Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mega Drive. Update: Demo download available - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mega Drive. Update: Demo download available As classic as you can get

#16 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

• Full of surprises, pull the ribbons for details~
  • Wiki edits:16
I actually prefer the traditional HUD, something about it seems more "organised", it has a slight sense of style. As for the posibility of selecting between the two, sure, why not! But which one will you have displayed by default?

#17 User is offline Felik 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Posted Image
I updated it a bit.

Classic HUD will be displayed as default because ultimately it's a pure classic fangame.

#18 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
I really like it. It's a mixture of Chaotix and Classic yet not as strange looking as the former or plain looking as the latter.

#19 User is offline Hez 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I mean, I like the idea, but I don't think its "As classic as you can get". Considering we haven't seen gameplay, the graphics themselves look very very advanced (sonic advance style I mean). Now, if we're throwing advance in the classic group, then it looks great. But you don't look like you really have an established art style yet, which is throwing the game off.
This post has been edited by Hez: 25 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

#20 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostHez, on 25 May 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

I mean, I like the idea, but I don't think its "As classic as you can get". Considering we haven't seen gameplay, the graphics themselves look very very advanced (sonic advance style I mean). Now, if we're throwing advance in the classic group, then it looks great. But you don't look like you really have an established art style yet, which is throwing the game off.

Fusion had the same problem IMO

#21 User is offline Flare 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
Yeh, I always feel that Sonic 2 was always associated with a certain style, as was Sonic 1 and 3. Since you have detailed backgrounds why not aim for that chaotix style? I always thought this sheet of Sonic was a nice edit, may help blend in more with the graphics you are using. http://www.spriters-...ic/sheet/49607/

#22 User is offline Felik 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Considering we haven't seen gameplay

Um... bother to check first post? :v:

Yeh, I always feel that Sonic 2 was always associated with a certain style, as was Sonic 1 and 3. Since you have detailed backgrounds why not aim for that chaotix style? I always thought this sheet of Sonic was a nice edit, may help blend in more with the graphics you are using. http://www.spriters-...ic/sheet/49607/

I do aim for a chaotix style, so I hope later there will be more sprite edits to accomplish that (I kinda suck at spriting so I have to rely on other people for that)

#23 User is offline Falk 

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

I actually missed the video too

Artstyle looks much slicker in motion. Only peeve I have is loops being circle-pasted-over-ground syndrome. But don't mind me :V

#24 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

• I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Wiki edits:2
The gameplay looks solid, and the change to the HUD seems to work well. My only input on making it seem more "Mega Drive" would be to ditch your current music for chiptunes.

#25 User is offline Falk 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

Not sure about that. Call me biased but it's already clearly not going to be '16-bit' 16-bit due to widescreen and shiny particle effects.

Something light like what Emerald Ties did would probably be the sweet spot.

SEGA CD existed and stuff. :V

#26 User is offline Felik 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostFalk, on 27 May 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Not sure about that. Call me biased but it's already clearly not going to be '16-bit' 16-bit due to widescreen and shiny particle effects.

Well, yeah. Sonic Mega Drive just sounds cool. I don't want to restrain myself and not use more advanced technologies which were not present on Sega Genesis as long as they amplify player experience and don't hurt genesis-esq art style. Also I'm aiming at Knuckles Chaotix art style anyway.

#27 User is offline Falk 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:58 AM

Ah, to clarify, was talking about the comment about music and chiptune.

#28 User is offline Hez 

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostFelik, on 25 May 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Considering we haven't seen gameplay

Um... bother to check first post? :v:/>

I do aim for a chaotix style, so I hope later there will be more sprite edits to accomplish that (I kinda suck at spriting so I have to rely on other people for that)

I didn't, I was on mobile. My bad :3

But yeah, I still stand with my opinion on a unified art style. Maybe start by choosing your favorite style from 1-3 and modify them?

#29 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

• I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Wiki edits:2

In regard to bias, I have a thing for chiptunes. So sue me.

#30 User is offline Felik 

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostArctides, on 30 May 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

In regard to bias, I have a thing for chiptunes. So sue me.

Well if some1 made an alternative chiptune soundtrack I would totally include it in the game as an alternative.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users