBlivsey, on 24 June 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I still think "Remastered" is a better and more accurate title :v:

All jokes aside, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Eh, speaking from personal experience, "Remastered" automatically condemns your fate to having your fanbase bitch about not having the ability to switch to the old soundtrack.

</snark>

#38 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostFalk, on 24 June 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

View PostThe Taxman, on 24 June 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 24 June 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

I thought they'd moved into the indie scene - the trajectory was away from Sonic Retro last time I heard. Because a community partly formed on dissecting Sonic 2... spent too much time dissecting Sonic 2... or something.

Hey I hope the Emerald Hill Zone music has those missing notes put back in this time around :specialed:/>/>/>/>

You're right about that (the moving onto independent games at least). You're thinking of Scanline99 and Cerulean Nights who went on to form PagodaWest Games and create Major Magnet. Considering we hung out together at E3, I can say they're not working on Sonic 2 HD.

You forgot Tee, who also did the (amazing) soundtrack for Major Magnet. (He was at PAX last year at least for some sense of legitimacy)

My bad, he wasn't at E3 but yeah Tee's work for MM was fantastic!

#39 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
Amazing news that this has come back, Sonic 2HD was the reason I signed up to Retro to submit my music. I'm more than happy for the team to use it again and they have my complete permission to use whatever parts they want to providing Canned Karma still has the individual audio files. If not then I'll submit them again.

#40 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
For the love of god, I hope the coders have learnt the lesson from LOst's bullshit - don't deploy DRM measures in a fangame that you're already technically infringing IP rights on.That said, I'd also approve of an Easter Egg about Hacking Detection =P

Also some slightly less insane system requirements would be nice.

#41 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
Did l0st ever return to these boards? Sonic 2 HD aside, he was such a long tenured member here.

#42 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
Nah, some say he became l0st with all the Sonic On The Internet. =P

Edit: Jesus, my fingers must be fat, cause I somehow hit the submit button on my phone.

Anyways, I'm somewhat skeptical of the return of S2HD. Not to rain on their parade, but the need for it seems redundant. S2 already has been "remastered" officially. Not for nothing, but HD graphics in Sonic 2 really doesn't seem to be a good selling point as others have done everything but that. If the remastered/remake/ports of S2 has everything but that and more, why even bother? There isn't much left to do with Sonic 2. HD graphics are old hat. That is all they can claim they have in their project, as everything else they could possibly do has been done. In some cases, even better than their(the S2HD team) abilities and imaginations.

Time will tell I suppose, but I'm not to excited.
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 24 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

#43 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostSuper Egg, on 24 June 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Nah, some say he became l0st with all the Sonic On The Internet. =P

http://instantrimshot.com/

#44 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostCooljerk, on 24 June 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Did l0st ever return to these boards? Sonic 2 HD aside, he was such a long tenured member here.

His profile says he's not signed in since the 30th of March 2012, so I guess not...

#45 User is offline Quarterman 

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

• Just another day in paradise.
  • Project:Talking to squirrels. The squirrels are talking back.
  • Wiki edits:6
Cool news, I guess. I'm not entirely convinced that there won't be a massive meltdown, but good luck.

• 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users